Traded Aaron Hall [traded to North Melbourne for pick 68]

Who won this trade?

• Gold Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If North get him for a forth rounder they really are only giving up cash to get him.

While his kicking isn’t the greatest, he can rack up the stats on the outside. At 28, I wonder if North think they can get him to run two ways or they will be happy to continue using him as that unaccountable outside player. Perhaps they feel that they can cover one guy in the team that doesn’t have to work when the opposition has the ball.

Will be interesting to see how he goes.

As long as the Roos play him at the centre bounces he will gather stats. He can’t get into the game in other positions.

He is worth a shot though especially at the cheap trade price. But I feel he might become a whipping boy for North fans during the season once the new shine wears off and his less desirable traits become more noticeable.

....continue using him as that unaccountable outside player. Perhaps they feel that they can cover one guy in the team that doesn’t have to work when the opposition has the ball.

Will be interesting to see how he goes.

This unaccountable stuff is starting to get blown out of proportion.

His career tackle average would place him 7th on the 2018 Richmond list.

Tackles aren’t the be all and end all of defensive pressure. Three coaches were frustrated with his lack of two way running and he wasn’t dropped to the NEAFL because of his tackle numbers.

Tackles aren’t the be all and end all of defensive pressure. Three coaches were frustrated with his lack of two way running and he wasn’t dropped to the NEAFL because of his tackle numbers.

Do you have any pressure act stats you can table?

I admit I haven't seen much of him in recent years, but his best footy is certainly worthy of a spot in the side.

He's going to play 4th bannana outside of two AA midfielders and another who will go close to his club B&F next week.

I think Hall will play mainly high half forward anyway. We need goals from these position, team defence is a given, but I want the ball his hands going forward, if we wanted a chase down bulldog without any offensive game, we'd play Kane Turner in the position.

Genuinely think based on the rumored cost, he will be one of the better recruits of 2019. Could see him averaging 20+ and kicking 25+ next year.

He's going to play 4th bannana outside of two AA midfielders and another who will go close to his club B&F next week.

I think Hall will play mainly high half forward anyway. We need goals from these position, team defence is a given, but I want the ball his hands going forward, if we wanted a chase down bulldog without any offensive game, we'd play Kane Turner in the position.

Genuinely think based on the rumored cost, he will be one of the better recruits of 2019. Could see him averaging 20+ and kicking 25+ next year.
yeah, high half foward is his go. he's a nice long kick.

good get; good risk reward.

One of the highlights of the trade period is the extremely backhanded compliments.

"He can't do this, this, this and this, and is terrible at these things, but maybe a change of environment will help him so I wish him well"

One of the highlights of the trade period is the extremely backhanded compliments.

"He can't do this, this, this and this, and is terrible at these things, but maybe a change of environment will help him so I wish him well"

Yes, and if you challenge a point you are automatically "defensive".

Agree.
This probably isn’t too different to what he’s been doing at Gold Coast. He’s never had any problems getting disposals and kicking goals. In fact he’s been dropped several times after having good games with high stats.

Despite his shortcomings it seems that it will be a late pick and cash that you will be giving up to get him, so it’s a decent gamble. Particularly if the team has a game plan that can cover his deficiencies.

Agree.
This probably isn’t too different to what he’s been doing at Gold Coast. He’s never had any problems getting disposals and kicking goals. In fact he’s been dropped several times after having good games with high stats.

Despite his shortcomings it seems that it will be a late pick and cash that you will be giving up to get him, so it’s a decent gamble. Particularly if the team has a game plan that can cover his deficiencies.

North didn't have a single player hit those numbers last year. It's actually rarer than you think.

Higgins had alot more of the ball and kicked less than a goal a game.
Ziebell kicked kicked 35 odd goals, but averaged under the 20 disposal mark.

Dustin Martin & Luke Parker were the only two players in the comp to do it in 2018.

Dangerfield, Coniglio and Tim Kelly all kicked 24 goals.

Bruest, Caddy, Ziebell, De Goey, Josh Thomas all averaged under 20 disposals.

Bontempelli, Wingard, Heeney etc didn't kick enough goals.

North didn't have a single player hit those numbers last year. It's actually rarer than you think.

Higgins had alot more of the ball and kicked less than a goal a game.
Ziebell kicked kicked 35 odd goals, but averaged under the 20 disposal mark.

Dustin Martin & Luke Parker were the only two players in the comp to do it in 2018.

Dangerfield, Coniglio and Tim Kelly all kicked 24 goals.

Bruest, Caddy, Ziebell, De Goey, Josh Thomas all averaged under 20 disposals.
Yeah on pure stats alone it’s a great return. Baffles many as to why he was dropped to the NEAFL by three coaches when he was producing good stats, particularly when Gold Coast wasn’t flush with quality mids.

Worth the gamble no doubt.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah on pure stats alone it’s a great return. Baffles many as to why he was dropped to the NEAFL by three coaches when he was producing good stats, particularly when Gold Coast wasn’t flush with quality mids.

Agree he is worth the gamble, is a flat out offensive weapon when he's on.

I've watched most AFL games in the past 2 years, especially 2017 (had a broken leg) and can understand completely why he was dropped/out of favour at times. In a young side that was struggling, that has seemingly needed to 'go back to basics', Hall doesn't do what a lot of coaches would consider 'non negotiables' in this circumstance. He is as loose as a wizards sleeve on his direct opponent and can at times put his head down if things aren't going his way. On the second note, he can also do some silly things to almost 'force create' something brilliant when a simple handball or chip kick for example would have been the 'team thing'. His consistency not only week to week but qtr to qtr has been big problem for Hall too. Can produce magic bursts and even games at times, but struggles to stay involved and provide constant effort and indeed, two way effort. Don't think he is much of a leader either (opinion based obviously) so he couldn't hang his hat on that he was providing a good example when his own performance wasn't there either.

His positives are strong, boy can he play the game but the negatives are certainly there too. A change of scenery and a team where he will get next to no focus might do him a world of good.

My 2c.

Have you actually watched him play though? He's about as accountable as Colin Sylvia and has plenty of games where he just butchers it constantly- often corresponding with him being dropped. * that stats, GC should've turfed him ages ago. Can't imagine he's the sort of player many would want to play with, and nor is he the sort of player many coaches would tolerate for long (and they generally haven't even at a basket case like GC).

Have you actually watched him play though? He's about as accountable as Colin Sylvia and has plenty of games where he just butchers it constantly- often corresponding with him being dropped. **** that stats, GC should've turfed him ages ago. Can't imagine he's the sort of player many would want to play with, and nor is he the sort of player many coaches would tolerate for long (and they generally haven't even at a basket case like GC).
Finally, someone who has actually watched him play!

GOLD Coast list manager Craig Cameron has taken a swipe at outgoing midfielder Aaron Hall for the way he signalled his intention to get to North Melbourne during this year's NAB AFL Trade Period.

The 27-year-old was keen to find himself a fresh start at another club next season and Gold Coast seemed unlikely to stand in his way, but he appeared in a video on the Kangaroos' website on Wednesday and spoke of his desire to play at Arden Street in 2019.

It was a move that looks to have upset Suns officials, and Cameron didn't back away from that fact when he spoke on NAB AFL Trade Radio on Thursday.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-04/suns-list-manager-takes-swipe-at-hall

What about the character of a bloke that appears on a rival clubs website before trade period has even started? Cameron rightly not happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the character of a bloke that appears on a rival clubs website before trade period has even started? Cameron rightly not happy.

Must admit I found this very strange and to a degree inappropriate.

What I'd like to know is why wouldn't the Suns now chase a 2nd round pick from North given the OTT public commitment of North and Hall?
They run the risk of appearing more and more like a joke and feeder club with how they hemorrhage players... They are REPORTEDLY, literally getting nothing for Hall (4th round pick?) so why not take a stance on this one? If I was a Suns official i'd be saying 2nd round pick or take your chances that he gets to you in the PSD.

Tell me another job where I can go to my boss and say ...sorry I don't want to work here anymore but can you please help me get to a direct competitor who will pay me more money and my job will be to ensure that my new employer is better than you?

Tell me another job where employees slam competitors into the ground for attempting to gain a competitive edge

Hall for a 4th round pick is not bad at all. If they can pull off Polec, Hall and Gaff, their 'meh' midfield starts looking pretty formidable.

Back