Strategy Aaron Naughton - Key Defender or Key Forward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mattdougie

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Did anyone hear the interview with Crozier last night, either on K rock or Triple M? I'm pretty sure he said Naughton prefers playing back :(
Naughton said it himself after the Richmond game

If someone has the internet knowledge to find his on field post game interview and link it here I would be much appreciated.

Werewolf

Feb 12, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Also listened to the Harry Taylor interview and he mentioned that Naughton told him he feels more comfortable in defence. Whether that's due to lower expectations on taking marks or no pressure to convert goals, at this stage Naughton has to play forward since options are limited.
To each their own, but I could never understand that myself. My whole life playing footy, I've always found defence far more stressful since your failure to do your job properly can directly result in an opponent scoring, and it feels like the spotlight is placed on you far more than if you sit in the goal square. Although I can see why being a Key Forward may be a little harsher

Dogsman16

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
ok (I’m obviously completely opposed to it) but Naughton goes back. Who/How do we replace him up forward.

I’m not opposed to bringing in Jenkins but it would be for him to play along side Naughton and Schache.

A key forward combination of Schache/Jenkins is short-sighted and imo doesn’t the job done. A contested beast like Naughton is required.

Mattdougie

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So now there is more evidence that Naughts wants to play back as I said he said months ago.

In a perfect world I think we would move hm back but list now dictates where he plays

Mattdougie

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If he played back on the weekend, there's no way we win that game!
Absolutely and that’s isnt my debate mate

All I’ve been saying is he would prefer to play back so I think the club are trying to facilitate that move if they can. If they can’t he will stay forward but IF Schache can improve and in 2021 Ugle(most likely) coming on board I think Naughts back is the goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Norm De Guerre

Left of the dial.
Mar 27, 2004
Sharpening Occums Razor
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Australian Farnarkling XI
Considering he's equal leader in the contested marks stakes across the entire competition, whilst at the same time playing the most demanding position on the ground. I think that its safe to assume that aside from the occasional stint where he's sent to the backline to act as a firefighter that he can put out of his mind playing in his 'preferred' position and can concentrate on delivering on his early promise of being the best kpf recruited to the club since Chris Grant.

The 4th Horseman

Team Captain
Mar 25, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Has to play key forward now. Had a few weeks of down form but only to be expected as a 19 year old. At his best atm, he’s a match winner. Imagine him in a couple more years, and then at his prime.

Continuity creates confidence, belief and in Naughtons case, contested marks and goals.

The war chest will add a few prized pieces to the puzzle, all over the ground.

Brace yourselves for a big 2020.

Top Bottom