Strategy Aaron Naughton - Key Defender or Key Forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone hear the interview with Crozier last night, either on K rock or Triple M? I'm pretty sure he said Naughton prefers playing back :(

Naughton said it himself after the Richmond game

If someone has the internet knowledge to find his on field post game interview and link it here I would be much appreciated.

Also listened to the Harry Taylor interview and he mentioned that Naughton told him he feels more comfortable in defence. Whether that's due to lower expectations on taking marks or no pressure to convert goals, at this stage Naughton has to play forward since options are limited.
To each their own, but I could never understand that myself. My whole life playing footy, I've always found defence far more stressful since your failure to do your job properly can directly result in an opponent scoring, and it feels like the spotlight is placed on you far more than if you sit in the goal square. Although I can see why being a Key Forward may be a little harsher

ok (I’m obviously completely opposed to it) but Naughton goes back. Who/How do we replace him up forward.

I’m not opposed to bringing in Jenkins but it would be for him to play along side Naughton and Schache.

A key forward combination of Schache/Jenkins is short-sighted and imo doesn’t the job done. A contested beast like Naughton is required.

So now there is more evidence that Naughts wants to play back as I said he said months ago.

In a perfect world I think we would move hm back but list now dictates where he plays

So now there is more evidence that Naughts wants to play back as I said he said months ago.

In a perfect world I think we would move hm back but list now dictates where he plays
If he played back on the weekend, there's no way we win that game!

If he played back on the weekend, there's no way we win that game!

Absolutely and that’s isnt my debate mate

All I’ve been saying is he would prefer to play back so I think the club are trying to facilitate that move if they can. If they can’t he will stay forward but IF Schache can improve and in 2021 Ugle(most likely) coming on board I think Naughts back is the goal.

Considering he's equal leader in the contested marks stakes across the entire competition, whilst at the same time playing the most demanding position on the ground. I think that its safe to assume that aside from the occasional stint where he's sent to the backline to act as a firefighter that he can put out of his mind playing in his 'preferred' position and can concentrate on delivering on his early promise of being the best kpf recruited to the club since Chris Grant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has to play key forward now. Had a few weeks of down form but only to be expected as a 19 year old. At his best atm, he’s a match winner. Imagine him in a couple more years, and then at his prime.

Continuity creates confidence, belief and in Naughtons case, contested marks and goals.

The war chest will add a few prized pieces to the puzzle, all over the ground.

Brace yourselves for a big 2020.

Games like this support the defence argument. When the midfield is failing this badly, it helps to have a general who can cover much of the defensive zone and intercept.

But hey, he had good games against Geelong and Richmond, therefore anyone saying he must play defence is wrong. Keep him forward, inconsistency doesn't matter apparently.

Games like this support the defence argument. When the midfield is failing this badly, it helps to have a general who can cover much of the defensive zone and intercept.

But hey, he had good games against Geelong and Richmond, therefore anyone saying he must play defence is wrong. Keep him forward, inconsistency doesn't matter apparently.

He's in his second year. Every 19yo key forward is inconsistent. Your argument must mean we didn't have this happen last year when he "controlled the defence"

He’s brought the ball down to ground every time and missed an easy shot.

When our midfield doesn’t fire, our interceptors get exposed. So really Naughton would be more value when the ball movement into our defence is slower, he would be pretty ineffective today, down there.

He's in his second year. Every 19yo key forward is inconsistent. Your argument must mean we didn't have this happen last year when he "controlled the defence"
My point is the answer of where he plays long term isn't even remotely as clear as people like you make it out to be.

He played a good game against Geelong amidst several quiet games, and you're all out on your high horse saying forward is clearly the answer.
Today we have an example of a game where he clearly would've been much more helpful in defence, but all those posters are now quiet.

Like it or not, there is still a strong argument for him to play in the backline long-term, especially with a player as bad as Cordy getting games as a key pivot.

Today we have an example of a game where he clearly would've been much more helpful in defence, but all those posters are now quiet.
Quiet because you posted this during the second quarter of said game, which is frankly ridiculously reactive.

The bulk of St Kildas goals by that ppoint had been scored after a turnover, with their mids and small forwards front running so much they may as well be sat in the first row. Naughtons strength is as an intercept defender. You normally need to be set up to play that role, so I doubt he'd have been effective. Besides, their talls did s**t all, so one on one compared to Cordy the different would've been negligible.

If you want real improvement in defence, we need outside mids who can work hard defensively and stop them getting over the top of our defence so easily. Hunter is the only one who can.

Quiet because you posted this during the second quarter of said game, which is frankly ridiculously reactive.
I could've posted it during or after Naughton's many quiet games up forward this year.

The bulk of St Kildas goals by that ppoint had been scored after a turnover, with their mids and small forwards front running so much they may as well be sat in the first row. Naughtons strength is as an intercept defender. You normally need to be set up to play that role, so I doubt he'd have been effective. Besides, their talls did s**t all, so one on one compared to Cordy the different would've been negligible.
Have you not watched Rance play? Or better yet, Easton Wood at his best?
High quality intercept players have this skill that's known as "reading the play", part of which involves reacting quickly to turnovers. Rance at his best gets Richmond out of jail many times, as do all the leading intercept defenders in the competition for their respective clubs. Right now, only Crozier can do this for us on a consistent basis, a medium-sized defender.

If you want real improvement in defence, we need outside mids who can work hard defensively and stop them getting over the top of our defence so easily. Hunter is the only one who can.
Now you're being "ridiculously reactive" to one game. Our runners on the outside like Hunter and Macrae are usually great defensively.

Then you have all the games where Cordy gets absolutely monstered in the 1v1 contests, like against West Coast. Not many goals out the back there when Cordy's consistently getting outbodied or missing spoils.

If we want to optimize Naughton as a player, we should play him in defence. He's got great defensive instincts and finished top 5 in our B&F playing in defence last year as an 18 year old. He does not have sharp forward instincts, and may never have them. Some argue he's yet to develop instincts, but I'm more inclined to believe some players are just born natural goalscorers, something I believe Naughton isn't.

I could've posted it during or after Naughton's many quiet games up forward this year.

Have you not watched Rance play? Or better yet, Easton Wood at his best?
High quality intercept players have this skill that's known as "reading the play", part of which involves reacting quickly to turnovers. Rance at his best gets Richmond out of jail many times, as do all the leading intercept defenders in the competition for their respective clubs. Right now, only Crozier can do this for us on a consistent basis, a medium-sized defender.

Now you're being "ridiculously reactive" to one game. Our runners on the outside like Hunter and Macrae are usually great defensively.

Then you have all the games where Cordy gets absolutely monstered in the 1v1 contests, like against West Coast. Not many goals out the back there when Cordy's consistently getting outbodied or missing spoils.

If we want to optimize Naughton as a player, we should play him in defence. He's got great defensive instincts and finished top 5 in our B&F playing in defence last year as an 18 year old. He does not have sharp forward instincts, and may never have them. Some argue he's yet to develop instincts, but I'm more inclined to believe some players are just born natural goalscorers, something I believe Naughton isn't.
You were taking a shot at posters for being quiet this game. 35 mins after the game started. I'm all for talking about the make up of the team, but not when the person is simply out for petty point scoring.

We've been getting caught out the back ever since Bevo took over. Peak Wood didn't stop it, as the play went over his head. Naughton would be the same. You need quick and hard running players who can close space and limit options. Hunter is hard running but not quick, and suckling is underrated in this aspect of the game too. Daniel manages to get back but he's usually ineffective as a defensive player.

Yes Cordy gets mauled 1 on 1. But he didn't today. You're trying to point score from this game, yet this game wasn't an example of where Naughtons strength as a defender would have been utilised.

You were taking a shot at posters for being quiet this game. 35 mins after the game started. I'm all for talking about the make up of the team, but not when the person is simply out for petty point scoring.
Spare me, he had a poor game from start to finish so you're clutching at straws. There's no rule about when people can make posts in this thread.

We've been getting caught out the back ever since Bevo took over. Peak Wood didn't stop it, as the play went over his head. Naughton would be the same.
Redundant point. Nobody can stop any type of scoring altogether.
Would Naughton in defence stop scoring from balls out the back? No. Could he potentially reduce the flow or lessen the effectiveness of them? Yes.
Yes Cordy gets mauled 1 on 1. But he didn't today. You're trying to point score from this game, yet this game wasn't an example of where Naughtons strength as a defender would have been utilised.
Hahaha, yeah I'm really trying to "point score", because I'm the only one ragging on Cordy after today, aren't I?

You are delusional if you seriously believe Naughton in defence today wouldn't have given us a much better chance of winning. He did nothing up forward today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back