yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
Should be a backman & wow, what a backman
Naughton, Weitering & Moore the 3 all Australian tall back for the next 5 years.
Wow!

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Should be a backman & wow, what a backman
Naughton, Weitering & Moore the 3 all Australian tall back for the next 5 years.
Wow!

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nah. Teams can curate good defences with fairly limited players. A player of Naughton's ability must be utilised up forward.

Plus, imagine his kicking coming out of defensive 50...

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sorry, but Im just not seeing anything beyond a short lived hype factor. Pretty much has one trick in his bag. Takes a hanger. Accuracy is a concern, does very little else. Will be great when the dogs win big.

Im not invested until he completes his game
Literally got 8 coaches votes last week off a 1 goal game

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Probably my favourite current non-Geelong player.
Thought Jack Henry might be able to match him for fearlessness in the air tonight.
I'm with the Op; Naughton is Something Special.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Mate, I've watched Naughton play, and I see him as a player that I BELIEVE is being overhyped in the media and the footy world. This doesn't mean he's a sh*t player. It means I BELIEVE he is being pumped up beyond what he is. He does need to work on his kicking, and he does need to work on other areas of his game. (AT THIS STAGE) he is a great forward mark, takes great marks but has a lot to work on to meet the hype that he is receiving.

Just because it doesn't fit your opinions, don't accuse me of acting like a troll.
Of the key forwards according to stats pro:

- Number 1 in the comp for marks inside 50.
- 8th for average disposals, 6th if you exclude Daniher and Jackson who regularly ruck
- 3rd for mark on the lead
- 4th for score involvements
-4th for average shots on goal
- 7th for uncontested possessions
- A respectable 23rd for pressure acts and tackles inside 50

The Stats say he does pretty much everything apart from goal kicking at a decent standard. No doubt there's some forward craft and leading pattern stuff for him to work on. He's not Tom Hawkins, Jack Riewoldt or Tex Walker like levels of craft. But to say he has one trick is flatly wrong.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ok then name 5 better prospects of similar age that you think will have a better career than him?

You do realise he led competition contested marks at 19 years of age which is a record and is leading contested marks again this year.
as I mentioned previously, I talked about more than his marking ability. I don't disagree with what you're saying.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
In all fairness, I wrote this up prior to half time. I only tuned back in half way through the third. I've only just realized he was subbed out at half time. Definitely did not write this on the back of his injury. I've explained my reasoning in later posts. I'm not saying hes trash so let's get that out there. It's all about the hype.

Sport in general, at every level is about hype.

It’s not until a good player in our game is around 25 years old with 6 or 7 years of experience that we can seriously lay genuine scrutiny on their worth as a pro player.

Naughton has been a major factor in the Dog’s rise to the top this season and deserves praise for his relentless attack on the ball as a forward.

The hype comes from media knob brains. You’ve been sucked in and lost perspective on how hard it is to make it as a tall forward in this league.

Wake up ffs

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

- 8th for average disposals, 6th if you exclude Daniher and Jackson who regularly ruck

The Stats say he does pretty much everything apart from goal kicking at a decent standard. No doubt there's some forward craft and leading pattern stuff for him to work on. He's not Tom Hawkins, Jack Riewoldt or Tex Walker like levels of craft. But to say he has one trick is flatly wrong.
Maybe that was a bit ott to suggest one trick. That probably wasn't a fair assessment.

I am aware that he is young, but I really do hate it when the media hype the * out of players and set everyone including the player up for disappointment. Look at all the times in the past players got hyped up and put under so much expectation.

It happened with Wingard.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast

That's an interesting way to interpret those stats.

If those stats are based on Key Forwards, they're not overly flattering - except for the Marks related stats.

Considering the Bulldogs lead the comp in I50s and Effective Disposals, it's no surprise to see him marking the ball a lot in F50 either.

Having said that, He is an exceptional mark. No doubt. Beyond that, he's not outstanding.

Interesting that in addition to those stats, the Bulldogs also lead the comp in Goals - but Naughton isn't in the top 15.

That's an interesting way to interpret those stats.

If those stats are based on Key Forwards, they're not overly flattering - except for the Marks related stats.

Considering the Bulldogs lead the comp in I50s and Effective Disposals, it's no surprise to see him marking the ball a lot in F50 either.

Having said that, He is an exceptional mark. No doubt. Beyond that, he's not outstanding.

Interesting that in addition to those stats, the Bulldogs also lead the comp in Goals - but Naughton isn't in the top 15.
He's equal 6th in the Coleman.

...and...?
Well I bolded the part of your quote I was referring to just to help you out a little, and I thought you might remember anyway considering you typed it out 4 hours earlier, and Testekill has already given you a hand, but just to reiterate it;

In response to your claim that Naughton isn't in the top 15 for goals, despite the Bulldogs leading the competition for goals, he does in fact sit equal 6th in the Coleman tally, kicking 29 goals for the year. After Ben King kicked 2 for the Suns yesterday, he's now equal 5th. Well done, Aaron. Climbing the ladder even after being injured and missing half a game.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Well I bolded the part of your quote I was referring to just to help you out a little, and I thought you might remember anyway considering you typed it out 4 hours earlier, and Testekill has already given you a hand, but just to reiterate it;

In response to your claim that Naughton isn't in the top 15 for goals, despite the Bulldogs leading the competition for goals, he does in fact sit equal 6th in the Coleman tally, kicking 29 goals for the year. After Ben King kicked 2 for the Suns yesterday, he's now equal 5th. Well done, Aaron. Climbing the ladder even after being injured and missing half a game.

I assumed it was obvious I was referring to Average Goals.

Given I'd referenced Averages twice in the same post, I thought that was fairly straight forward.

Not sure how you work out the rest of your post either?

The stats I'm looking at for Totals, has him dropped down the 7th after the weekend, with Ben King up to 4th.

Back