Draft Profile Aaron Naughton

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Was solid round 1, was great last week and did not much in between. Could be brilliant but the hype has outweighed the performance.

The kids still a teenager & doesnt turn 20 until late in the year. He’s going to be inconsistent. But when was the last time we saw a 19 year old KPF rip a game apart like Naughton did against top quality defenders?

5.3 & 14 marks (9 contested) from a kid probably hasn’t been seen since Carey (or Lloyd?). Happy to be corrected.

H McKay also had a brilliant game earlier in the year but not quite as good & he’s also two years older than Naughton.

The kids still a teenager & doesnt turn 20 until late in the year. He’s going to be inconsistent. But when was the last time we saw a 19 year old KPF rip a game apart like Naughton did against top quality defenders?

5.3 & 14 marks (9 contested) from a kid probably hasn’t been seen since Carey (or Lloyd?). Happy to be corrected.

H McKay also had a brilliant game earlier in the year but not quite as good & he’s also two years older than Naughton.
I think Hawkins, Riewoldt, Daniher and a few others had impressive games as youngsters as well, whether the stats measure up to Aaron's I'm not sure but he's not the first youngster to dominate a game. It bodes well for Aaron but the pressure and focus he's going to get now will be a whole different level, I think there is every chance he will handle it fine but I'm waiting to see.

And not tot take away the top quality defenders bit but Richmond are undermanned down there this year.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So, this guy has turned out alright. This is going to sound like a pisstake but I am actually being serious: My friend's mum owns a shop and Aaron Naughton's grandma came in and claimed his newest contract is worth $4 million. For the sake of this post let's assume she decided to round that up from something like $3.2 million per year. That would still be $800k per year. If they're paying him that much, surely someone commanding a big salary is leaving the Dogs this year.

Any thoughts on this? I was thinking Tom Boyd may retire.
We already had enormous cap space, so it's likely just coming out of that. Wouldn't surprise me if he's on that money, worth every cent

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
We already had enormous cap space, so it's likely just coming out of that. Wouldn't surprise me if he's on that money, worth every cent
I'd be shocked if he was on that money and it would hinder your club if he is. I know you set the precedent for throwing huge dollars at talented young talls, but you also showed why it is not a good idea. Also, if a young player is demanding a massive contract, the club should immediately think twice. It is not evidence that they are putting the club and team first. That money comes from his mates contract opportunities.

Slackware

Debutant
May 5, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know you set the precedent for throwing huge dollars at talented young talls, but you also showed why it is not a good idea.
Wrong.
Aaron Naughton is a good player, Tom Boyd is not a good player. It's not difficult to differentiate between the two.

Sounds like you're salty because your club just stockpiled all these "gun" talls, none of them have performed particularly well, and here we are picking some teenager out of WA, he's already a gun, and now safe and secure. Give me Aaron Naughton on big money over Jesse Hogan on bigger money every day of the week, without thinking twice.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd be shocked if he was on that money and it would hinder your club if he is. I know you set the precedent for throwing huge dollars at talented young talls, but you also showed why it is not a good idea. Also, if a young player is demanding a massive contract, the club should immediately think twice. It is not evidence that they are putting the club and team first. That money comes from his mates contract opportunities.
He's shown far more than Boyd ever did in his first year, so a big contract is a lot more justified. Naughton being on $800k (if it's true) is basically the equivalent of $670k under the old cap that Boyd was signed under. Suddenly seems far more justified right?

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He's shown far more than Boyd ever did in his first year, so a big contract is a lot more justified. Naughton being on $800k (if it's true) is basically the equivalent of $670k under the old cap that Boyd was signed under. Suddenly seems far more justified right?

670k for a 19yo isn't really justified at all. Honestly though I don't think he'd be anywhere near the apparent figure mentioned.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
670k for a 19yo isn't really justified at all. Honestly though I don't think he'd be anywhere near the apparent figure mentioned.
Considering he extended before last week, I imagine the figure is much lower too. But it's not out of the question to sign someone on big money if they show enough signs early. Wouldn't surprise me to see Carlton do it with Walsh for example. Regardless, contracts that size would be pretty rare, and would more likely be lower numbers with triggers for increases based on performance

although we have form throwing money at young KPFs, I highly doubt Naughton is on 1m a year or anywhere near it.

Tom Boyd was a desperation signing by Gordon to 'save face' after GWS poached our best player and captain, the situation was unprecedented. Thankfully it paid off, but such a contract would 100% be a one off. Giving Naughton $1m a year with all our other unsigned youngsters would be a recipe for disaster.

although we have form throwing money at young KPFs, I highly doubt Naughton is on 1m a year or anywhere near it.

Tom Boyd was a desperation signing by Gordon to 'save face' after GWS poached our best player and captain, the situation was unprecedented. Thankfully it paid off, but such a contract would 100% be a one off. Giving Naughton $1m a year with all our other unsigned youngsters would be a recipe for disaster.
In any case he's on his mandated AFLPA 2nd year contract as a top 10 pick. Teams can't extend and pay over this amount (e.g. we couldn't front load Tom Boyd in his first year for the same reason).

He's by far the youngest player to take 9 contested marks in a game, I'm just happy to keep him.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Has the potential and output to become the best player in the league in the not too distant future. It was a travesty that he didn't win the Rising Star last year.

That reported contract will seem like a bargain quite quickly.

Would trade Cameron for him in a heartbeat.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Has the potential and output to become the best player in the league in the not too distant future. It was a travesty that he didn't win the Rising Star last year.

That reported contract will seem like a bargain quite quickly.

Would trade Cameron for him in a heartbeat.
Took all the way until the final round to get his nomination, and didn't receive a single vote. It's disappointing that he wasn't noticed as much as some of the young forwards/mids

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
800k for a swing men is really nothing for Bulldog , especially with Boyd not playing much after their premiereship.

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think Hawkins, Riewoldt, Daniher and a few others had impressive games as youngsters as well, whether the stats measure up to Aaron's I'm not sure but he's not the first youngster to dominate a game. It bodes well for Aaron but the pressure and focus he's going to get now will be a whole different level, I think there is every chance he will handle it fine but I

And not tot take away the top quality defenders bit but Richmond are undermanned down there this year.
I don’t think the hype is based on one game. It’s been building for a while. How many 18 year olds come into league footy as a KPP and finish top 4 in the club best and fairest? And now he’s moved forward and has been really good. Albeit doing it with zero help up there.

Back