Aaron Sandilands announces retirement at season's end

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
I have so much love for the big fella. Loved when he played angry, but we seldom saw it (unless you're Paul Puopolo)

I posted these on the freo board and I think most sets of fans will appreciate them:

This bump:

This tap:

This bump:

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
For a long time Sandilands' biggest problem was that he was so dominant that opposition teams had to plan around him getting the tap... which worked fine because Freo's midfield was usually s**t.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Beast. Might need to get a car to himself for the Grand Final retirement lap of honour.
6282EEFC-0BE3-4C6C-A177-4AE8DECA5AA4.jpeg

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Got the best from his body, gentle giant and highly respected in the AFL community.

He stayed on this year to tutor (mentor) Sean Darcy, and now I think he can see that his job is done. He will quietly wander off to his lawnmower.

Will get a good send off on the weekend, by both clubs supporters.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Surprised he played as long as he did. Did well though, and definitely more than just tall. Well done Sandi.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I remember when he first started - I called him the worst player in the league (if you want to dig back 15 years on here you’ll probably find it).

Became such a great player - so damn big. Whenever we played Freo, I would feel a sense of relief if Sandilands wasn’t out there.

Probably went on a couple of seasons too long but he’s one of Ross’s favourites...any chance for a cheeky Rookie List spot in case Darcy goes down? 😉

Pusswah

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
* he was good when he was up and going.
Never really sussed out that whole marking deal.
Always seemed to have the 'Sando' rule applied, where three campaigners could hang off of him and not give away a free kick for some ******* reason.

Game needs characters like this.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Just to add one more point, guys like NicNat and Mummy legit hurt people. They know how to use their bodies as a weapon.

But I don't think I've seen a modern player, or maybe any player just physically devastate people by incidental contact or when they would initiate contact against Sandi like he could.

An absolute presence at stoppages at his peak and watching him still on his knees reach through a pack and grab mids, then drag them to ground, was always entertaining. Seen him up close and personal during a warm up and I just imagine his opponents bottling it when the big fella came at em.

Back