Aaron Sandilands announces retirement at season's end

Sandilands is the man. I remember in Goldstein's prime, Sandilands was the only guy who could still stop him.

I've really enjoyed watching that giant man smack a football around in the air.

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Incredible duck in his prime often beat cox and was always influential in derbies during there run from 2005-2012ish

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Nowhere near the influence Cox had on his team.

Sandilands’ career is pretty underwhelming to me.

Good at palming ..but hands of rubber while marking.

Played 5 years too many..
Was B+F At his club 4 years ago
Underwhelming but 4 times judged either best or second best ruckman in the league. (

What exactly is underwhelming? He was, in his career span and once he hit his prime the second best ruckman in the league, and Wasnt the best because Dean Cox who was the best ruckman in the AFL since Polly Farmer.

Underwhelming because someone was better? Sandilands is a giant and is massively under-rated. Go re-assess your opinion.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I first saw him play in a pre-season practice game against my mob, when we were really good. He dominated, even though he was only a kid. I thought it should have been against the rules that a player could be that tall, and have that advantage over other ruckmen, whom he made look like short people.

For those who don't rate him, to play as many games as he did (no idea how many, but it was more than a few), with such distinction, made him an unlikely, yet elite, athlete.

Well played that man. He certainly made the most of his talent and rare physique.

Of course he dominated, he was taller than everyone else and was a s**t mark.

Imagine a 7ft tall Wayne Carey.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nowhere near the influence Cox had on his team.

Sandilands’ career is pretty underwhelming to me.

Played 5 years too many..

You've been on this website five years too many. What a crock of s**t.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
Really? Name a ruck who averages more contested marks over his career. Only NicNat is close as current player (and he cannot take uncontested marks). For uncontested marks he is obvioulsy beaten by those more mobile rucks who get a lot of possessions.

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
Got the best from his body, gentle giant and highly respected in the AFL community.

He stayed on this year to tutor (mentor) Sean Darcy, and now I think he can see that his job is done. He will quietly wander off to his lawnmower.

Will get a good send off on the weekend, by both clubs supporters.
Wonder who will carry him off at the end🙄 Not sure there would be anybody big and strong enough lol!

The game won't be the same without the big unit. When he first came on the scene thought he was just all size and no talent but over the years he proved many of us wrong.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Wonder who will carry him off at the end🙄 Not sure there would be anybody big and strong enough lol!

The game won't be the same without the big unit. When he first came on the scene thought he was just all size and no talent but over the years he proved many of us wrong.

Is Freo sponsored by a forklift company ?.

He’s not a player who likes a fuss being made of him.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Is Freo sponsored by a forklift company ?.

He’s not a player who likes a fuss being made of him.
Time to break it out of retirement and replace the anchor with big Sandi

Attachments

• images (86).jpeg
    images (86).jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 82

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Well done Sandi, still goes alright considering he is 36.

Some of his stats from early 2010 in particular are monstrous

Last edited:

Corkintheocean

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Of course he dominated, he was taller than everyone else and was a s**t mark.

Imagine a 7ft tall Wayne Carey.
Classless in a retirement thread of a 4x AA who has played nigh on 300 games.

I can't wait till you get bounced in straight sets (again) by Richmond and Collingwood at MCG 'home' finals. Going to genuinely piss myself with laughter.

caspian

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Me and the missus were laughing recently about how Matt Burton used to be the std for super tall ruckman. Luckily Sandilands came along! A huge unit, seems like a decent guy and it’s a shame his body can’t keep up, as I thought he showed glimpses of his best a few times this year.

Cheers sandi!

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
I have so much love for the big fella. Loved when he played angry, but we seldom saw it (unless you're Paul Puopolo)

I posted these on the freo board and I think most sets of fans will appreciate them:

This bump:

This tap:

This bump:

That first video..... I'm sure Freo fans don't need to be told but just what could have been if his knees were better...

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Under rated as an athlete...yeah he is great at the tappy tappy bit, but unreal ability to get around the ground for his size, and smart user of the footy.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Classless in a retirement thread of a 4x AA who has played nigh on 300 games.

I can't wait till you get bounced in straight sets (again) by Richmond and Collingwood at MCG 'home' finals. Going to genuinely piss myself with laughter.

I'm devastated.

His career could have been so much better with his physical attributes. Underwhelming as already posted by someone else.

Go and cry into your cornflakes with that one.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
There is Dean Cox

Then other guys with Multiple looks are Simon Madden, Paul Salmon, Max Gawn, John Nicholls and Graham Farmer, Ok list, Still didnt make it as much times as Sandi

Madden, Nicholls, Michael, Moss, Fitzpatrick, Farmer, early Salmon and the like played in the carnival era when AA may have only been every 4 years, the yearly AA didn't start until about '91, iirc.

You can throw the likes of Peter Moore and Len Thomson in there too. Dempsey, Stynes, there's been plenty of gun ruckmen over the years that I've been watching.

He absolutely flattened Phil Davis one time. Completely accidental contact but it was like a bug hitting a windshield. And Phil Davis isn't exactly a small man himself.

Back