Aaron Sandilands announces retirement at season's end

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm devastated.

His career could have been so much better with his physical attributes. Underwhelming as already posted by someone else.

Go and cry into your cornflakes with that one.

Just hilarious coming from a Cats supporter. Sandi tore your mob new holes pretty much every time he played them - including just the other day as a bloke two weeks out from retiring.

Are you denying he drystroked the genuinely underwhelming Blicavs in the 2013 gualifying final? Or what about in 2010 when he had 42 hitouts, 24 disposals, 10 contested marks and kicked a goal against your allegedly mighty all-conquering handbag of f~ckknuckles?

I reckon he could wheel himself out of the retirement home in in 40 years time and still bitchify whatever ruckman the Geebung football club throw at him. There's Geebung blokes who whimper in their sleep because of him.

I don't know how you get better as a ruckman after having the all-time AFL record for hitouts.

This whole "He's only good because he's tall" forgets Peter Street. It's like saying "Ablett is only good because he's skilful".

You're talking horsecock. And I think you know why. Sandilands has repeatedly owned Geelong.

Just hilarious coming from a Cats supporter. Sandi tore your mob new holes pretty much every time he played them - including just the other day as a bloke two weeks out from retiring.

Are you denying he drystroked the genuinely underwhelming Blicavs in the 2013 gualifying final? Or what about in 2010 when he had 42 hitouts, 24 disposals, 10 contested marks and kicked a goal against your allegedly mighty all-conquering handbag of f~ckknuckles?

I reckon he could wheel himself out of the retirement home in in 40 years time and still bitchify whatever ruckman the Geebung football club throw at him. There's Geebung blokes who whimper in their sleep because of him.

I don't know how you get better as a ruckman after having the all-time AFL record for hitouts.

This whole "He's only good because he's tall" forgets Peter Street. It's like saying "Ablett is only good because he's skilful".

You're talking horsecock. And I think you know why. Sandilands has repeatedly owned Geelong.

He played 270 games, at 7ft tall he should have had a good one every 30 or so, which it seems he did.

Reasonable Geelong supporters acknowledge his greatness and how devastating he's been against us in particular. And yes, there's been a number of players as tall as Sandilands, or close to it and few have been as effective for as long.

Being able to get around the ground like Sandilands did at his size is something that not many could do, otherwise there'd be more 6'10+ All Australian ruckmen.

If you watch a bit of NBL and even semi-pro basketball in this country, you'd know that Sandilands isn't the only 211cm person in the country. If it was that easy for anyone that height to come in to the AFL and dominate, there'd be more who've done it.

It's like jumping into Alex Rance's retirement thread and saying that he didn't kick enough goals. Sandilands was great for about a decade straight and unstoppable when healthy for a good chunk of that. He'll be in the Hall of Fame one day.

Not the day for Geebung to be down playing a ruckman, as their greatest ruck has just passed away.

Was B+F At his club 4 years ago
Underwhelming but 4 times judged either best or second best ruckman in the league. (

What exactly is underwhelming? He was, in his career span and once he hit his prime the second best ruckman in the league, and Wasnt the best because Dean Cox who was the best ruckman in the AFL since Polly Farmer.

Underwhelming because someone was better? Sandilands is a giant and is massively under-rated. Go re-assess your opinion.

Yeah nah I disagree.

Because of his superior height and colossal frame, it was easy for him to position the body and win taps in the ruck. So yes he was an outstanding tap ruckman who serviced his ruck rovers superbly over many years.

But really, let’s face it...he dropped a million marks he should’ve gobble up and there’s no stat recorded to refer to that fundamental flaw in his game.

I watched many many of his games live over the years and he plods around not doing much except get to ruck contests and take the odd uncontested mark and dish off an effective handpass here and there.

Had some good seasons though of course. But overall I can just sum his career up as ‘a good ordinary giant player’.

He’s no Simon Madden or Cox I’ll give you the tip.

And it wasnt like Sandi lined him up to hurt him either.

While he did use his size to his advantage
Yeah nah I disagree.

Because of his superior height and colossal frame, it was easy for him to position the body and win taps in the ruck. So yes he was an outstanding tap ruckman who serviced his ruck rovers superbly over many years.

But really, let’s face it...he dropped a million marks he should’ve gobble up and there’s no stat recorded to refer to that fundamental flaw in his game.

I watched many many of his games live over the years and he plods around not doing much except get to ruck contests and take the odd uncontested mark and dish off an effective handpass here and there.

Had some good seasons though of course. But overall I can just sum his career up as ‘a good ordinary giant player’.

So you didn't rate him because you believe his physical attributes mean he wasn't as good as other Ruckman?

Although you admit he was pretty much the best at what he does. The most important part of the position.

I'm sure you don't rate Lloyd because all he did was kick a heap of goals yeah? Didn't do much around the ground.

Good ordinary players don't win multiple F+B play 250+ games or win multiple AA jumpers mate. And I mean players have fluked them before in 1/2 freak years. Sandi won 4 in an Era where there was another dominant ruckman around so it wasnt like they picked the biggest guy in the league

Yeah nah I disagree.

I'll grant you the 2 less marks on average a game than Madden, but check out the hitouts.

And that's key.

He was the central lynchpin to the whole Freo 2012-2015 gameplan. Giving the big midfielders first use and being, with Fyfe, one of two super reliable outlet options down the line. In that timeframe, when he played, we won more often than not. When he was out, we lost more often than not.

In fact, during Sandi's time at Freo, in the 270 games he played, Freo won 149 and lost 121, a winning percentage of 55.2%.
In the 101 games Sandi missed over that same period, Freo won 38 and lost 63 (one tie) - a winning percentage 37.6%.

Talk about marks he should have taken when umpies start paying attention to arm chopping. The molestation he endured was worse than Plugger got and umpies just put the whistle away when Plugger was in a contest - just to even the f cking thing up.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll grant you the 2 less marks on average a game than Madden, but check out the hitouts.

And that's key.

He was the central lynchpin to the whole Freo 2012-2015 gameplan. Giving the big midfielders first use and being, with Fyfe, one of two super reliable outlet options down the line. In that timeframe, when he played, we won more often than not. When he was out, we lost more often than not.

Talk about marks he should have taken when umpies start paying attention to arm chopping. The molestation he endured was worse than Plugger got and umpies just put the whistle away when Plugger was in a contest - just to even the f cking thing up.

Nah..the arm chopping excuse is a mute point.

sorry but there were plenty of clunkers he dropped like a hot potato where his arms were well and truly clear of opponents.

Anyway..who cares. It’s just my opinion.

One of the best ruckmen of the modern era along with Dean Cox. Had a presence like no other

Thank you Sandi
Bloody legend he is and was. Changed the game. Feels like he has been forever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back