Aaron Sandilands vs Dean Cox

Aaron Sandilands or Dean Cox, who is better?

• Aaron Sandilands

• Dean Cox

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

About sums it up. In his prime Sandi was obviously more than handy, but he was still heavily reliant on his height. Cox was an excellent footballer and would've got a game even if not 2 metres tall.

Definitely Cox, especially around the ground, moved better, Sandilands had one thing , he was 9 feet tall. Plus he was forever injured!

Dean Cox, no competition.

Ruckmen often struggle with injury and looking back at the last 20 years, few are the dominant ruck for more than 1-2 years. To get 6 AA, whilst being the prototype for the next evolution of that position, first as the extra "mid" who could also double as an outlet on the wing (Martin and Grundy), then as the swingman who would intercept in defence or kick goals up forward (Gawn and McEvoy). Which is why he beats the very capable but height advantaged Sandilands. Cox won as many games off his own boot as he saved. Regularly turning out BoG performances in his prime.

The only player since who I think has the same scope and chance at longevity is Grundy.

Dean Cox, no competition.

Ruckmen often struggle with injury and looking back at the last 20 years, few are the dominant ruck for more than 1-2 years. To get 6 AA, whilst being the prototype for the next evolution of that position, first as the extra "mid" who could also double as an outlet on the wing (Martin and Grundy), then as the swingman who would intercept in defence or kick goals up forward (Gawn and McEvoy). Which is why he beats the very capable but height advantaged Sandilands. Cox won as many games off his own boot as he saved. Regularly turning out BoG performances in his prime.

The only player since who I think has the same scope and chance at longevity is Grundy.

Good post and totally correct about Grundy, his ruckwork and his work around the ground is really top quality, I think he is more value than Gawn and that's saying something.
The big mobile beard, is a ripper too.

Sandilands. Was better for longer. That final at Kardinia Park in 2013 where he tore the Cats to shreds was one of the GOAT performances i had ever seen from a ruckman.

Before injuries have curtailed his last few years, its easy to forget how good and dominant Sandi was.

Back