Abbey Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

enzso

Senior List
Mar 6, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd really like Holmes and Pearce to get some voice coaching over summer. Pearce is very hard to listen to, and Holmes has to project a lot on the ground and when she does she becomes just as unlistenable. Perhaps it's a trait of female voices but I find it grating.

I'd really like Holmes and Pearce to get some voice coaching over summer. Pearce is very hard to listen to, and Holmes has to project a lot on the ground and when she does she becomes just as unlistenable. Perhaps it's a trait of female voices but I find it grating.
Luke Darcy asked one of the stupidest questions last week and I can’t even remember it, just remember the interviewer and other panellists ..and even Darcy himself were stunned at the stupidity of it. Give me a squeaky voice over absolute s**t pouring out of the male ‘analysts’/commentators currently on 7

i noticed the woman commentating port v richmond (i assume it was holmes) actually had some interesting things to say about game/tactic-related stuff going on for example in richmond's forward line, bruce would literally be like "yep interesting" and they'd just continue waffling on hyper-exaggerating the excitement of every piece of play. even if they have someone providing some semblance of educational commentary, it's buried under the buffoonery.

Commando

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man Utd, AC Milan, Wolfsburg,
Really ?

She looks like the end result of Homer Simpson's make up gun

Add the fact that she can't string a sentence together and it's utterly pointless for her to be on Channel 7 at all.

you said it, she must only be there to look at

Commando

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man Utd, AC Milan, Wolfsburg,
Hodgey <3

There are better female sports journalists they could use over Abbey Holmes. Hopefully they axe her at the end of the season.

probably just someone they could arrange on late notice in Qld
Bit like how Hodge lives up there (although that’s been very fortunate for 7)

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
I waited all weekend to see whether anyone gave her a wrap for Friday night - sadly I haven't seen anything.

I always find this board funny. I think people think special comments is easy, and that people just turn up and talk. I think people think their level of s**t talk at the pub is at the same level of what they hear on tv.

The reality is that the good ones spend the week looking at stats and video, researching trends and players, and investigating differences in gameplan.

That Holmes went from the boundary to the box in the space of 3 minutes on Friday night and didn't miss a beat (and was probably an improvement on Carey) is not only a tremendous testament to what a great commentator she's become, but it's also an indictment on so many commentators whose job it is to sit in the box and don't do as much research as she'd done last week.

I waited all weekend to see whether anyone gave her a wrap for Friday night - sadly I haven't seen anything.

I always find this board funny. I think people think special comments is easy, and that people just turn up and talk. I think people think their level of sh*t talk at the pub is at the same level of what they hear on tv.

The reality is that the good ones spend the week looking at stats and video, researching trends and players, and investigating differences in gameplan.

That Holmes went from the boundary to the box in the space of 3 minutes on Friday night and didn't miss a beat (and was probably an improvement on Carey) is not only a tremendous testament to what a great commentator she's become, but it's also an indictment on so many commentators whose job it is to sit in the box and don't do as much research as she'd done last week.

*To steal an Abbey catchphrase*

On the contray..... She can barely string sentences together without sounding like a bogan. She is a total try hard, does more cliches than Hamish!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I always find this board funny. I think people think special comments is easy, and that people just turn up and talk. I think people think their level of sh*t talk at the pub is at the same level of what they hear on tv.

To be very clear with what I'm saying, in no way am I trying to insult Abbey - but if you think she (or the absolute vast majority) of people in that role do all their own research and aren't having large slabs provided to them - then I have a great bridge in Sydney to sell you.

Vincent Hanna

Premium Platinum
Mar 15, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
I actually didn’t mind her comments but I was surprised at how much I didn’t miss Hodge and Carey. I like both guys but I think two special commentators is overkill and with the close game I was completely invested in the action. It just made it clear to me that on TV a lot of what they say is irrelevant. Radio of course it’s much more crucial to the broadcast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
I actually didn’t mind her comments but I was surprised at how much I didn’t miss Hodge and Carey. I like both guys but I think two special commentators is overkill and with the close game I was completely invested in the action. It just made it clear to me that on TV a lot of what they say is irrelevant. Radio of course it’s much more crucial to the broadcast.

Maybe it helped not having Bruce there fawning all over Carey

Sep 4, 2020
Tampa, FL, USA
AFL Club
GWS

I thought about this thread when she wound up in the box on Friday, if it makes any difference.

Given the circumstances, I think she did a good job. I think she's been OK on AFLW broadcasts this year as well, too.

Live commentary is hard, and it's so much harder to learn and develop your skills on as large a stage as she's had to. I hope she keeps improving and proves us all wrong.

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
It was certainly a tough gig jumping into the commentary box at short notice, but Holmes, like many others needs to get off the fence.

One example was Geelong getting a goal after some very questionable umpiring (should have been holding the ball / throw). BT made some comments and then prompted Holmes for her thoughts. She hesitated and then resorted to one of her many cliches of "A great captain's goal from Joel Selwood". So deflating.

It's not just her, but some of these commentators need to realise that doing the job they are paid to do actually involves getting off the fence and providing proper insight, calling things out when necessary.

Sep 4, 2020
Tampa, FL, USA
AFL Club
GWS
It was certainly a tough gig jumping into the commentary box at short notice, but Holmes, like many others needs to get off the fence.

One example was Geelong getting a goal after some very questionable umpiring (should have been holding the ball / throw). BT made some comments and then prompted Holmes for her thoughts. She hesitated and then resorted to one of her many cliches of "A great captain's goal from Joel Selwood". So deflating.

It's not just her, but some of these commentators need to realise that doing the job they are paid to do actually involves getting off the fence and providing proper insight, calling things out when necessary.
Yeah, that was a pretty bad moment, even if she was in a tough spot/has been improving in general. She was handed a talking point, and basically on a silver platter, yet decided to go with a useless cliche. It was a moment that required the thoughts of a footballer, and instead she pulled out the words of a hack broadcaster.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back