Abblet high contact again

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
And freedom of speech does indeed allow you to spout "hateful crap". Who decides what is "hateful"? You?

It is the difference between the Anglo-Saxon concept of freedom of speech as per John Stuart Mill (i.e. you can test opposing ideas, and mock, expose and refute them, but not use the law to asphyxiate debate, because in the silence that follows a dreadful conformism would set in - aka PC speech), and the American legal philosopher Joel Feinburg's "offense principle" - which espouses that the law [i.e. Big Brother government] should stop freedom of speech which causes/is likely to cause offense.

The latter is a hallmark of totalitarianism. And breeds glass-jawed snowflakes who have been indoctrinated and have never been taught how to debate issues objectively.
When people fail to acknowledge that not all ideas should be treated equally, you end up with black slavery, segregation and Nazism. To suggest that someone's right to equal treatment and to feel safe in society is equal to someone's right to discriminate and abuse is beyond stupid.

Then again, some countries believe that civil war era militia laws which allow civilians access to military grade weapons of war, are more important than human lives.

kiwicrow

Team Captain
Jun 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea
Leave it to an American to proclaim that freedom of speech means you're allowed to go around spouting hateful crap in the name of religion, and that to speak out against it is an oppression of freedom of speech and religion.

Except when it comes to Muslims. Utter the word hejab and it's time for pitchforks.

Racist

kiwicrow

Team Captain
Jun 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea
thats no more racist than me saying queenslanders are ******* backwards hicks. go get an education.

Nope, because you’re Australian too, that would be just general stereotyping.
You’re not very good at this are you?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the defenders trying to protect him again. Any other player does it they get hung out to dry (like McGovern last night).
System has become farcical.

Sniping is now green lighted and football acts suspendable.

Durdin cops a week because Rohan has the awareness of Justin Kositsche.

What a cluster **** of a system lol

Christian clearly can’t make up his mind, as one week the same action in play is a week and the next off the ball is ok.

Cue the Benny Hill music lol
I think the best course of action is for every opposition player to give him a few light elbows to the head.

It’s not a suspendable action, so clearly worth the free kick to throw him off his game.
They are now responsible for cheap shots coming back into the game.

The funny thing is last week he cops a fine and this week it’s marked off as ok lol

The whole game is run by circus clowns.
The AFL is quickly becoming a joke. Different rules for different players.
I wouldn’t mind seeing some Bulldogs execute some bumper barring into Abbletts head next week.

Might be worth a couple of cheap free kicks to get into his head. You can’t be suspended for it.
Personally I think the AFL is on shaky ground with allowing this kind of thing. I was never as worried as some appeared to be about the odd punch or elbow in the guts - with minimal impact - and didn't want to see players suspended for really minor issues. I don't think I feel quite the same way about head high actions that have no real football purpose and so much potential to go wrong. Ablett being let off due to the "impact" seems pretty generous to me given based on the footage it is Sam Wright ducking back at the last moment that is the only difference between low and potentially catastrophic impact. Just my 2c and Ablett is far from the first player to be involved in one of these - suspended or otherwise.
So I guessing all y'all will be writing to the AFL demanding that they appeal the Ben Brown decision right about now?

So I guessing all y'all will be writing to the AFL demanding that they appeal the Ben Brown decision right about now?

Couldn't care less but if you think running past the ball to hit a player in the head with an elbow (a la the actual topic of this thread) is the same as what happened on the weekend you have bigger blinkers on than I thought possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back