Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I couldn't find a thread on ABC AFL so I thought I would start one given the changes in recent years. Below are the play by play commentators, I think I have this about right.

Melbourne - Gerard Whately, Matt Clinch, Alistair Nicholson, Kellie Underwood, Andrew Mayes

Perth - Clint Wheeldon, Brett Sprigg, Dave Lindsay

Adelaide - Peter Walsh, Anthony Tucker, Michael Mayney

Brisbane - Quentin Hull, Michael Price

Sydney - Corbin Middlemas, Drury Forbes

Last edited:

It's a shame Adam White left the ABC. Seems he was freelance and not an actual member of staff.

Always my go to for radio commentary as it has none of the 'hahahaha mate that's a fair shake of the old sauce bottle!' blokey bullshit and is informative. Their inquisition shows are always good for a catch up if I missed some games.

Had the 'pleasure' of listening to Tegan Higganbotham on the Sunday Inquisition while driving back to Perth going on about footy shorts and other shallow bullshit while Kelli Underwood talked actual football with the others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The standard bearer others fail to get close to.

Bwahaha. That was possibly last the case somewhere in the 1980s, in the days of Dawson and Bigelow.

The line-up above is genuinely the worst I can remember at any network.

Having the (ear-bleed inducing) likes of Quentin Hull and Kelli Underwood alone should be enough for the whole operation to be closed down, and the last one who leaves to turn out the lights. Woeful.

Bwahaha. That was possibly last the case somewhere in the 1980s, in the days of Dawson and Bigelow.

The line-up above is genuinely the worst I can remember at any network.

Having the (ear-bleed inducing) likes of Quentin Hull and Kelli Underwood alone should be enough for the whole operation to be closed down, and the last one who leaves to turn out the lights. Woeful.

The thing is, there is something the ABC does better than any other broadcaster.

Whilst everyone else is being lovey-dovey to players and what not, the ABC quietly delivers an accurate call. That's professionalism.

The thing is, there is something the ABC does better than any other broadcaster.

Whilst everyone else is being lovey-dovey to players and what not, the ABC quietly delivers an accurate call. That's professionalism.

Dear God. That probably explains why your first post was written like it was. Do you work for the ABC (or the Greens, ALP or a union), by any chance?

The ABC is just as "lovey-dovey" (wtf?) as anyone else. In fact, it's cringeworthy in that respect most of the time - have you ever actually listened to Whateley, for example, when he starts talking about any of about 100 of his favourite players in the league? To imagine that it's significantly more accurate than anyone else is also quite a stretch, at best. Underwood, Walsh, Maney and Hull, for a start, make mistakes over and over again, and someone like McClure is about the least insightful special comments broadcaster across the board. As for "quiet" commentary ... again, someone like Whateley or Underwood is almost impossible to follow or hear easily once something vaguely-exciting happens, through all the high-pitched and completely unnecessary raising of their voices. Underwood is completely unbearable in those situations.

Last edited:
Dear God. That probably explains why your first post was written like it was. Do you work for the ABC (or the Greens, ALP or a union), by any chance?

The ABC is just as "lovey-dovey" (wtf?) as anyone else. In fact, it's cringeworthy in that respect most of the time - have you ever actually listened to Whateley, for example, when he starts talking about any of about 100 of his favourite players in the league? To imagine that it's significantly more accurate than anyone else is also quite a stretch, at best. Underwood, Walsh, Maney and Hull, for a start, make mistakes over and over again, and someone like McClure is about the least insightful special comments broadcaster across the board. As for "quiet" commentary ... again, someone like Whateley or Underwood is almost impossible to follow or hear easily once something vaguely-exciting happens, through all the high-pitched and completely unnecessary raising of their voices. Underwood is completely unbearable in those situations.

Lovey-dovey describes Triple M (or footy for the uneducated) and a 3AW to a lesser extent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back