ABC Olympic Coverage

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
If todays announcement that the ABC will not cover the olympics is politically motivated around funding this is one of the smartest moves they could make.

So what would be next?

Given we have seen the ABC board travelling at the front of the plane & the minister to whom they report sitting in cattle class, dont reckon this is a smart move. Could well be the excuse to put a broom thru the joint.

I'd have thought this was core business for the ABC in the bush.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Given we have seen the ABC board travelling at the front of the plane & the minister to whom they report sitting in cattle class, dont reckon this is a smart move. Could well be the excuse to put a broom thru the joint.

Evidence please.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Current government don't need an excuse - they are already doing it. Year on year.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the ABC start cutting other popular things like sport and how the public deals with that. What happens if cricket is next? Country people particularly will not be happy.

But if you don't have the money you do not have the money :think:

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Current government don't need an excuse - they are already doing it. Year on year.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the ABC start cutting other popular things like sport and how the public deals with that. What happens if cricket is next? Country people particularly will not be happy.

But if you don't have the money you do not have the money :think:

Dont buy that, sitting here with ABC24 on, duplication seems endemic, e.g how many weather presenters are there? Suggestion: one weather desk sourced whenever.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dont buy that, sitting here with ABC24 on, duplication seems endemic, e.g how many weather presenters are there? Suggestion: one weather desk sourced whenever.
They usually only have two weather presenters. It has to be updated during the day. That is just silly.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
They usually only have two weather presenters. It has to be updated during the day. That is just silly.

FTA & ABC 24, 2 on - its a simple example, silly .... to each his own,

On the travel earlier:
ABC flies high as minister slums it
A fortnight ago, ABC boss David Anderson was crying poor at Senate estimates about how tough Aunty was doing it under Communications Minister Paul Fletcher’s funding regime, saying “tough choices” would have to be made at the ABC in the next few years.
But it seems the ABC boss isn’t doing it so tough after all. Who was Anderson spied running into on the 2pm Qantas flight QF 537 from Brisbane to Sydney on Thursday but — you guessed it — Paul Fletcher. And Diary hears that while the Communications Minister was slumming it in economy class, Anderson (an enthusiastic user of Qantas’s coveted Chairman’s Lounge) was seated in the far roomier and more luxurious surrounds of the first row of business.

Note I'm an ABC consumer.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FTA & ABC 24, 2 on - its a simple example, silly .... to each his own,

On the travel earlier:
ABC flies high as minister slums it
A fortnight ago, ABC boss David Anderson was crying poor at Senate estimates about how tough Aunty was doing it under Communications Minister Paul Fletcher’s funding regime, saying “tough choices” would have to be made at the ABC in the next few years.
But it seems the ABC boss isn’t doing it so tough after all. Who was Anderson spied running into on the 2pm Qantas flight QF 537 from Brisbane to Sydney on Thursday but — you guessed it — Paul Fletcher. And Diary hears that while the Communications Minister was slumming it in economy class, Anderson (an enthusiastic user of Qantas’s coveted Chairman’s Lounge) was seated in the far roomier and more luxurious surrounds of the first row of business.

Note I'm an ABC consumer.
Each state usually has their own.

You said Journo.. He's a boss, most bosses fly business class no matter the company. Another Australian beatup.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Each state usually has their own.

You said Journo.. He's a boss, most bosses fly business class no matter the company. Another Australian beatup.

Journo, you've lost me.

When the bloke you report to is at the back of the plane & you are up front, expect your costs to be scrutinised, dose of salts stuff. Brisbane - Sydney is real bad look.

Beat up, its a non event, but like the weather people, just makes me dubious. The OLympics decision wont go down well in the wider community IMHO.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Journo, you've lost me.

When the bloke you report to is at the back of the plane & you are up front, expect your costs to be scrutinised, dose of salts stuff. Brisbane - Sydney is real bad look.

Beat up, its a non event, but like the weather people, just makes me dubious. The OLympics decision wont go down well in the wider community IMHO.
I'm sure one business class flight is not the reason for the Olympics. They barely did the last one because of budget constraints as the Feds love cutting money.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Liberal Government keep cutting funds, this stuff will keep happening. It's intentional.

Are you dinkum, less money year by year? It seems to be increasing its range of services.

A freeze is not a cut, its a freeze, & its easier to live with than a cut. Easier not easy.

16 posts in and we haven't had a " gEt rId oF qAndA/iNsiDerS fiRsT " yet !

source.gif

I watch Q and A most weeks, it's very hit and miss. Insiders is s**t since Cassidy left.

Yeah i won't be back until Speers starts.
QandA it depends on who's on. No chance tonight with dickhead falinski

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Are you dinkum, less money year by year? It seems to be increasing its range of services.

A freeze is not a cut, its a freeze, & its easier to live with than a cut. Easier not easy.

Do you even read this The Conversation piece? It agrees with me, not you.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
You must be devastated to lose something that you never listened to.
I always listened to ABC :( Unfortunately I won't be in the country anyway and I'll be behind for the Olympics, waiting for 2024 and I'll go to the Olympics in Gay Paris.

Back