ABC set to lose radio rights

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 21, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Figured this was worth its own thread:

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/06/14...-from-radio-rights-for-first-time-in-80-years

Cricket Australia is believed to be considering ending more than 80 years of tradition by excluding the ABC from the next round of radio rights.

Wide World of Sports has learned one or both of the commercial networks Crocmedia and Macquarie Media are favourites to secure the rights to broadcast international matches over the period of the next deal, believed to be five years.

Who'd have thought Hutchy would ruin so many things?

I know ABC coverage had gone downhill a bit lately, but no commercial free coverage of cricket on the radio is so depressing.

Figured this was worth its own thread:

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/06/14...-from-radio-rights-for-first-time-in-80-years

I know ABC coverage had gone downhill a bit lately, but no commercial free coverage of cricket on the radio is so depressing.
Do not really find it depressing. The ABC commentary team at the cricket is woeful, pretty much the same as its AFL coverage. Once Whateley left, there is no one worth listening to. Nanness, Rogers are hopeless and Maxwell is well by his use by date.

Do not really find it depressing. The ABC commentary team at the cricket is woeful, pretty much the same as its AFL coverage. Once Whateley left, there is no one worth listening to. Nanness, Rogers are hopeless and Maxwell is well by his use by date.

That can always be fixed.

But now we'll never get coverage without Carlton Draught Score Updates, Bunnings Warehouse Boundaries, McDonald's Maximums, Zooper Score Reviews, etc, etc, etc.

The more a sport relies on commercial entities to cover it, the more it's susceptible to control by those commericial entities. Look at what's happening in the AFL.

You can also blame the Liberal Government for cutting the ABC's funding.

But now we'll never get coverage without Carlton Draught Score Updates, Bunnings Warehouse Boundaries, McDonald's Maximums, Zooper Score Reviews, etc, etc, etc.

When I listen to AFL games (which is rare now pirates stream are a piece of piss) it's always ABC simply because of that.

Be interesting to see what effect this has. I imagine there's workplaces out there that are happy to have the ABC all on day but probably not inclined to listen to ads for 8 hours.

The more a sport relies on commercial entities to cover it, the more it's susceptible to control by those commericial entities. Look at what's happening in the AFL.

BL556_B%20Corporate%20Website%202014_Advertise%20With%20Us_Sliders2.jpg
DJHmq5vVYAABWi3.jpg

We've come a long way from Sandy Roberts saying "if you don't want to know the score.... look away now"

"righttttttttttttttttttttt on the tip of my tongueeeeeeeeeee"

I don't think the ABC's really been pulling out all the stops for cricket over the past few years. Whilst not as egregious as Channel 9's decline, they haven't been must listen to me for the last couple of years. I hope they don't lose the rights, but hopefully this is a bit of a kick in the pants to improve their coverage.

As an aside, we could really use a good alternative commentary out there, something like Test Match Sofa or the Alternative Commentary in New Zealand. We should pull together some Cricket Board regulars and do some coverage. Gough could give us some deep cuts from his Wisden collection, Torz could give us all the behind the scenes goss, The Speaker could update us on games from World Cricket League Division 3 and eth-dog could cover a session on his own as to why Dan Christian should never play for Victoria again. Guaranteed ratings juggernaut!! ;)

I don't think the ABC's really been pulling out all the stops for cricket over the past few years. Whilst not as egregious as Channel 9's decline, they haven't been must listen to me for the last couple of years. I hope they don't lose the rights, but hopefully this is a bit of a kick in the pants to improve their coverage.

As an aside, we could really use a good alternative commentary out there, something like Test Match Sofa or the Alternative Commentary in New Zealand. We should pull together some Cricket Board regulars and do some coverage. Gough could give us some deep cuts from his Wisden collection, Torz could give us all the behind the scenes goss, The Speaker could update us on games from World Cricket League Division 3 and eth-dog could cover a session on his own as to why Dan Christian should never play for Victoria again. Guaranteed ratings juggernaut!! ;)

Not like we've got much competition!

Pre Kerry Okeefe ABC would see me feeling pretty devastated right now at this news.

Post Skull ABC=disappointing but i'll live.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure I would cope if Aunty lost the cricket coverage. I've been following the game via the ABC on and off for over 45 years.

It would be the ultimate sellout of the game for me.

BL556_B%20Corporate%20Website%202014_Advertise%20With%20Us_Sliders2.jpg
DJHmq5vVYAABWi3.jpg

We've come a long way from Sandy Roberts saying "if you don't want to know the score.... look away now"

"righttttttttttttttttttttt on the tip of my tongueeeeeeeeeee"
Used to love that , would also roll out ‘heard it on the grapevine’ and ‘you keep me hanging on’

And this is why nobody actually respects you opinion.

The ABC coverage has been very average for the last few years. Ever since Glenn Mitchell left.

I don't want the ABC to lose the rights, but I want them to get much better than they have been recently.

Last year, I switched over to listen to Ian Chappell and Tim Lane rather than Gerard Whateley and Chris Rogers. I have been listening to the ABC since 1975 and have never wanted an alternative like I did last year. I turned it off at times.

I reckon Nannes and Rogers are pretty good to listen to, particularly Nannes.
Agree about Maxwell though, he should have retired years ago.

ABC sport in general has gone downhill. The Offsiders, for example with contributors like Richard Hinds, Tracey Holmes, Waleed Aly and Francis Leach. What do they add to any conversation regarding sport ?

Last week, Melissa Barbieri, the former Matildas captain was on. She was excellent. Brought a depth of knowledge that a world class competitor can. She discussed the soccer, then when the discussion changed to tennis, she started with an observation about how solitary and lonely tennis is as a sport. Alister Nicholson interrupted her to say "that's coming from a former A grade player", which means she knows a bit about tennis too, but she never got another word in because Nicholson and Hinds took over.

The formula for great sports coverage has always been to have a professional broadcaster that understands how to keep the flow going, mixed with expert commentary from people that know the sport because they have generally played it at a high level. The ABC in recent times has had lots of personalities that like sport a lot. That does not make them an expert.

A few weeks back, they had a Commonwealth Games show. The panel was Paul Kennedy, Mel McLaughlin, Alister Nicholson and Lisa Alexander, the Australian netball coach. 1 expert to 3 broadcasters. They are actually all decent broadcasters, but the mix is wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back