ABC's apparent refusal to call stadiums/grounds by their sponsorship names

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
Anyone else, particularly interstate, notice this?

Here in SA they never once called Football Park by it's commercial/sponsorship name (AAMI Stadium) and I'm pretty sure they don't call the suburban SANFL grounds by their sponsorship names (where applicable) either.

On Facebook they just posted about the ANZAC Aus vs NZ test and called Suncorp Stadium "Lang Park" even though commercially it's known as the former. When reporting on AFL or NRL games at ANZ Stadium they still call it "Homebush" and still call Etihad Stadium "Docklands Stadium" and they even go as far as calling AAMI Park the "Melbourne Rectangular Stadium"

Why do they do this? I know it's lame but it's one thing that persistently bugs me.

It is part of their charter to not use commercial names. It is not just in sport, but across a whole range of activities.

It is also very helpful for people who cannot keep up with the ever changing names of stadia because we know them by location.

Yep they call Simonds stadium Kardinia Park, Etihad the docklands... I like it

They aren't allowed to. They're more stringent that the BBC with this sort of thing, and I don't have a problem with it.

So its a part of their own personal policy or because they don't like to or is it because they are Government owned?

Yes I understand that its easier to call places like Suncorp "Lang Park" (which I guess what it's traditionally called up in QLD). However its just something that does bug me, especially when NewsCorp journos make snide references to it as if it's a bad thing and it has sparked my curiosity

So its a part of their own personal policy or because they don't like to or is it because they are Government owned?

Yes I understand that its easier to call places like Suncorp "Lang Park" (which I guess what it's traditionally called up in QLD). However its just something that does bug me, especially when NewsCorp journos make snide references to it as if it's a bad thing and it has sparked my curiosity
They are not allowed to advertise anything..
Mentioning the commercial names is a form of advertising

Anyone else, particularly interstate, notice this?

Here in SA they never once called Football Park by it's commercial/sponsorship name (AAMI Stadium) and I'm pretty sure they don't call the suburban SANFL grounds by their sponsorship names (where applicable) either.

On Facebook they just posted about the ANZAC Aus vs NZ test and called Suncorp Stadium "Lang Park" even though commercially it's known as the former. When reporting on AFL or NRL games at ANZ Stadium they still call it "Homebush" and still call Etihad Stadium "Docklands Stadium" and they even go as far as calling AAMI Park the "Melbourne Rectangular Stadium"

Why do they do this? I know it's lame but it's one thing that persistently bugs me.
They're not allowed to, that's why.

Plus they don't exactly want to give nutters like Andrew Bolt an extra reason to kick up a fuss...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would make it hard for people like Gerard Whateley who work both ABC and Foxtel. Trying to remember when you can and can not call a stadium by it's name.

Would make it hard for people like Gerard Whateley who work both ABC and Foxtel. Trying to remember when you can and can not call a stadium by it's name.
The money he's on I'm sure he finds a way.

First noticed this when Carlton changed Princes Park to Optus Oval. I was a young fella at the time and I remember wondering whether they had heard the news.

After he left Triple J for commercial radio I heard Wil Anderson talking about how he used to get paranoid that he'd forget to say things like "caffeinated cola beverage" in place of Coke and get in trouble for it. I suppose it would mess with your head a bit after a while.

That week Gary Hocking was whiskers was difficult though

Its much better than the makita scoreboard and coke stat checks and that sorta s**t too

First noticed this when Carlton changed Princes Park to Optus Oval. I was a young fella at the time and I remember wondering whether they had heard the news.

After he left Triple J for commercial radio I heard Wil Anderson talking about how he used to get paranoid that he'd forget to say things like "caffeinated cola beverage" in place of Coke and get in trouble for it. I suppose it would mess with your head a bit after a while.

They don't even allow leeway for Coke or drinks?

As if you haven't noticed this by now. I thought everyone at least half-knew. They're not allowed to because they're a public broadcaster; it's under their own laws that they don't advertise. There's no commercial breaks at all on ABC radio or TV. Any break they go to is just ABC promos.

Apparently they don't even say "iPhone", and usually refer to them as "smartphones", although I think this one more lightly governed when compared to other products.

I had guesses over the years however I always thought it was sheer stubbornness on the ABCs part. Especially when NewsCorp journos in their relevant papers make subtle yet snide references about it. It just something that bugged me over the years.

Mind you I still call Subiaco Oval "Subiaco" and not whatever it's called this year. Same with Kardinia Park

I had guesses over the years however I always thought it was sheer stubbornness on the ABCs part. Especially when NewsCorp journos in their relevant papers make subtle yet snide references about it. It just something that bugged me over the years.

Mind you I still call Subiaco Oval "Subiaco" and not whatever it's called this year. Same with Kardinia Park
Just curiously, what subtle yet snide references have journos made about this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back