ABC's The Winners

Remove this Banner Ad

If you go back and watch some of the clips on YouTube it's astonishing how articulate, straightforward and commonsense blokes like Gareth Andrews, Geoff Leek and Skeeter Coghlan are in the business of describing and analysing football. Speaking in sentences, avoiding mindless pseudo-American jargon and providing a concise picture of the games in question.

Half the time these days on Fox or Ten or Seven you feel like it's some blokey pub convo, scoring points off each other. There's a professionalism about that old style where you feel like you're not being treated like a halfwit.

Half the time these days on Fox or Ten or Seven you feel like it's some blokey pub convo, scoring points off each other. There's a professionalism about that old style we're you feel like you're not being treated like a halfwit.

Accurately summarised. It's like Sky Channel compared with Sport 927. I hate it. Brian Taylor's style is a bit of a throwback to 80's commentary, which is possibly why he is one of the more popular callers.

Re Heywood, I suppose it comes down to personal taste, but even in the throes of nostalgia I recall him as having an uppity tone which conveyed the impression that he was a little bit above it all.

Was a great show but St Kilda never got much of a run back in the 1980s, probably understandable given their ladder position back in those days. The best you could hope for was seeing a hanger from Trevor Barker in mark of the round or a few highlights from Lockett and Winmar.

Remember the old senior commentator, Doug Heyward?

"and Moore flies high! Misses what he should've taken..."

Also Geoff Leek, the totally biased ex-Essendon ruckman

200px-Geoff_Leek.jpg

Great thread :thumbsu:

Hopefully next year when 'Fox footy channel" returns we get to see some weekly episodes as FOX purchased the rights to "The Winners" back in 2004.

Fingers crossed.

anyone else out there hoarding great memories in their cupboards, refusing to share them with the outside world ?

ive been transferring mine (with a mates help) to dvd over the last few months, and sent a few people a copy of pieces done - the quality improves immensely once digitised and viewed on a big screen tv :D

keep an eye on the footy videos threads for updates.

If you are talking religion THE show in Victoria was "World of Sport". It was compulsory viewing during the Sunday roast, and no doubt inspired The Footy Show (although TFS is not a shade on WOS)

Dear Captain,

I recently found this old post. I'm interested in episodes of The Winners from the ABC from the early- to mid-1980s. Do you have any episodes in your video collection and, if so, are you able to list the dates of episodes that you have from 1982 onwards? As I'm a Big Footy newbie, it's too soon for me to send you a private message.

Cheers - James

Sorry it took me a while to reply James88. A few months ago my mum called me and asked me to remove a bunch of VCR tapes I'd left at her place. I cherry picked a box of ones I wanted to keep and the rest went into a hard rubbish collection. I might have some eps of Footscray related stuff left-I'll have a look and let you know.

As someone pointed out in an earlier post, it was also on a Saturday night. The lead ins were, Kimba the White Lion, The Banana Splits, and a sports wrap where every sport in Victoria was covered. Baseball, Soccer, Rugby Union, and Suburban footy plus heaps of others.

I loved Doug Heywood.

Great commmentary style too.

I still remember Graeme Richmond in 1980 being interviewed and took on all the panel and won.

I loved the commentator Ian Cleland.

Used to heap tons of praise on Richmond.

How the media have changed.

I suppose when we get better they will all get on the wagon.

I used to love the BBC show Match Of The Day with Jimmy Hill also.

Aah the 70s.

The Thunderbirds,Magilla Gorilla,The Goodies,Kenny Everett.

Kids shows back then were great.

If you are talking religion THE show in Victoria was "World of Sport". It was compulsory viewing during the Sunday roast, and no doubt inspired The Footy Show (although TFS is not a shade on WOS)

The O'Toole brothers doing the woodchop.

Jack Dyer,Bob davis,Uncle Doug,Lou Richards,Ron Casey who always looked like he needed a toilet break because he wouldn't stand still while talking lol.

The wrestling.

Haha Mario Milano.

That s**t on the USA wwf s**t they have now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The O'Toole brothers doing the woodchop.

Jack Dyer,Bob davis,Uncle Doug,Lou Richards,Ron Casey who always looked like he needed a toilet break because he wouldn't stand still while talking lol.

The wrestling.

Haha Mario Milano.

That s**t on the USA wwf s**t they have now.

- tug-of-war; "Representing the Diggers Rest Hotel..."
- cycling match-race on rollers
- Rollo Roylance's racing segment (which I hated as a kid)
- "...and [insert name] will be taking home the Tosca luggage, the smallgoods from Bertocchi, you've got the Patra orange juice, the chocolates from Ballantyne..."
- and my favourite, Superkick

The Winners used to air in Sydney at about 9 o'clock on a Sunday morning.

For some reason I still remember the closing credits from the episode in 1987 when Plugger kicked his 100th against Footscray, and they showed Molly Meldrum amongst the hordes who'd run onto the ground, getting his hat taken off by some scallywag :D

Terrific stuff:thumbsu:

Hi - I just sent you a PM about The Winners. Look forward to seeing what episodes you have. Thanks.

Sorry it took me a while to reply James88. A few months ago my mum called me and asked me to remove a bunch of VCR tapes I'd left at her place. I cherry picked a box of ones I wanted to keep and the rest went into a hard rubbish collection. I might have some eps of Footscray related stuff left-I'll have a look and let you know.

Just doing a research on the passing of Ian 'Cleo' Cleland…. he was amongst the finest commentators amongst many from the ABC and even the comedy looking back was well worth another look… Cleo clearly forgot his glasses… three calls for goal(Stk vs Melb game) called WRONG!! :D:D ah, dem were the days.

And those who followed Cleo on Jack High.. he's a classic nugget early in the show… Cleo doing a jiggly dance…

I loved Doug Heywood.
Great commmentary style too.

His superlatives were top notch. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

His comment on Raines tackle… 'great??'.. :D:D:D on Harmesy (I don't think so Mr Heywood)… anyway… fav goal umpire at the end of that play.. goal to Jim Buckley. Notice every goal umpire had their signature style unlike the run of the mill stock standard robots these last couple decades. :rolleyes:

wait for Doug Heywood chip in after Jim Jess takes a great pack mark 'ah, the ghost!' classic!!

Cleo can't tell the difference between Eade & Mew.. :drunk: :D

Loving Doug Heywood's superlatives on Blight here...

In the early 2000's I was teaching an Indian girl named Manasa.
Her name always conjured up memories of my childhood, lying on the floor next to my siblings with pillows under our chins waiting for the number 1 song on Countdown, before THAT theme song for the show that was our tv viewing highlight.
I have never enjoyed a tv show as much as I loved the winners.
Thanks for the reminder

I love reminiscing about the old footy of the winners era 1977-87 the show was produced. Loved to see how Drew's Hair changed and evolved every year!
If anyone out there has any old episodes on vhs/dvd from this era I would love to hear from you

Guys

I am trying to track down old episodes of the winners 1982-1986, for my own collection. i have about 25 so far.

If anyone has any old episodes, either on tape, or dvd, i would love to hear from you, i am sure i can find a suitable swap to trade for it.

cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back