Team Captain
Jul 4, 2006
50 out on the run
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Foxy Boxing.
Hi guys,

I know that everyone has imbalances and noone is perfectly symetrical. But usually i thought this was with arms, or maybe legs (Rafa Nadal is great example, just look at this size of his left arm compared to the right)

Lately when doing ab planks/hovers i notice that the left side of my abs and obliques really feels the strain and wants to give out quicker, when my right side still feels like its got a minute or two in it.

I am confident my technique is not lopsided, but maybe i subconsciouly compensate when the left side gets sore.

Is it common for one side of your abs to be weaker than the other? Are there any exercises i can do to strengthen this?

I really want to push up to 4 minutes, but at the moment dont think i could.

Are these front planks you're talking about?

Side planks could be good option to strengthen the weaker side (with equal or greater time than the stronger side).

Can only guess that you need to strengthen the side that gives out quicker.

For me, I grab a weight and will slide the weight down near my ankle, then using the weaker oblique, use it to slide the weightless hand down past the knee so you lift the weight.

hard to explain but worked great for me, mine were horrible uneven in strength fior some reason.

Are these front planks you're talking about?

Side planks could be good option to strengthen the weaker side (with equal or greater time than the stronger side).

Um just the standard both feet and both elbows on the ground, back straight. If thats a front plank then yes

Mccuzzy - i think i get what you are saying but to clarify:

You are standing up?

My left abdominals / oblique is the weak side so - put a weight in my right hand? slide that down past my right knee, then straighten back up by "pulling" my free left hand down past the left knee?

how much would you recommend for starters?

Mccuzzy - i think i get what you are saying but to clarify:

You are standing up?

My left abdominals / oblique is the weak side so - put a weight in my right hand? slide that down past my right knee, then straighten back up by "pulling" my free left hand down past the left knee?

how much would you recommend for starters?

Yeah sorry, standing. But yeah thats basically it. The weight and how far you slide downvaries on how comfortable you feel, I usually do about 12-15 reps.
Some people just do tiny little ones with a massive weight, that would increase strength more.

Don't rely on my pst completely, it may be slightly incorrect, maybe search the internet?

Someone on here might even correct me.

when u can do a plank for over 2 mins it just gets boring. Make it harder for yourself...
- Have your arms further away from body
- Alternate lifting one leg at a time
- And to answer your question; Do one armed ones, especially left sided to really hit your obliques and abs there.

Do side planks (left side) to mainly hit left obliques.

that exercise description sounds like side bend but it won't much i wouldn't think...

a 4min plank? not sure what for...as long as you can hold it for 2mins then simply make it harder w/ various added components as listed above and them for time (30 - 60secs)

most will have a a side to side descrepency and can be a weakness in shouldr stability, core weakness, glute weakness and lower leg weakness...they can all contribute to a failed test on the side hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Back