Remove this Banner Ad

zedx

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
What trial?

'his guilty plea has been entered at what is considered to be an early stage of the court proceedings, avoiding the need for a trial, and sparing Cleo and her family from having to testify in court.'
yes yes wrong word - sentencing would have been more appropriate 🤦‍♀️ 🤦‍♀️

X_box_X

The Opportunist
Mar 15, 2001
DogLands
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea
Kurve summarised it well.

Ellie also mentioned that Cleo wasn't able to sleep unless all the doors were open and the lights were on. I can't recall if she said this is still ongoing, or if she said this had been the case "for a week after the abduction".

Poor little girl. As a parent that would break your heart, knowing your child had been locked in a room in total darkness for 18 days.

Cleo also recalls having her hair washed at some stage. I guess she revealed that to her Mum after she was asked about her hair being dyed and cut.

Flash of power

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't really have an issue with them getting paid, they would have been hounded by media, probably easier to do one interview and be done with it. If they use that money to go travelling Australia to take time out with their family then that is not a bad use of the funds. I just hope their caravan has a good security system.

Lady O

Team Captain
Dec 8, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't really have an issue with them getting paid, they would have been hounded by media, probably easier to do one interview and be done with it. If they use that money to go travelling Australia to take time out with their family then that is not a bad use of the funds. I just hope their caravan has a good security system.
Agree. If there was such a thing as compensation as victims of crime, I believe they deserve it. This way it doesn't cost the tax payer any money and if they got $2M for doing a couple of interviews, then it's a win-win IMO. I hope they can set themselves up and afford to give Cleo any assistance/counselling she may need.

Flash of power

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Agree. If there was such a thing as compensation as victims of crime, I believe they deserve it. This way it doesn't cost the tax payer any money and if they got $2M for doing a couple of interviews, then it's a win-win IMO. I hope they can set themselves up and afford to give Cleo any assistance/counselling she may need.
both Cleo and the parents would be eligible for victims of crime compensation in addition to any media windfall, in SA anyway, not sure what the system is in WA. No amount of money undoes what happened, but I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be compensated.

JackNah_8

Hall of Famer
Jan 15, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
I didn't watch the interview though read the latest articles. Hopefully the media leave the family alone, Cleo will need a lot of support and counselling it was a dramatic and traumatising experience for her

Lions777

Debutant
Oct 20, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
bit of a ratings bust is now being reported I’ll admit I didn’t watch it either I came here to catch the skinny of it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
bit of a ratings bust is now being reported I’ll admit I didn’t watch it either I came here to catch the skinny of it

It's funny how we care so much about 1 little girl being abducted but don't give a s**t when 100,000 kids die (preventable deaths) in another continent.

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's funny how we care so much about 1 little girl being abducted but don't give a sh*t when 100,000 kids die (preventable deaths) in another continent.

It's not that people 'don't give a s**t', there are reasons why it may not get as much of our individual attention but that's probably a discussion for social sciences.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's not that people 'don't give a sh*t', there are reasons why it may not get as much of our individual attention but that's probably a discussion for social sciences.

I say say literally not even lifting a single finger to help qualifies as "not giving a s**t", it's just uncomfortable for us to accept the truth.

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
A West Australian police officer who led the discovery of missing four-year-old Cleo Smith, spearheaded a serial killer’s undoing 23 years on and honed a sniper murder investigation has become a national hero in Australia Day honours.

Detective Superintendent Rod Wilde steered the 140-officer Taskforce Rodia which swooped on the home of Cleo’s abductor in the early hours of November 3 last year.

The hierarchy love taking all the glory. He barely had anything to do with these.

Dogs_R_Us

Space Traveller
May 3, 2001
Sirius - the Dogstar
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's funny how we care so much about 1 little girl being abducted but don't give a sh*t when 100,000 kids die (preventable deaths) in another continent.
That’s human nature. It’s called psychic numbing. The larger the number, and the further away, the more we are psychologically distanced. That’s why when there’s a plane crash overseas, the first question is, were there any Australians on board? Plus, we care more about the one person on the plane that we knew, than the rest of the Australians on that plane.

The plight of one little child, in a recognisable environment, is therefore easy for us to focus all our attention and compassion on.

deanc

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Hear ya Kappa, but allow me to amend your statement slightly to more accurately represent your concern.

"It's funny how 'the media' care so much about 1 little girl being abducted but don't give a sh*t when 100,000 kids die (preventable deaths) in another continent."

For it's 'the media' that predominately determine what is in the public's interest, consequently what we should care about...

Last edited:

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hear ya Kappa, but allow me to amend your statement slightly to more accurately represent your concern.

"It's funny how 'the media' care so much about 1 little girl being abducted but don't give a sh*t when 100,000 kids die (preventable deaths) in another continent."

For it's 'the media' that predominately determine what is in the public's interest, consequently what we should care about...

If that's true then we really are just mindless sheep.

deanc

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
If that's true then we really are just mindless sheep.
Perhaps, helped along by the standard of journalism/MSM articles and presentations that is approaching parody levels!

In today's so-called 'headlines' Neighbours is being axed in the UK..! I mean, how the hell is this in anyway 'news'? Last week we had "Girl pulls faces standing with PM", again FFS, how is this even newsworthy..?

Sadly, what used to be the occasional nonsense daily headline about something trivial, i.e. "Lost dog found in kennel", has now evolved into nearly the majority of headlines - moreover, some of these 'headlines' are also simply derived from some Neville Nobody or Nancy Neverwas on Twitter..?

Last edited:

Wombot

Senior List
Mar 3, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
In some of the photos Kelly looks like a young Michael Jackson.
Which just goes to show that you shouldn’t trust Facebook photos. When you consider that he seems to have at least basic computer competency, a compulsive desire to alter his identity and the fact that the footage we have seen makes him look very different to these pics, then you can be sure that he used all kinds of filters and trickery to alter his appearance for his photos. He probably always appeared as he does in the media footage subsequent to his arrest.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad