Remove this Banner Ad

Seven West media is not going to let Nine Entertainment steal all the limelight tonight.

'Sun, 6 February 2022 6:34PM'
Cleo Smith’s kidnapper left behind a footprint in the tent he stole the little girl from — as well as DNA'

Seven West media is not going to let Nine Entertainment steal all the limelight tonight.

'Sun, 6 February 2022 6:34PM'
Cleo Smith’s kidnapper left behind a footprint in the tent he stole the little girl from — as well as DNA'

hah! DNA. We knew there was a footprint but they kept the DNA quiet.

We knew there was a footprint
But we didn't know the footprint was from inside the tent.

I first raised it here.

When we were discussing theories on why they would remove carpet from the house.

And quoted the Australian newspaper's 4 Nov, 2021 article

Miracle in dead of night after days of despair: ‘My name is Cleo’

'During the investigation, locals came to believe police had a footprint from the family’s campsite that they considered highly significant.

Police contacted people whose mobile phones had been detected in the area on October 15 and 16 and questioned them about their shoes.

One woman questioned twice told The Australian: “They said it was a random questionnaire but it was an interrogation because my phone was in the area and I didn’t mind because they have to be thorough. They wanted to know what size my shoes are and what kind of shoes I have.”'

hah! DNA. We knew there was a footprint but they kept the DNA quiet.

While both would of been vital clues in the investigation, neither were of any significance until TK was arrested. Which accordingly was then used as critical evidence leading to his guilty plea. And still no clarity yet on what actually led to his arrest, besides the media speculating it was phone related..?

Would the DNA would have given Police a clear racial profile of the perpetrator?

No, from what I've read and understand - the genetic markers or variations in DNA do not provide definitive evidence of race.

Last edited:
While both would of been vital clues in the investigation, neither were of any significance until TK was arrested. Which accordingly was then used as critical evidence leading to his guilty plea. And still no clarity yet on what actually led to his arrest, besides the media speculating it was phone related..?

No, from what I've read - the genetic markers or variations in DNA do not provide definitive evidence of race.

He has priors so his DNA might already be in their database. WA also has the most extensive Aboriginal health/genomic DNA testing database in Australia, whether that could be accessed or not, I'm not sure.

There's also open source genetic databases the police can mine, like GEDmatch. Sooner or later, they'd have found him via a familial.

He has priors so his DNA might already be in their database. WA also has the most extensive Aboriginal health/genomic DNA testing database in Australia, whether that could be accessed or not, I'm not sure.

There's also open source genetic databases the police can mine, like GEDmatch. Sooner or later, they'd have found him via a familial.

Of course that is possible Kurve - but given his priors were mainly traffic offences, driving unlicensed etc. it's unlikely a DNA sample was taken, yes/no..?

Of course that is possible Kurve - but given his priors were mainly traffic offences, driving unlicensed etc. it's unlikely a DNA sample was taken, yes/no..?

I'm not sure exactly what his priors are but I did read somewhere he'd done time, assaults I think?

I came on here expecting a detailed breakdown of the 60 minutes episode. I'm not mad just disappointed BF.

It only just finished so there was quite a bit more than i thought there would be. Of course to be expected but Ellie's not trying to hide how mad she is.

Take aways that I can remember:

Kelly targeted the tent it's thought because he saw Cleo's little pink bike at the front. He opened the entry to where Ellie and Jake were sleeping as well, had a look in and didn't see what he was looking for so went to the next entry where he could access Cleo.
He actually stepped inside the tent to take her out, he didn't slide her out.
They didn't hear anything because of tent noise, the surf and tin sheds being knocked about by the wind.
He left a foot print outside and inside the tent.
There's also DNA but Ellie and Jake don't know where it was found.

Kelly tried to dye Cleo's hair pink but it 'didn't work', one the dolls he was holding up has pink hair. He also cut Cleo's hair.

He told Cleo the reason she was taken away was because her little sister was sick and her parents needed to focus on her.

:'(:'(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He cut and dyed her hair, such a violation, as a parent for some reason that really got to me and I never knew that bit and also
the zip on the tent door on the parents side was also open, goes to more of the random opportunistic nature of the abduction, I am just finding it hard to believe it was opportunistic given he was following Ellie on SM. One strange individual though.

Also interesting is that the cops were confident she was in the house and waited in hiding for Kelly to leave the house and drive off. When he did drive off, the police arrested him in his car and then busted their way into his house and found her.

Safer that way for Cleo I guess. Never know what else this creep wouldve done to her.

What trial?

'his guilty plea has been entered at what is considered to be an early stage of the court proceedings, avoiding the need for a trial, and sparing Cleo and her family from having to testify in court.'
yes yes wrong word - sentencing would have been more appropriate 🤦‍♀️ 🤦‍♀️

Kurve summarised it well.

Ellie also mentioned that Cleo wasn't able to sleep unless all the doors were open and the lights were on. I can't recall if she said this is still ongoing, or if she said this had been the case "for a week after the abduction".

Poor little girl. As a parent that would break your heart, knowing your child had been locked in a room in total darkness for 18 days.

Cleo also recalls having her hair washed at some stage. I guess she revealed that to her Mum after she was asked about her hair being dyed and cut.

I don't really have an issue with them getting paid, they would have been hounded by media, probably easier to do one interview and be done with it. If they use that money to go travelling Australia to take time out with their family then that is not a bad use of the funds. I just hope their caravan has a good security system.

I don't really have an issue with them getting paid, they would have been hounded by media, probably easier to do one interview and be done with it. If they use that money to go travelling Australia to take time out with their family then that is not a bad use of the funds. I just hope their caravan has a good security system.
Agree. If there was such a thing as compensation as victims of crime, I believe they deserve it. This way it doesn't cost the tax payer any money and if they got $2M for doing a couple of interviews, then it's a win-win IMO. I hope they can set themselves up and afford to give Cleo any assistance/counselling she may need.

Agree. If there was such a thing as compensation as victims of crime, I believe they deserve it. This way it doesn't cost the tax payer any money and if they got $2M for doing a couple of interviews, then it's a win-win IMO. I hope they can set themselves up and afford to give Cleo any assistance/counselling she may need.
both Cleo and the parents would be eligible for victims of crime compensation in addition to any media windfall, in SA anyway, not sure what the system is in WA. No amount of money undoes what happened, but I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be compensated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back