Remove this Banner Ad

bit of a ratings bust is now being reported I’ll admit I didn’t watch it either I came here to catch the skinny of it

It's funny how we care so much about 1 little girl being abducted but don't give a sh*t when 100,000 kids die (preventable deaths) in another continent.

It's not that people 'don't give a s**t', there are reasons why it may not get as much of our individual attention but that's probably a discussion for social sciences.

It's not that people 'don't give a sh*t', there are reasons why it may not get as much of our individual attention but that's probably a discussion for social sciences.

I say say literally not even lifting a single finger to help qualifies as "not giving a s**t", it's just uncomfortable for us to accept the truth.

A West Australian police officer who led the discovery of missing four-year-old Cleo Smith, spearheaded a serial killer’s undoing 23 years on and honed a sniper murder investigation has become a national hero in Australia Day honours.

Detective Superintendent Rod Wilde steered the 140-officer Taskforce Rodia which swooped on the home of Cleo’s abductor in the early hours of November 3 last year.

The hierarchy love taking all the glory. He barely had anything to do with these.

It's funny how we care so much about 1 little girl being abducted but don't give a sh*t when 100,000 kids die (preventable deaths) in another continent.
That’s human nature. It’s called psychic numbing. The larger the number, and the further away, the more we are psychologically distanced. That’s why when there’s a plane crash overseas, the first question is, were there any Australians on board? Plus, we care more about the one person on the plane that we knew, than the rest of the Australians on that plane.

The plight of one little child, in a recognisable environment, is therefore easy for us to focus all our attention and compassion on.

It was only the fourth most viewed show of Sunday evening. Channel 7 news was in front as was MAFS.

Hear ya Kappa, but allow me to amend your statement slightly to more accurately represent your concern.

"It's funny how 'the media' care so much about 1 little girl being abducted but don't give a sh*t when 100,000 kids die (preventable deaths) in another continent."

For it's 'the media' that predominately determine what is in the public's interest, consequently what we should care about...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hear ya Kappa, but allow me to amend your statement slightly to more accurately represent your concern.

"It's funny how 'the media' care so much about 1 little girl being abducted but don't give a sh*t when 100,000 kids die (preventable deaths) in another continent."

For it's 'the media' that predominately determine what is in the public's interest, consequently what we should care about...

If that's true then we really are just mindless sheep.

If that's true then we really are just mindless sheep.
Perhaps, helped along by the standard of journalism/MSM articles and presentations that is approaching parody levels!

In today's so-called 'headlines' Neighbours is being axed in the UK..! I mean, how the hell is this in anyway 'news'? Last week we had "Girl pulls faces standing with PM", again FFS, how is this even newsworthy..?

Sadly, what used to be the occasional nonsense daily headline about something trivial, i.e. "Lost dog found in kennel", has now evolved into nearly the majority of headlines - moreover, some of these 'headlines' are also simply derived from some Neville Nobody or Nancy Neverwas on Twitter..?

Last edited:
In some of the photos Kelly looks like a young Michael Jackson.
Which just goes to show that you shouldn’t trust Facebook photos. When you consider that he seems to have at least basic computer competency, a compulsive desire to alter his identity and the fact that the footage we have seen makes him look very different to these pics, then you can be sure that he used all kinds of filters and trickery to alter his appearance for his photos. He probably always appeared as he does in the media footage subsequent to his arrest.

Last edited:
Sounds as if she was remarkably lucky he didn’t seem to have any evil intent. Once he had her it was just like having a new doll to play with. Perhaps it was just a day-by-day thing and he wasn’t able/capable of making a coherent plan.
I get what you’re saying, but your language is a little clumsy. I’m sure you’d agree that stealing a child even if just to have a playmate is an extremely evil act. It also makes this guy very dangerous. And I wouldn’t question his ability to plan. He seems to have been undone by his mobile phone being in the vicinity of the abduction. Other than that he seems to have escaped detection quite well.

He commit an horrific crime and he seemed to know exactly what he was doing.

That’s human nature. It’s called psychic numbing. The larger the number, and the further away, the more we are psychologically distanced. That’s why when there’s a plane crash overseas, the first question is, were there any Australians on board? Plus, we care more about the one person on the plane that we knew, than the rest of the Australians on that plane.

The plight of one little child, in a recognisable environment, is therefore easy for us to focus all our attention and compassion on.
It’s not simply that. Children do die in Australia every day and they don’t get the attention that this case did, for good reasons.

This story involved mystery. People are drawn to such cases. The media attention also served a purpose so was worthwhile otherwise the offender could have waltzed around town with the child, or to another town, or state. There are very understandable reasons why this story was given media attention and captured the interest of Australians.

Contrasting this to foreign atrocities sounds like a misfired attempt to shoehorn a political statement where it simply doesn’t fit.

We’re all aware of the allegations of media bias regarding race in child abductions. It’s a very accessible concept, it’s satirised in shows like The Simpsons and Family Guy, so it’s no real revelation. But it doesn’t fit here. It’s just a hackneyed political fail, nothing more.

Last edited:
It’s not simply that. Children do die in Australia every day and they don’t get the attention that this case did, for good reasons.

This story involved mystery. People are drawn to such cases. The media attention also served a purpose so was worthwhile otherwise the offender could have waltzed around town with the child, or to another town, or state. There are very understandable reasons why this story was given media attention and captured the interest of Australians.

Contrasting this to foreign atrocities sounds like a misfired attempt to shoehorn a political statement where it simply doesn’t fit.

We’re all aware of the allegations of media bias regarding race in child abductions. It’s a very accessible concept, it’s satirised in shows like The Simpsons and Family Guy, so it’s no real revelation. But it doesn’t fit here. It’s just a hackneyed political fail, nothing more.
We’ll it wasn’t me who asked the question 😊

I say say literally not even lifting a single finger to help qualifies as "not giving a sh*t", it's just uncomfortable for us to accept the truth.
We stick our noses in more than enough these days.

It was only the fourth most viewed show of Sunday evening. Channel 7 news was in front as was MAFS.

The public was probably like me, knowing there would be little detail and all fluff and adverts.

We didnt learn much, lets face it. And that is probably a good thing with court proceedings still going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back