ABEFC hypocrisy once again rears its ugly head...

Remove this Banner Ad

Today on the front page of The Courier Mail, we have photographic evidence of star Gold Coast Suns player Harley Bennell cutting up what appears to be cocaine. I went on bigfooty today naturally expecting outrage from such a strong community oriented group of posters. Instead to my disgust, not only is this news not on the front page of the main forum, I have come to find posts like these (please pardon the embellishment, as Caroline Wilson would say never let a false attribution get in the way of a good article).

Reality Check: This is not a stressful job, rather the opposite. We have comprehensive scientific evidence to support the fact that exercise and physical contests are the best way to relieve stress. In addition players are given unlimited support. Each club has ample therapists and they have more talent than any quack the average Joe goes to see.

Reality Check: While Bennell may have underestimated the addictive power of the drug he was taking, he definitely knew he should not in any form be involved with illicit drugs. The fact that he has chosen to ignore this shows he is arrogant and does not care about his job at all. His earnings come from a group of people who have invested a lot of money into the AFL's new club and wanting to see it grow and become successful. If he had mental issues he could have fronted up to the club about it clandestinely. Instead he's chosen to piss all that up against the wall to follow the white rabbit.

Reality Check: This is probably the worst thing about it. Days after you've taken this drug, your senses continue to be elevated and you can engage in physical contests with more fervor than when the drug is completely flushed out of your system. Admittedly in the long term cocaine use is not an effective performance enhancing drug regardless of whether you get caught or not, but that doesn't change the fact that he had an unfair advantage over his opposition for some of the games he played.

Now let's compare this to Jobe Watson's admission of being administered drug AOD-9604 back in 2013.

- It was not prohibited at the time it was administered.
- Even though its status as a banned substance was contentious, he did not lie about taking it.
- He never made the conscious choice to go out and find the drug, it was administered by the club and he took it in good faith.
- It is not a drug he took for recreational faces so he could slap the greater football community in the face and say "I don't care what you think I'm going on a bender". He took this as part of his job.

And the reaction on bigfooty?

Intensified abuse of the EFC.

Foamer...hypocrite...
Boring...

It's a bad look. The coke line was very thin, sparse in fact, and not even straight!
That was my first thought as well.

I don't know, the younger generation just has no pride in their workmanship.

I wonder how long Herald Sun sat on that photo - not exactly a story of any public interest - but then found an opportunity once the "CH names other players" thing was news.

Reminded me a bit of that thing where Judd walks away from bogan guy on Lygon Street and for two weeks it's not news, but suddenly becomes news when Clarko has a run in with the Port Adelaide YouTube guy.

I've suddenly realised there are benefits in supporting a team that gets uniformly ignored (other than when not tanking, urinating on something or being Jack Watts)

Before Bennell took the stuff, he was assured it was the "good" cocaine, which he took to mean that it was not prohibited.

There are no records of what the powder actually was. The records are lost. Bennell should get a two week holiday for poor record keeping and bad record governance. But that's it. Clean slate after that.

This is all because the AFL is out to get Bennell.

Before Bennell took the stuff, he was assured it was the "good" cocaine, which he took to mean that it was not prohibited.

There are no records of what the powder actually was. The records are lost. Bennell should get a two week holiday for poor record keeping and bad record governance. But that's it. Clean slate after that.

This is all because the AFL is out to get Bennell.
When I saw it in the Herald Sun I just knew it had to be that bitch Caro

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we will get a fair and balanced debate on this topic unless it's heard in an open forum such as Alan Jones's talkback programme
Alan has followed the case closely. He will do the right thing The evidence is weak. Did the AFL personally warn Bennell not to take COCAINE. if so, did they do a follow up warning as well? No! So it's the AFL's fault. Do we even know the number of the hotel room? What about the labelling? He passed the rolled up note to a girl. She could have been the pizza delivery and it was a tip. We don't see him actually inhale any of the powder. Case is weak.

It's so complicated.

Alan has follYepowed the case closelyUhhuh. He will do theSo what you're saying is right thing The evidence is weak. DidYep the AFL*cough* yep uh huh personally warn Bennell not to take IsCOCAINElamic STATE. if so,so what you're saying is did they do a follow up warning as well? No! Exactly, gay peopleSo it's the AFL's fault. Do we even uhhuhknow theyep number of theyep hotel room? What about the labelling?Again, gay people He passed the rolled up note to a girl. So what you're saying isShe could have been the pizza delivery and it was a tip. We don't see him actually inhale any of the powder. Case is weak.A shocking, shockking insight in to gay people.

It's so complicated.

Last edited:
Ignored this thread so far, probably should continue to do so.

But for the love of ******* christ, will people stop trying to disingenuously compare illicit drug issues with performance enhancing drug issues? If you do this it just shows you up to be a confused fool. They are completely separate issues that necessarily need to be handled in completely different ways.

Unfortunately it seems this is largely done by EFC supporters to deflect or fuel their own victimised outrage. Like Bomber once said, stop it. Stop it! All of you!

Ignored this thread so far, probably should continue to do so.

But for the love of ******* christ, will people stop trying to disingenuously compare illicit drug issues with performance enhancing drug issues? If you do this it just shows you up to be a confused fool.

I think you're the one who might be confused. If you only read the replies ITT you could be forgiven for mistakenly believing that's what the OP was all about. Not at all. The fact is that a player has done something which society should consider morally offensive and yet he is given a pat on the back by the BF community. On the other hand Jobe Watson did everything right and has been abused for it ever since - all because he wears a black jumper with a red sash on game day.

I think you're the one who might be confused. If you only read the replies ITT you could be forgiven for mistakenly believing that's what the OP was all about. Not at all. The fact is that a player has done something which society should consider morally offensive and yet he is given a pat on the back by the BF community. On the other hand Jobe Watson did everything right and has been abused for it ever since - all because he wears a black jumper with a red sash on game day.
No it's a complete false equivocation. Two entirely different actions will result in two entirely different reactions. The only reason you are arguing they should be the same is this completely bullshit theory that both are "morally repugnant", which is just utter s**t, as a cover for your own victim complex agenda.

People quite rightly take a different view of a young man having a few lines to a potential team wide doping scenario. One is maybe a poor decision, the other if true is not only cheating, but it brings up massive integrity and health issues, writ large.

That's quite aside from the separate argument that moralising wowsers who think they have the right to judge what someone does to their own body in the off season in the privacy of their own hotel room should stick their moral righteousness up their own arse.

Bit this is more than that. This is you not only moralising like you have some kind of right, which in reality you don't, but also using this to fuel your own victim complex and having the audacity to berate others for some imagined hypocrisy, and you can't even see it.

I can, and do, criticise the posters of this board for a lot of things, but this is just unwarranted, unfair, churlish, embarrassing and, I'm sorry, downright stupid

The society I live in dabbles in illicit drugs. Whether its guys at a football club, workmates out on a bender, a hens/bucks night or some friends catching up on a saturday night for their compadres 30th.....a bit of 'party assistance' isn't uncommon at all, nor is it condemned by the growing number of people who have dabbled in their time, have moved on(settled down) and recognise that the generations after them are most likely going to do the exact same thing.

A systematic injection regime, which aimed to bend and circumvent the drug code, isn't something that society has undertaken, nor is it something that they are going to put down as 'just one of those things' that footballers do.

No it's a complete false equivocation. Two entirely different actions will result in two entirely different reactions. The only reason you are arguing they should be the same is this completely bullshit theory that both are "morally repugnant", which is just utter s**t, as a cover for your own victim complex agenda.

People quite rightly take a different view of a young man having a few lines to a potential team wide doping scenario. One is maybe a poor decision, the other if true is not only cheating, but it brings up massive integrity and health issues, writ large.

That's quite aside from the separate argument that moralising wowsers who think they have the right to judge what someone does to their own body in the off season in the privacy of their own hotel room should stick their moral righteousness up their own arse.

Bit this is more than that. This is you not only moralising like you have some kind of right, which in reality you don't, but also using this to fuel your own victim complex and having the audacity to berate others for some imagined hypocrisy, and you can't even see it.

I can, and do, criticise the posters of this board for a lot of things, but this is just unwarranted, unfair, churlish, embarrassing and, I'm sorry, downright stupid
Bravo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back