Abetz attacks the media for mocking the Christian Right

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Backbencher Eric Abetz is unhappy with the media.

Does he have a point?

Or should there be some law to bar religious campaigners like himself, Andrews and that campaigner Bernardi from holding public office?

Liberal senator Eric Abetz has unleashed an attack on the Canberra press gallery, arguing it is hostile to conservative, Christian politicians while giving favourable treatment to left-leaning or Muslim MPs. Senator Abetz said the media had treated him and his conservative colleagues, in particular former prime minister Tony Abbott, “unfairly”. He said the media felt comfortable vilifying politicians like Mr Abbott because of their Christian faith, but would never dare speak the same way about people of other religions....

Members of the Canberra gallery gave more positive coverage to politicians and policies they agreed with, Senator Abetz said, arguing that journalists hardly ever referred to the far Left or the extreme Left when discussing the Greens or the Labor Party, but frequently referred to him, Cory Bernardi and other conservative politicians as being from the far, extreme or religious Right. “I’ve been referred to as from the religious Right a number of times in the media and when I’ve thrown out the challenge, when are you going to report on the godless Left? The answer is never,” he said.

The ABC was one of the worst offenders, he said, providing coverage that was markedly different for the politicians it supported. “I’m terribly loyal to my new leader but you might comment on the flirtatious approach of Leigh Sales when she interviewed Turnbull. Just ask yourself the question, did Leigh Sales ever apologise for interrupting Tony Abbott?” he said. “If you’re a conservative, you’re fair game to be interrupted.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...tian-right-abetz/story-fn59niix-1227573564744

IMO parliament and the country would be a better place if we got rid of these religious tools. They shouldn't be allowed to have input in governing the country.

I think religious nutjobs should stay far away from parliament, but I think anyone should be allowed to run. Wouldn't want to go down the path of allowing the government to chose who can run for government.

You get the politicians you deserve. And apparently we deserve a nasty religious sook in Abetz.

I think religious nutjobs should stay far away from parliament, but I think anyone should be allowed to run. Wouldn't want to go down the path of allowing the government to chose who can run for government.

You get the politicians you deserve. And apparently we deserve a nasty religious sook in Abetz.

I'm not interested in anything Abetz has to say about, well, anything!.

Like anyone, he can run for parliament.

I just find it typical of this gutless germ where he can squeal like a stuck pig over the perceived media treatment of him, but he thinks its fine to attack & vilify whoever he feels like from his cowards castle.

He represents the nasty side of religion. They pray to god on sundays & pray on everyone else during the week. Bigoted sanctimonious pricks the lot of them.

Abetz is Christian Reformed Church, which is part of the Presbyterian family of Christianity. I don't know that much about it, but their beliefs and interpretation of the public utterances of Jesus of Nazereth may be different to other forms of Christianity.

The former PM is a Catholic, whose teachings and public pronouncements on issues such as poverty and immigration are well known.

The way to remove religious people from office is to vote for someone who is not religious.

Meanwhile in Wait Awhile...

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/29843258/branch-stacking-row-in-lib-seat/

Hostilities have flared in the Liberal Party’s Moore division, with the Padbury branch president — the son of maverick Hillarys MLA Rob Johnson — accusing an evangelical Christian church of muscling in on the party.

These charismatic, happy clapping Christian nut-jobs are insidious in their presence throughout national politics.

A bullet is too good for them.

Backbencher Eric Abetz is unhappy with the media.

Does he have a point?

Or should there be some law to bar religious campaigners like himself, Andrews and that campaigner Bernardi from holding public office?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...tian-right-abetz/story-fn59niix-1227573564744

IMO parliament and the country would be a better place if we got rid of these religious tools. They shouldn't be allowed to have input in governing the country.
The problem isn't so much their beliefs it's allowing those beliefs to totally inform all of their thinking and decision making. As it did with Andrews on the matter of euthanasia and Bernardi and Abetz with everything.

The problem isn't so much their beliefs it's allowing those beliefs to totally inform all of their thinking and decision making. As it did with Andrews on the matter of euthanasia and Bernardi and Abetz with everything.
Have you ever thought that these people with these beliefs were put there because that is what their constituents want from them? I wouldn't change a thing if I was Bernardi and Abetz. Their voters expect this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you ever thought that these people with these beliefs were put there because that is what their constituents want from them? I wouldn't change a thing if I was Bernardi and Abetz. Their voters expect this.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Your continued insistence on commenting about things in which you have zero idea is as hilarious as it is sad.

Seriously. Stick to caddying if that is the depth of your political analysis.

Have you ever considered that very few constituents would know who their elected member was let alone what their religious beliefs are.

“Journalists will need to explain why they do this, but it is very clear that if somebody swears their oath on the Koran, this is a wonderful expression of diversity and to be encouraged, whereas if you swear your oath on the Bible then you’re an old fart and not to be taken seriously. Well, excuse me, what’s the difference?” he said. “There is a special negative-sentiment override for those that profess the Christian faith.”

I hate all religion but it's hard to argue that.

Senator Abetz referenced a description of Mr Abbott as the “mad monk” that often appeared in the media. “Just imagine making fun of somebody else’s religion of a different nature, as in if you are a Muslim, Buddhist or a Hindu,” he said. “There is the double standard that you can basically vilify anyone from the Christian side of the tracks but don’t you dare touch anyone else.”

Ok lefties, explain to me how he is wrong here.

Members of the Canberra gallery gave more positive coverage to politicians and policies they agreed with, Senator Abetz said, arguing that journalists hardly ever referred to the far Left or the extreme Left when discussing the Greens or the Labor Party, but frequently referred to him, Cory Bernardi and other conservative politicians as being from the far, extreme or religious Right. “I’ve been referred to as from the religious Right a number of times in the media and when I’ve thrown out the challenge, when are you going to report on the godless Left? The answer is never,” he said.

The loopies are un-touchable.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...573564744?sv=968f6ce2d1185b0e9f6aac3d9726376e

Abetz didn't seem to have a problem with News Corp mocking the other side of politics. Repeatedly.

If you are going to be a bare faced hypocrite Erica, don't expect a lot of support mate.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Your continued insistence on commenting about things in which you have zero idea is as hilarious as it is sad.

Seriously. Stick to caddying if that is the depth of your political analysis.
Nice fail. You haven't disputed the fact that the Australian people or his electorate keep voting them in!

Nice fail. You haven't disputed the fact that the Australian people or his electorate keep voting them in!

The fact you believe that constituents vote these tossers in because of their religious beliefs, instead of blindly following their political bent is truly hilarious.:p:thumbsu:

You really have nfi about much at all. Religious organisations go to great lengths to obscure their candidates ideology for a very good reason.

Tell me, in all seriousness, do you try and hone your lines on BF before you carry the golf bags of people who don't actually have a cognitive impairment?

The fact you believe that constituents vote these tossers in because of their religious beliefs, instead of blindly following their political bent is truly hilarious.:p:thumbsu:

You really have nfi about much at all. Religious organisations go to great lengths to obscure their candidates ideology for a very good reason.

Tell me, in all seriousness, do you try and hone your lines on BF before you carry the golf bags of people who don't actually have a cognitive impairment?
Nice fail again. I didn't say they voted them in just for their religious beliefs. However, that is definitely one of the reasons why.
Now, shut up. I am trying to watch Paul Murray Live with Eric Abetz talking right now. :thumbsu:

Nice fail again. I didn't say they voted them in just for their religious beliefs. However, that is definitely one of the reasons why.
Now, shut up. I am trying to watch Paul Murray Live with Eric Abetz talking right now. :thumbsu:

That'll be compelling viewing.

Try hard not to nod off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back