Ablett coming home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catgirl

Club Legend
May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong's official line on Ablett has always been that you're happy to have him as long as the deal suits you.

Nothing wrong with that, any club would do the same.

But some posters are making out like the Suns are the bad guys for not letting him go easily and now this terrible thing has happened they are the pricks. and Geelong was just concerned about Gary.

The truth is both teams were looking after their own interest (nothing wrong with that of course, thats their job) and neither has gone out of their way to help Gary.
So the issue isn't our club, but our posters making insinuations on an anonymous football forum

Yea a reaaal outrage

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
The question is what is the worth of a bloke who, while he can still play, is 34 and slowing down?

If it were say Dale Morris, who while no Ablett is still an All Australian premiership player in good form at about 34, and he were leaving because of serious family issues I would expect us to facilitate the trade and would expect little in return.

People are getting caught up on the fact he's been a superstar. He isn't now and won't be around very long.

My goodness mate, don't talk commonsense like that in here, you will get eaten alive by the trolls.

Nobody pays first round draft picks for 34 year olds, it is just laughable really. Ablett out of his last four seasons has missed 50% of his matches. His body is clearly not up to it, he is not going to play a full season of footy in 2018 nor will he in anyway make a difference for a flag. He will be lucky to play 10-15 games at best.

Saying to pay top picks for a 34 year old with at best 15-30 matches of football in his career at absolute maximum is quite dillusional really.

If this was any other club the deal would have just been done for a third rounder, no fuss

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
GC should be ashamed in how they treated the sport of AFL.
So you agree that both clubs are handling this badly.

I hope he gets to the cats bc i like sentiment and know a lot of cats fans.

Doesnt mean im going to change my opinion on the man hinself. An all time great, but also a pious, aloof, dog of a bloke.

I also hope geelong use pick 19 to undercut port or ess. Piss off the AFL who have quite clearly used their discretion loophole to engineer a pick that they hope will head to gc.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My goodness mate, don't talk commonsense like that in here, you will get eaten alive by the trolls.

Nobody pays first round draft picks for 34 year olds, it is just laughable really. Ablett out of his last four seasons has missed 50% of his matches. His body is clearly not up to it, he is not going to play a full season of footy in 2018 nor will he in anyway make a difference for a flag. He will be lucky to play 10-15 games at best.

Saying to pay top picks for a 34 year old with at best 15-30 matches of football in his career at absolute maximum is quite dillusional really.

If this was any other club the deal would have just been done for a third rounder, no fuss
It's quite ridiculous. If Geelong don't make headway with Stringer or Watts I'd wager they'll trade pick 19 for Ablett and one of GC's plethora of slightly later picks. It shouldn't be any more.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
The question is what is the worth of a bloke who, while he can still play, is 34 and slowing down?

If it were say Dale Morris, who while no Ablett is still an All Australian premiership player in good form at about 34, and he were leaving because of serious family issues I would expect us to facilitate the trade and would expect little in return.

People are getting caught up on the fact he's been a superstar. He isn't now and won't be around very long.

Show me the receipts. He just won Gold Coasts B'N'F and averaged 33 disposals a game in 2017. If you compare that to 2016, he played the same number of games and averaged 27 disposals. How is that slowing down?

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
We won't be pricks in a trade? Obviously we won't.

But we should because GC haven't shipped off Gaz. Gaz wants us. Gaz would also want it to be as cheap as possible for better chance of success

Great logic
Agree.

I'm alluding to the problem with club fans during trade week (and probably some list managers to be fair). They always want to win a trade on the day. Trades should be equitable to both parties, and Geelong have had a history of being pretty good in this regard.

If Ablett costs you a best 22 player like GC want (or equivalent pick in the 20s), and you win a flag because he's the difference, that's all that matters.

Not use his family situation as leverage to get him for virtually nothing. Although I doubt Ablett really cares what it costs the club to get him to Geelong. If a player like Lang or a pick in the 20s goes back the other way I'm sure he wouldn't be fussed.

But I'm sure Geelong the club will do the right thing and leave the arrogant posturing to some of the righteous fans on Bigfooty.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
So you agree that both clubs are handling this badly.

I hope he gets to the cats bc i like sentiment and know a lot of cats fans.

Doesnt mean im going to change my opinion on the man hinself. An all time great, but also a pious, aloof, dog of a bloke.

I also hope geelong use pick 19 to undercut port or ess. Piss off the AFL who have quite clearly used their discretion loophole to engineer a pick that they hope will head to gc.

Know him personally do you?

How dare anyone not ‘just be one of the lads.’

The fact that you’re judging him this way says a lot more about you than it does about him.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Not use his family situation as leverage to get him for virtually nothing. Although I doubt Ablett really cares what it costs the club to get him to Geelong. If a player like Lang or a pick in the 20s goes back the other way I'm sure he wouldn't be fussed.
To be fair, what's being lost in all this Geelong bashing is that Gold Coast are stocked for picks in the 20s, and already have more than enough low picks for their open list spots, and have therefore demanded a best 22 player, not a pick. Lang played in our finals team, but the only word we've heard so far from Scott Clayton have been names like Mitch Duncan and Nakia Cockatoo, ie untouchables. That's completely unreasonable given the circumstances, we are trading for a 34 year old, so asking for those types of players just holds things up unnecessarily.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I reckon the injury thing is getting overdone. Out of this years missed games how many was he injured? He seemed to have an allergy to white shorts.

No surprise is he plays 20 games next year.
Highlighted by the fact that he was ‘willing’ to travel to Melbourne 3 times and Sydney once but wouldn’t go 90 minutes up the road to the Gabba.

If there’s one thing the last 3-4 seasons have proven, it’s that Gary Ablett never gets injured.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
If thats what you think you should pay up.

Superstars dont grow on trees and 30ps from Ablett is twice as good as 30 from Clangerfield.

Were you dropped on your head at birth?

I just, albeit sarcastically, highlighted his injury-proneness, and unless you actually need the dynamics of a birth certificate explained to you, I shouldn’t need to go into further discussion about his age.

I’ll ask again, why should we have to give up a top tier player for a star who is 50-50 to get on the park, when as recently as THIS SEASON, the West Coast got a Brownlow medalist for peanuts knowing that he is one of the most durable players in the comp?

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
Were you dropped on your head at birth?

I just, albeit sarcastically, highlighted his injury-proneness, and unless you actually need the dynamics of a birth certificate explained to you, I shouldn’t need to go into further discussion about his age.

I’ll ask again, why should we have to give up a top tier player for a star who is 50-50 to get on the park, when as recently as THIS SEASON, the West Coast got a Brownlow medalist for peanuts knowing that he is one of the most durable players in the comp?

Good too see you understand a piss take....or not. Who got dropped on their head?

The broken down croc like from Geelong posters has worn thin. If you genuinely thought that or your club did why are trying to get him?

Pity?

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
If Geelong can't get a deal done he should give Gold Coast the go ahead to do the best deal they can with a Victorian team imo.
The deal will get done, and it will disappoint a lot of opposition supporters on this website. The issue is finding a player who is getting regular game-time at their original club to agree to head over to the Gold Coast. Most players who are entrenched in their 22 aren't going to voluntarily move over there without substantial gain.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Gary is not contracted to Geelong, it's really an issue between the Gold Coast and Gary not up to a third party to resolve. And if trades of similar elite players close to retirement are any guide, what Gold Coast is asking for Gary is manipulative in the extreme. They should be ashamed of themselves for trying to profit from a player's circumstances that warrants compassion, especially after he has given and done for them during his time there.
But it’s ok for you to profit from it :rolleyes:

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Good too see you understand a piss take....or not. Who got dropped on their head?

The broken down croc like from Geelong posters has worn thin. If you genuinely thought that or your club did why are trying to get him?

Pity?

Because if the dozen or so games we can get out of him happen to coincide with the most important part of the season, he becomes valuable.

If you’re a cricket team and you want to have current-day Dale Steyn bowling for you, but the only way to get him is to part ways with a 22-year-old who might not be as good as Steyn but has already proven he can handle Test cricket, is not injury prone, AND has at least a decade of play ahead of him, are you going to part ways with the younger player? No. You will do what you can to get steyn because when he’s on the park he will win you test matches, but not at the cost of something more reliable.

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Know him personally do you?

How dare anyone not ‘just be one of the lads.’

The fact that you’re judging him this way says a lot more about you than it does about him.
Dont get your knickers in a twist because someone you dont know doesnt like someone you like.

You're now judging me without knowing a thing about me... glass houses and all that..

Dont this so personally.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Dont get your knickers in a twist because someone you dont know doesnt like someone you like.

You're now judging me without knowing a thing about me... glass houses and all that..

Dont this so personally.

I’m judging you based on a fact I know - that you’re prepared to judge someone on things you don’t know.

Pious? A dog? Exactly what determines these categorisations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back