Ablett/Danger/Selwood best midfield trio since Cousins/Judd/Kerr?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah Nah. He played 19 out of 23 home and away games this year. Looked broken during the finals with zero effectiveness. Like I said, father time has tapped him on the shoulder. He also was not AA this year and I would bet he wont make AA again in his career. Also before you throw the crows finals game, his stats were padded with cheap disposals.

I just cant see him lasting as long as you can, as the poor bloke has had to carry the entire midfield before danger arrived and there is zero chance he will play till he is 36 lol
He was our best player in the preliminary final. 10 tackles, 34 disposals, 19 contested.

That was a few games back after he hurt his leg against Sydney.

Has to be Black, Akermanis and Voss with Power and Lappin on the wings.

But if you add in a ruck for centre bounces then it is West Coast with Cox, Judd, Cousins and Kerr

But if you add in a ruck for centre bounces then it is West Coast with Cox, Judd, Cousins and Kerr

Yet Brisbane actually had a functioning forward line + functioning back line to go with their clearly better midfield.
Geelong trade out pick 19 for a 34 year old hack for sentimental reasons.... laughable.

Yet Brisbane actually had a functioning forward line + functioning back line to go with their clearly better midfield.
Geelong trade out pick 19 for a 34 year old hack for sentimental reasons.... laughable.

What does it say about every other team that 16 of them kicked less goals than we did. We were 6th in defence too. Not bad considering our best defender spent half a season forward.

We traded out a pick 19 that we didn’t even have two weeks ago. We basically got Ablett for Motlop, who turns up twice a year.

Another quality effort from you.

Except we didn't....
Please continue showing a very salty and sore bum though.

What does it say about every other team that 16 of them kicked less goals than we did. We were 6th in defence too. Not bad considering our best defender spent half a season forward.

We traded out a pick 19 that we didn’t even have two weeks ago. We basically got Ablett for Motlop, who turns up twice a year.

I think freo got fyfe for around pick 19 didnt they?

Make no mistake im going to enjoy watching gaj back with the cats but 19 was overs.

Course you prolly wouldnt have got 19 for pol pot if gaj wasnt on the cards so ill just stfu

Make no mistake im going to enjoy watching gaj back with the cats but 19 was overs.

Course you prolly wouldnt have got 19 for pol pot if gaj wasnt on the cards so ill just stfu

The pick looks like overs, the player we lost to get that pick makes the trade worthwhile. And we got a pick back that we didn’t have anyway (25?) didn’t we?

Seems so many keep ignoring this fact, it wasn't 19.
We got 24 back.
It was basically a second rounder (with a 4th back) for GAJ.

Can you read?

Firstly, the Brisbane midfield predated Judd, Cousins & Kerr
Secondly, you're arguing that Judd, Cousins & Kerr are the best trio since Cousins, Judd, Kerr?

The comment about the forward line being s**t? Wasn't meant to en a cheap shot. I really do think it looks like a s**t forward line if Hawkins is the only key option and the small forwards, who or where are they?

If danger going forward at times is the big plan I don't think that will be very successful long term. But maybe with ablett, if he's still up to it may allow danger to spend more time down forward, but again, his kicking at goal is 50/50, but if he can do his part goal wise then I guess it's not so bad.

Just doesn't look like a deep forward line to me compared to the top teams. Although the same could of been said about Richmond and they won the flag.

So who knows.

It's about having the players to get you there and having the players to perform on the day. We had the first part. Fail on the 2nd part.
The 2016 forward line was a concern. No doubt.

The upside for 2017 is not just the addition of one of Ablett/Danger to more forward time. Richmond showed that you only need one key forward (Riewoldt) and a busy mosquito fleet to complement that. I can't recall a time when McCarthy, Gregson and Cocky have played together yet all have shown potential to be class footballers. Add Parfitt (who oozes class) and you've got a handy (and fleet footed) support cast to Hawkins. This also allows us to carry Menzel who despite average defensive pressure still kicked 40 odd goals this year. If Wyllie Buzza continues to develop, the future looks quite promising.

That being said I would have liked to have got Watts in as I think he could have filled that void as a lead up link man (high half forward) but it wasn't to be.

The 2016 forward line was a concern. No doubt.

The upside for 2017 is not just the addition of one of Ablett/Danger to more forward time. Richmond showed that you only need one key forward (Riewoldt) and a busy mosquito fleet to complement that. I can't recall a time when McCarthy, Gregson and Cocky have played together yet all have shown potential to be class footballers. Add Parfitt (who oozes class) and you've got a handy (and fleet footed) support cast to Hawkins. This also allows us to carry Menzel who despite average defensive pressure still kicked 40 odd goals this year. If Wyllie Buzza continues to develop, the future looks quite promising.

That being said I would have liked to have got Watts in as I think he could have filled that void as a lead up link man (high half forward) but it wasn't to be.

Yeah, Hawkins having a better year and Menzel being able to back up another 40-50 goal season will be critical in your chances of improving or atleast not regressing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you read?

Firstly, the Brisbane midfield predated Judd, Cousins & Kerr
Secondly, you're arguing that Judd, Cousins & Kerr are the best trio since Cousins, Judd, Kerr?

If I can’t then writing larger isn’t going to help is it:eek:

EMOTIONAL

Fair point, but the OP did ask a specific question

Fair enough also but I actually didn’t read it.

I just read the last page and saw quite a few people talking about the Brisbane midfield of 2001 to 2003 and thought I’d offer my opinion also.

Did they ever play in the midfield together?

Hodge has spent more time on the HBF and Burgoyne is a bits and pieces type as well.
Pretty much all the time. Don't think about the last two years. Hodge was ballistic on ball as recently as 2015 GF, in fact he kicked 20 from 20 games that year. Burgoyne played in the middle plenty of times, again, he has kicked anywhere between 12-18 goals a season at Hawthorn which is impossible to kick as a half back.
Although the lewis/mitchell combo was the most frequently used, no one can deny how brilliant the Hodge /Mitchell combo was for many years, particularly in finals.

Another quality effort by the AFL more like it.

Yeah I mean it’s not like they helped the Suns get him at the peak of his career ayyyyyy

Lets just casually forget him accepting megabucks to walk out on Geelong and his part in the whole circus.
Keep fidgeting with that narrative, doing a cracking job!

Lets just casually forget him accepting megabucks to walk out on Geelong and his part in the whole circus.
Keep fidgeting with that narrative, doing a cracking job!

And? Wow, he went to another employer for a 200 per cent pay rise facilitated by the same people you’re whinging about for helping him get back.

I could just as easily say ‘let’s just casually forget him basically pleading to come back due to widely known family issues’ and his part in the whole narrative.

You want to play the tinfoil card that’s fine. But be prepared to cop it back when your comment is so easy to counter.

And? Wow, he went to another employer for a 200 per cent pay rise facilitated by the same people you’re whinging about for helping him get back.

I could just as easily say ‘let’s just casually forget him basically pleading to come back due to widely known family issues’ and his part in the whole narrative.

You want to play the tinfoil card that’s fine. But be prepared to cop it back when your comment is so easy to counter.

Anything is easy to counter when you don't use reason in formulating your response.
Point is the only people trumping Ablett's case are the one-eyed head in the sand Geelong fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back