Ablett - do you tag him or not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think we will know that mid way through the second next week we'll be thinking one of two things - well, not tagging Ablett is working out okay, or, * sake can we get a tag on Ablett?

We've fallen out of the idea of tagging players, and haven't really employed Greenwood in that role for some time, and Hine's been out of action for a bit.

Do we go a hard hard tag on Gary next week or just bag him head to head against our midfield?

273628-dean-laidley.jpg

Greenwood, engage him as much as possible. Let him do his work in the contested stuff but if he gets off the chain and free we could be in strife. He always dominates us

It's a lost cause. The only way to get anything out of it is to not tag him and have his opponent get a few touches going the other way. You're still not in front, but at least you're not sacrificing a player for no reason.

Tagging him doesn't work. He's too good, and he especially loves playing us.

I'd try NDS with him around the ground and when Gazza pushes forward, call me crazy, but I'd have LMac take him.

I'd try NDS with him around the ground and when Gazza pushes forward, call me crazy, but I'd have LMac take him.
Would do to him what Chapman did. It's a recipe for easy goals. Firrito to put some body on him up forward please.

Getting visions of Lmac 1 v 1 on the last line of defense against Chappy and Jab in round 1. Please not again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would do to him what Chapman did. It's a recipe for easy goals. Firrito to put some body on him up forward please.
Possibly. Two of Chappys goals that night were from long range. A turnover from Luke, and a bomb from 50. Luke didn't do to badly on him considering it was his first game and they isolated him in the square. Jobe kicked one on him out of the square too, from perfect delivery in. Luke has improved a lot since then, had one one ones with Buddy ect... And held his own. Luke can go with him on the ground.

Spud is too slow, Gaz would get free too easy.

The last two times we've run Greenwood on him he's had about 400 touches and kicked eight goals.

What about the other game?

Sent from my waffle machine using Tapatalk.

Who is our best shut down player? Scott Thompson.

Do it.
I like this thought of thinking. Thompson would certainly have the body size and strength to match Ablett. It would only be Thompson's endurance compared to Ablett that I would question.

The bottom line is someone needs to run with Ablett. You simply can't leave him unchecked around stoppages or when the ball is transition. He will keep Gold Coast in it if not win it for them. :stern look

Put Gibson on him - Ablett likes to set his own pace in defensive transition, and if he has to be accountable to a player who can spread with a good tank, we've got a chance

Think you nailed it. Dal said he did a job on Hill last night and tried to work off him. I like it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back