Ablett - do you tag him or not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Levi to tag him.
We need to stop his goal kicking, as he will always get the pill

no point putting a hard tag on ablett, need someone running with him but they need to hurt him coming the other way. I wouldn't mind gibbo running with him bc you know gibbo will run hard both ways making ablett accountable. Most important is to watch him when its a ball up or throw in at gold coast forward 50.

Matera - this year - 15 goals 8 behinds. So, maybe not dead-eye, but pretty respectable. Apologies - I meant Sam Day not Hall. Day played up forward for the Suns, was awful at kicking for goal, so moved to the backline and has recently been moved to the forward line again - with the same result.

You're thinking of Steven May.

You are right - I was looking at his 2011 figures!! Whoops. Maybe they don't have any decent forwards?!?

Even if we did, you wouldn't know. ;)

GWS tagged him with a guy with a body of a 15 year old?

And he only got 30?

Tagging is more about putting pressure on the disposal than stopping them getting a disposal, half of his disposals you could put a line through like half of boomer's against Crowley which are give an get, still important to generate some run but it is shutting down the ability to find a lot of clean ball out in space which is what does a ton of damage.

We need someone that will be within arms reach all through the game, he can have 40 disposals for all it matters, as long as 30 of those are do nothing disposals it wont hurt us.

If he is allowed to have 20 disposals out in the open with nobody within a bull's roar of him then he is going to do damage.

I'd be tempted to give Tippett another game as Day, Dixon, Lynch are all around the 200cm mark.

Not sure if Dixon will play, but Day and Lynch are high quality and will mark everything that comes their way when in form (see 2nd half v GWS). I too would be tempted to leave Tippett in and be flexible as to where Narni and Thommo play.

Greenwood out. In poor form (perhaps carrying an injury) and even at his best is no chance to successfully tag Ablett. How often do we need proof of this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if Dixon will play, but Day and Lynch are high quality and will mark everything that comes their way when in form (see 2nd half v GWS). I too would be tempted to leave Tippett in and be flexible as to where Narni and Thommo play.

Greenwood out. In poor form (perhaps carrying an injury) and even at his best is no chance to successfully tag Ablett. How often do we need proof of this?

I would leave Tippett in and bring in Thompson and Wells. Thommo plays his best footy when he isn't on the last line, I'd line him up on a medium forward and give him license to intercept and rebound.

The burning question is who misses, it is not easy to find people to miss after last week's game.

I disagree with the Greenwood comment, I know he doesn't look as good as when he first came in but when I watched the replay again I paid a lot of attention to what our players were doing rather than just being caught up in the game and time after time Greenwood hit contests which stopped Fyfe and Mundy getting the ball time and time again and there is no stat which represents physical presence. Without him Freo would have got a lot more of the ball and had access to a lot more uncontested ball.

Wells is just not going to give us that type of ball pressure.

I'd swap Wells for Nahas. That isn't a dig at Nahas, I liked the way he has gone about it, even if he hasn't been as clean, he is seizing up after 3 quarters which is bad if someone else goes down in the first quarter and he can't come off. I'd give him some full games in the VFL and let him focus on building up his fitness a bit.

Who comes out for Thompson? I don't know. None of our defenders deserve to be dropped but of our back six Mullett is in the worst form and not really offering a lot as a defender atm.

I would like to see our fittest mids rotate in run-with roles on Ablett, namely Basti, Levi, and Gibbo, giving him no space in general play, but then running off him to provide link options and make him chase when we rebound. Hard tags won't work. He will get plenty of the ball, but it is when he gets too much space that he really hurts sides. Cut off his space and try to hurt him the other way.

I don't understand the concept of anyone being "untaggable". Everyone is taggable. Just that some players, of which Ablett is one, will not be likely kept to under 10 possessions by anyone, but his influence will surely be much less if every one of his touches is under pressure.

He is not lighting fast, which means even if he continually wins his own ball, whoever plays on him should be able to keep up with him, and apply plenty of physicality.

If he gets no free balls and is kept goalless or to no more than 2 goals at worst, gets 25 high pressure possessions, it will be a win to us.

I don't understand the concept of anyone being "untaggable". Everyone is taggable. Just that some players, of which Ablett is one, will not be likely kept to under 10 possessions by anyone, but his influence will surely be much less if every one of his touches is under pressure.

He is not lighting fast, which means even if he continually wins his own ball, whoever plays on him should be able to keep up with him, and apply plenty of physicality.

If he gets no free balls and is kept goalless or to no more than 2 goals at worst, gets 25 high pressure possessions, it will be a win to us.

Ask Crowley if boomer was tag able Friday night

Ask Crowley if boomer was tag able Friday night
Just because Boomer beat him on the night, doesn't mean he wasn't taggable. He just wanted it more and ran harder.
In fairness, Boomer these days is one of the easier players to tag, as he doesn't win much of his own ball. He can still hurt you with a few of his trademark runs, even if he doesn't get much of it, but the hardest players to tag would be likes of Ablett who do win their own ball. However, you can still limit their effectiveness.

I watched Gazza Jnr on the weekend and the thing which stood out to me is him being in perpetual motion. He hardly walks a yard, keeps running around stoppages and his teammates provide blocks and look to dish to him at every opportunity. It'll require a team effort to really restrict him.

Just because Boomer beat him on the night, doesn't mean he wasn't taggable. He just wanted it more and ran harder.
In fairness, Boomer these days is one of the easier players to tag, as he doesn't win much of his own ball. He can still hurt you with a few of his trademark runs, even if he doesn't get much of it, but the hardest players to tag would be likes of Ablett who do win their own ball. However, you can still limit their effectiveness.

My point exactly Jr works harder than anyone I've watched beating a tag so why not just stop his options than sacrifice our game

My point exactly Jr works harder than anyone I've watched beating a tag so why not just stop his options than sacrifice our game
Because I would prefer everyone of his posessions (even if there are 40 of them) to be under huge pressure or in the act of being tackled. The effectiveness of them is the key, not the number of them. Yes he will get his own ball, but if he can't run away from contests and deliver it onto people's chests, or do the one-two style plays that he loves and kick goals, then we'll go a long way towards winning the game.

He will have an influence on the game no matter what, but I'd prefer it to be Simmo kind of influence with "karate" kicks from packs, rather than Ablett style influence where he wins games on his own.

I am not sure that I am comfortable with allowing the best player in the competition to do what he likes unhindered. He will win the game single-handedly for them!

I watched Gazza Jnr on the weekend and the thing which stood out to me is him being in perpetual motion. He hardly walks a yard, keeps running around stoppages and his teammates provide blocks and look to dish to him at every opportunity. It'll require a team effort to really restrict him.
Yep was going to say itll have to be a team effort. Beat him physically by denying him the ball as a collective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back