Ablett query

Remove this Banner Ad

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Maybe not really a Carlton thread, but trawling through some stats I noted that Judd has actually had more kicks than Ablett this year which surprised me.

I looked a bit further and noted Ablett's had twice the handballs (120 to 63) but in most other key stats its pretty close betweem the two. Gary has more goals and marks, Judd more tackles and clearances.

Given the banter on the board most seem to think that Ablett has taken the game to a completely new level...and I agree he is playing some incredible football...but is the gap back to the next best midfielders really that big? Even Dal Santo's stats present remarkably similar to Ablett's aside from handballs.

For the record I think Ablett is the most complete midfielder in the comp at the moment, and this isn't anti Ablett or pro Judd. I just ask the question is he streeting the field, or is he simply a lot of cheap handballs better than the next best midfielder?

Gary Ablett is streets ahead in my opinian.It's not how many handballs or kicks you get.It's what you do with it.Every time I watch Ablett play he stands out by a mile or 2.Judd is fantastic.As are alot of other midfielders but for me yes Ablett is steets ahead.

Right now ablett is killing it. We'll see if he can keep this going for the season etc. Right now though its not a contest.

I do see your point about the handball, he gets a lot of 1-2 handballs even 1-2-3s which achieve little but rack up the stats. Devils advocate: Judd does the same to an extent.

Maybe not really a Carlton thread, but trawling through some stats I noted that Judd has actually had more kicks than Ablett this year which surprised me.

I looked a bit further and noted Ablett's had twice the handballs (120 to 63) but in most other key stats its pretty close betweem the two. Gary has more goals and marks, Judd more tackles and clearances.

Given the banter on the board most seem to think that Ablett has taken the game to a completely new level...and I agree he is playing some incredible football...but is the gap back to the next best midfielders really that big? Even Dal Santo's stats present remarkably similar to Ablett's aside from handballs.

For the record I think Ablett is the most complete midfielder in the comp at the moment, and this isn't anti Ablett or pro Judd. I just ask the question is he streeting the field, or is he simply a lot of cheap handballs better than the next best midfielder?

this is so true.

ablett is the best mid atm but i dont think he is the most valuable. for every one handball that he should do he ends up receiveing 2 or 3 which makes any player look good. Judd is better as a overall midfielder and plays more for the team than himself.. not that ablett doesnt but when ablett gets the chance to get extra possesions he will.

I believe Ablett is ahead of Chris Judd by quite abit
although their stats are similar, alot of players would not have the ability to get the disposals Ablett gets because they do not have the ability to stand up in the tackles like he does. In saying this Judd is a superstar. :)

ablett is the best mid atm but i dont think he is the most valuable. for every one handball that he should do he ends up receiveing 2 or 3 which makes any player look good. Judd is better as a overall midfielder and plays more for the team than himself.. not that ablett doesnt but when ablett gets the chance to get extra possesions he will.

Agree strongly. I think he is an elite player but hardly worthy of the attention that he gets. I'd love to see Ablett head up to the Gold Coast and watch him struggle playing with a team of kids who arent going to win the footy for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back