Ablett snr vs Dunstall

Which was the better player?

• Ablett snr

• Dunstall

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett played FF far longer than post 30. That's become a myth post retirement. As has his standing in the game.

Ablett has the freakish highlights reel while Dunstall just produced great football every week without the fanfare. Ablett was far more wow-ing but not as consistently great, despite some obviously great periods of consistency at times.

You're a hard task master if you don't think he was consistent for his whole career.

Ablett playing solely as a full forward for the last 4 seasons of his career from age 32 to age 34 (his birthday was a week after the season finished), kicked:

124 goals 60 behinds from 17 games
129 goals 79 behinds from 25 games
122 goals 85 behinds from 22 games
69 goals 31 behinds from 17 games did his knee this season and that finished him.

From 1984 to 1990 and 1992 as a wingman, centreman and a forward he did the following :

1984 33 goals 28 behinds from 15 games (he won his one and only b&f and had his 2nd highest ever tally of Brownlow votes was named in the VFL team of the year and kicked 8 on debut for the Big V)
1985 82 goals 67 behinds from 20 games
1986 65 goals 49 behinds from 15 games
1987 53 goals 38 behinds from 17 games
1988 82 goals 62 behinds from 21 games
1989 87 goals 54 behinds (including a finals series record of 27 goals)
1990 75 goals 43 behinds from 17 games
1991 retired for the first half of the season
1992 72 goals 54 behinds from 21 games

And yet when I recall the news paper articles of the time from the likes of Mike Sheenan; Dunstall was chosen ahead of Ablett because of his reliability and team value. Old Gary and young Gary have never been guilty of having a defensive side to their games.

The stat I would like to see added to the collective records of Dunstall, Lockett and Ablett is goal assists. I think folk would then really understand who was the more complete player. Piggy gave away and created many many goals. More machine than highlight real. No one was that much better than him that they win in a canter.

And yet when I recall the news paper articles of the time from the likes of Mike Sheenan; Dunstall was chosen ahead of Ablett because of his reliability and team value. Old Gary and young Gary have never been guilty of having a defensive side to their games.

The stat I would like to see added to the collective records of Dunstall, Lockett and Ablett is goal assists. I think folk would then really understand who was the more complete player. Piggy gave away and created many many goals. More machine than highlight real. No one was that much better than him that they win in a canter.
Dunstall would be a mile ahead in goal assists.

Why?

There was not much between Dunstall and Lockett imo and both were 1 position players as opposed to Ablett who was more versatile.

Easy. Dunstall was just clinically very very good, but they were simply awesome to watch. They made s**t happen both with talent and brutality. Was pure sporting theatre. Just loved it.

He'd played full-forward before, throughout his career really. The key number there is 17 games. Yes it was a brilliant, but short run of form, which he never replicated again.
Didn't he kick 3 seasons of 100+ back to back from age 33? That seems to indicate a not so short run of form... :huh:

Didn't he kick 3 seasons of 100+ back to back from age 33? That seems to indicate a not so short run of form... :huh:

32 actually, and age doesn't make his performance any better. He'd only clocked up 150 games or so prior to 93, so he should've been fresher than your average 32 year old anyway.

Kicking the ton was a good achievement, but it doesn't set him apart from other full forwards.

32 actually, and age doesn't make his performance any better. He'd only clocked up 150 games or so prior to 93, so he should've been fresher than your average 32 year old anyway.

Kicking the ton was a good achievement, but it doesn't set him apart from other full forwards.
You said he didn't replicate his season of 93... but he kicked well over 100 goals in 94 and 95 also... which I think is enough evidence to call you out as a troll.

Ablett was the greater player, Dunstall the better Full Forward. Both champions.

You said he didn't replicate his season of 93... but he kicked well over 100 goals in 94 and 95 also... which I think is enough evidence to call you out as a troll.

Simply getting to the 100 mark wouldn't be replicating 1993, he averaged two more goals a game that year than any other season. Kicking the ton wasn't a feat to separate the better full-forwards. Hell even Malcolm Blight did that one year.

Simply getting to the 100 mark wouldn't be replicating 1993, he averaged two more goals a game that year than any other season. Kicking the ton wasn't a feat to separate the better full-forwards. Hell even Malcolm Blight did that one year.
You said that Ablett's 93 was "a short run of form"... Keeping digging that hole...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1993 was rarefied form, but even without 1993 we would still be having the same conversation.

The conversation regardless of 1993 is that he could play full-forward to a level approximate to other full-forwards of his era over a 4 year period. It hardly sets him apart. I would argue Dunstall was the better full-forward and player because of his unselfishness and defensive pressure, not to mention leadership, performance in big games. Ablett went missing in too many Grand Finals.

Dunstall. Part Hawthorn bias. Dunstall played for the team, Ablett played for himself. Dunstall is the bread and butter. Ablett is the jam. You can survive on bread and butter, harder to do with just jam.

The conversation regardless of 1993 is that he could play full-forward to a level approximate to other full-forwards of his era over a 4 year period. It hardly sets him apart. I would argue Dunstall was the better full-forward and player because of his unselfishness and defensive pressure, not to mention leadership, performance in big games. Ablett went missing in too many Grand Finals.

To be fair, he nearly won them 89 off his own boot. That and the thuggery of Crouch and co, that tried to maim rather than play, but 9 goals in a losing side, I wouldn’t say that he went missing in that game.

To be fair, he nearly won them 89 off his own boot. That and the thuggery of Crouch and co, that tried to maim rather than play, but 9 goals in a losing side, I wouldn’t say that he went missing in that game.

Sure not in that game, just the other 3. The only Grand Final Dunstall underperformed in was in 1985, his first year. Bags of 6, 7, 4, 6 in the others.

Sure not in that game, just the other 3. The only Grand Final Dunstall underperformed in was in 1985, his first year. Bags of 6, 7, 4, 6 in the others.

I always thought that both the Abletts were overrated tbh. Too focused on their own personal achievements rather than their teams. Just goes to show at how underrated Dunstall truly is.

Back