Ablett this time a punch gotta get a suspension for that

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett is fast becoming unpopular with fans because we think he is being treated lightly. If he gets off this week public/ media response will be harsh and extensive.

Can't imagine that will do his mental health any favours or help to stem the tide of booing. It was a legitimate foul, and he must be suspended for it.
He was one of my favourite players. His screwing around of gc put me a bit off but his gay hating, sniping and unfairly lenient treatment by the afl and subsequent whining that he is somehow getting a raw deal has put me right off.

And you’re a mod?
Can I report you for making light of racism?
How do you bring race into this?

Congratulations you entirely missed the point. Well done

Intentional, head high, low impact - 1 week

Intentional, head high, not enough force - nothing

It can't not be the first 2, as it was a break in play and the act of striking in a break in play is specifically mentioned in the guidelines as conclusive evidence that the strike was intentional (besides the obvious that he looked at him and punched him, but just to further prove it).
And it got him in the jaw, it was head high.

But Miles didn't go to ground so there is an argument for the not enough force. Will be interesting to see. At the very least Ablett can stop sooking about his new found reputation surely - how can he possibly argue this one wasn't meant.
They can throw the Geelong teammate under the bus for causing the damage by throwing miles to ground

Should be 2 weeks minimum. It was a deliberate clenched fist to the face with a fair swing behind it. Impact, intent, potential for injury is easily above the Martin one earlier this year, the soldo and Brisbane player ones last week, and all 3 of the ablett and fyfe hits.
Under current rules he should get 1 week. But I'm all for "non football acts" to go straight to the tribunal and not have a formula applied by MRO. All deliberate punches to the head off the ball should be 2 weeks minimum if we want to stamp it out. It's only luck that separates a punch to the head from causing a concussion.

Shepherds/late spoils/bumps in play are one thing... strikes off the ball are inexcusable.

How about we set aside the hysterics for a moment. Put aside the previous incidents.

It’s out of play (unlike the other 2). Clenched fist, connecting to the face. Low impact. Intentional. Anyone care to argue with any of those facts?

One week. I think level of impact doesn’t get him off when it’s off the play and intentional with a closed fist. There are enough precedents.

The footy vultures are lapping this up, thier envious tiny minds might simply break at this rate....there is nothing in it again, but sure, why not, string Ablett up and ban him for life! What a weak game we all follow when the Umpire is less than a few feet away, pays a free and then all hell breaks loose becasue of the love tap that caused it? Why have umpires at all?

Quick look to the left to see which team you support and yep all makes sense.

Just want to put things in perspective.
This incident is worthy of a week yet two clumsy incidents, clearly not as bad as this also deserve a week?
I don’t think so.
Fines at worst for those two, obviously this is worse so it’s a week.

Scarlett also punched Ballantyne a bit harder and all I remember is applause. Scarlett was also a dirtier player in general.
The hate Ablett gets around here is hysterical.

In isolation, I expect he would have got off this one (not to say that is right).

But when you throw in the last two recent incidents, I struggle to see how he will avoid a week. Even though those other incidents should have no bearing, they will.

It just shows how strange the system is - this should be a week, but by itself, probably doesn't get one. Prior incidents shouldn't come into it, but they do.

In isolation, I expect he would have got off this one (not to say that is right).

But when you throw in the last two recent incidents, I struggle to see how he will avoid a week. Even though those other incidents should have no bearing, they will.

It just shows how strange the system is - this should be a week, but by itself, probably doesn't get one. Prior incidents shouldn't come into it, but they do.
That's a strange take on this. Just last week Soldo goes for a jog back to the centre. Worpel steps in his path. Soldo lifts his arms to brace for impact. Worpel drops his knees to be collected a little higher. Soldo gets done for intentionally hitting Worpel because it was behind play! Go to the tribunal where it is upheld.
Now we have a punch to the face behind play in a definite intentional action. Sure it's not hard but given that Soldo got a week for that, Ablett should get at least a week if not 2 weeks for his action. That's if we want to be consistent....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a strange take on this. Just last week Soldo goes for a jog back to the centre. Worpel steps in his path. Soldo lifts his arms to brace for impact. Worpel drops his knees to be collected a little higher. Soldo gets done for intentionally hitting Worpel because it was behind play! Go to the tribunal where it is upheld.
Now we have a punch to the face behind play in a definite intentional action. Sure it's not hard but given that Soldo got a week for that, Ablett should get at least a week if not 2 weeks for his action. That's if we want to be consistent....

Which they never are and that's the cause of 99% of annoyance from fans

My guess on what this would have got in isolation is based on what we have seen in the past from the MRP with the big names.

Not saying that is right (I'd give this a week in any scenario).

Is anyone actually surprised to be here though. The AFL have sanctioned his ability to hit people in the head.

Sorry to say that the MRP stumbled at the start of the season with your man Cunnington. If they had come down hard ( say a week ) for gut punching, maybe the clenched fist ythat connects would be an automatic one week.

As for Gazza, he is just a slow learner or protected, you choose the category. If he used a clenched fist and connected anywhere, a week is awaiting.

Clenched fist off the ball, is a no no.

This thread is going to be great if he gets off. Certainly possible for not enough force again, Parson pusing him over did him no favours to the visual of it and it would look a lot more tame if he kept his feet.

Its like Ablett is teasing us all by hitting opponents with 90% of the required force to be low impact. The man has great touch.

Under current laws if you clench your fist and whack someone then you’re in strife, but you watch the insufficient force line get trotted out just for Gaz and and wait for a lesser player to be rubbed out for far less. Bookmark it.

Just like ablett getting cited a week and Eric hipwood getting off for much greater force?

There are plenty of examples of no name players who get off. The difference is everybody wants the big star to get rubbed out and throws their arms around about it. They both get treated exactly the same

Sorry to say that the MRP stumbled at the start of the season with your man Cunnington. If they had come down hard ( say a week ) for gut punching, maybe the clenched fist ythat connects would be an automatic one week.

As for Gazza, he is just a slow learner or protected, you choose the category. If he used a clenched fist and connected anywhere, a week is awaiting.

Clenched fist off the ball, is a no no.
Agree completely. How he hasn’t been suspended is amazing.

Most likely a week but not a given. Umpire saw and only paid free kick so from the field up close it must have been milked pretty badly otherwise the umpire would have reported him on the spot.

Either way he gets a fresh rest and is right to go for Richmond as we don’t need him to beat Sydney.

How about we set aside the hysterics for a moment. Put aside the previous incidents.

It’s out of play (unlike the other 2). Clenched fist, connecting to the face. Low impact. Intentional. Anyone care to argue with any of those facts?

One week. I think level of impact doesn’t get him off when it’s off the play and intentional with a closed fist. There are enough precedents.

For 99% of players its a week. And no club would contest it.

It’s a strike. Should get suspended
Unquestionably on both counts.
The footy vultures are lapping this up, thier envious tiny minds might simply break at this rate....there is nothing in it again, but sure, why not, string Ablett up and ban him for life! What a weak game we all follow when the Umpire is less than a few feet away, pays a free and then all hell breaks loose becasue of the love tap that caused it? Why have umpires at all?
Thank you for your highly objective post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back