Ablett this time a punch gotta get a suspension for that

Remove this Banner Ad

Should get a week for the action but if there have been 2 consistencies with the MRO this year they have been: 1) dont rub out Gaz and, 2) punish the outcome and not the action.
He will escape again unfortunately.

What about the bitch slap first? He had a few cracks at Miles.
And vice versa; Miles baited GAJ. That's why the umpire warned the two to "cool your jets".

I'm sick of defending Ablett for silly undisciplined acts; he probably deserves a week off regardless of what the MRO does.

He will get a week and that’s about right.
The Shiel and Wright decisions -careless and insufficient force were correct calls despite the paranoid hysteria on big footy. 3 pretty innocuous incidents in 330 games and suddenly he’s the scourge of footy. Silly overreactions. He seems to be a bit crankier lately but minor infractions nonetheless so be good if some people could get a grip.
This time however, he threw a punch - it didn’t make much contact and miles made a meal of it but can’t be doing that Ablett.

Last edited:
And vice versa; Miles baited GAJ. That's why the umpire warned the two to "cool your jets".

I'm sick of defending Ablett for silly undisciplined acts; he probably deserves a week off regardless of what the MRO does.
Miles reacted to Ablett pushing around another Gold Coast player first.
Wouldn't be surprised if Miles gets a fine if one of his landed on Ablett's chest

He will get a week and that’s about right.
The Shiel and Wright decisions -careless and insufficient force were correct calls despite the paranoid hysteria on big footy. 3 pretty innocuous incidents in 330 games and suddenly he’s the scourge of footy. Silly overreactions. He seems to be a bit crankier lately but minor infractions nonetheless so be good if some people could get a grip.
This time however, he threw a punch - it didn’t make much contact and miles made a meal of it but can’t be doing that Ablett.

He's not exactly in Rhys-Jones territory but he's had a few more than 3 incidents in 330 games. It's just that he's consistently been given slightly more latitude than some other players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 week Gaz.

Gary Ablett, Geelong Cats, has been charged with Striking Anthony Miles, Gold Coast SUNS during the third quarter of the Round 10 match between the Gold Coast SUNS and the Geelong Cats, played at Metricon Stadium on Saturday May 25.

In summary he can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Intentional Conduct with Low Impact and High Contact. The incident was classified as a one-match sanction.

I guess no additional week for potential to cause injury
I don't reckon Miles staging could have caused Ablett injury though so while I'm disgusted in Miles' peaheartedness I'm ok with him getting off this time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back