Abolish the umpire bouncing the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Effes

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2003
AFL Club
Carlton
There is no logical reason as to why the bounce should continue to be a part of AFL (or any level of football).

Everyone (AFL admin, supporters, clubs) talk about everyone being giving an equal opportunity.

Yet we continue with something which on a number of occasions per game/qtr gives a team a free kick - it may be a centre bounce, a ball up inside forward 50. The lopsided bounce gives a ruckman a free tap and a free clearance to the midfielder. A goal scored from this lopsided bounce can change a game, can change the result, can cost a coach his job, cost a club money, cost punters money - you get the point...

So we can very easily change this...the AFL can very easily make it so that every ruckman has a FAIR shot at winning the hitout. They can get fair crack. You also get the instances where the bounce sits on the ruckmans head and it's like they're receiving a hospital handball/kick - they cannot protect themselves so the opposing ruckman can jump into and smash them...this isn't fair - why should we allow this situation to continue when there is such a simple solution - and when there is absolutely NO LOGIC in continuing to bounce the ball.

The other factor is umpire fatigue and allowing the umpires to watch the contest. Instead of them having to smash the ball into the ground and use up energy they can focus on the contest and pick out free kicks accordingly. Also I'm guessing there are lots of highly skilled umpires at the lower level who do not get the opportunity higher up because they cannot master this irrelevant, pointless skill. Why should skilled people be prevented from umpiring and improving the game because they can't perform an antiquated and pointless skill?

Instead of fatiguing umpires they can focus on decision making - I'm guessing being able to cover the ground for 120 minutes has a massive impact on whether an umpire makes it - I wonder if this factor comes into it more than whether they're good officiators. So those who may not be able to perform as well for 120 minutes will have that extra energy if they don't have to perform a pointless thing such as bouncing the ball.

There is NO LOGIC in keeping it...abolish the bounce!

The bounce down is without doubt the most illogical and nonsensical part of our game.
Traditionalists will argue long and hard for it and their only argument is the tradition itself or maybe the unpredictability.
There is enough unpredictability with our oval ball as it is.

Every stop of play should start evenly.

I agree that there are too many changes in our game, but this is one that would not make an iota of difference.

I know for a fact that the ability to bounce gave Scott McLaren more finals than he ever deserved, and that it reduced the amount of finals that a better umpire like Hayden Kennedy should have umpired.

Just crazy.

I've never understood why we wouldn't change something so that the game is fairer. The AFL is happy to fiddle about with many aspects yet such an obvious alteration is not made. The 'tradition' call has no basis.. Nobody will stop going or watching because the bounce is eradicated. It's stupid. Hate it when a ruckman is the victim of a dodgy bounce, then is free-kicked for trying to get to the ball or for apparently 'blocking' his opponent when he could do nothing but sit under the ball.

Love the bounce down - one unique thing about our game is that the ball is a little random and often unfair. If you get a bad bounce have a cry about it IMO. It's not basketball, the less 'jump balls' we have instead of bouncedowns the better.

Agree here. In the long term, the slightly favourable bounces even up amongst teams. It is indeed a skill to make the most of a slightly advantageous bounce when you get one, as it is a skill to deal with it defensively when it goes against you. Good ruckmen and on-ballers can achieve this, and even practise for it. Note I talk about slightly advantageous bounces - the fact that they recall the really bad ones makes sense.

So that is the logic for keeping the bounce for those that see none - it provides another area of uncertainty and nuance for which the players need to develop skill to deal with.

There is an argument to remove the bounce though - that being that it is a difficult skill that denies otherwise good umpires from umpiring at the top level. I can also see throwing it up around the ground (quickly) could help reduce the crowding in the game.

Bouncing the ball when running is also a skill and I'm sure if they didn't have to do it more players would be able to play the game. Perhaps the answer is to change to a round ball.

Or perhaps, better still, if you don't like aspects of the game, pick another one to watch.

Most people watch football for the players' skills (i.e. bouncing the ball when running), not the umpires (i.e. bouncing to reset play).

The players' skills also include the ability to contest a ruck, which includes the ability to read a ball with an inconsistent bounce. Throwing the ball in the air lessens that skill and reduces the spectacle of a ruck contest.

Couldn't disagree more - surely in every sport, when you can minimize unfairness and umpire-impact, you do so. The old 'it evens out' argument won't hold much water when the last ball-up of a Grand Final results in the winning goal. S'pose the losing team might get the benefit of a favorable bounce in Round One the following season. No doubt they'll be OK wIth that. With clearances being such a crucial aspect of the game, why allow the officials to unwittingly have a role? Can't see how dodgy bounces make the ruck contest a better spectacle - just frustrating.

A dodgy bounce doesn't make the ruck contest a better spectacle, variable bounce does.

Dodgy decisions have far more impact than dodgy bouncing. They recall a bounce when it goes too awry anyway, so where's the problem?

A dodgy bounce doesn't make the ruck contest a better spectacle, variable bounce does.

Umpires wouldn't throw the ball up with laser-like precision every time. It would minimise the variability, but not get rid of it.

Dodgy decisions have far more impact than dodgy bouncing. They recall a bounce when it goes too awry anyway, so where's the problem?

The ability to bounce the ball consistently well is a major barrier to entry for potential umpires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'Dodgy' or 'variable' it doesn't matter. The ruckmen should have equal opportunity to contest the ball-up. Dodgy decisions we can't do a whole lot about. Getting the ball-up right we can. Just makes no sense to allow match officials to have an impact when we can minimise iIt.

I've always enjoyed the umpire bouncing the ball - if you don't win the tap then win the clearance, if you can't win the clearance then the defenders better be prepared for an early goal shot. I can understand you want umpires to have more "energy" for more "decision making" but truth be told it's going to make the game less entertaining even though it would be more fair. The sport will turn more into Basketball rather than be considered it's own game at this rate.

They recall a bounce when it goes too awry anyway, so where's the problem?

Actually they don't - so often this season the bounce will be skewed - it will still be within the circle so it's not a catastrophic bounce but it still gives one ruckman a free hit at the ball and the other ruckman has no chance whatsoever. A subtle angle on the bounce can give a ruckman a free tap, the midfielder a clean clearance and a key forward a one on one contested inside 50 for a scoring shot...

I don't know how this can be called fair - there is a simple solution which should be implemented.

I don't know how this can be called fair - there is a simple solution which should be implemented.

Yeah, abolish the bounce and change to a round ball, then everyone can have 'fair' bounces all game long!

Agree definately.
Takes too much time, the bounce is at times fickle, and by throwing it up we might get less congestion around the packs.
Maybe just keep it for the first bounce of a quarter to keep 'em happy.

Love the bounce down - one unique thing about our game is that the ball is a little random and often unfair. If you get a bad bounce have a cry about it IMO. It's not basketball, the less 'jump balls' we have instead of bouncedowns the better.

Until this year, I have always had the same opinion. I still enjoy the high bounce to start a game/quarter and the slight variation in the way in bounces is part of the game, as is the unpredictable bounce of the ball as it rolls towards a player.

But its well known that better decision makers are being squeezed out by the guys who can bouce it well. The comment above quoting Matthews as saying ex-players are put off umpiring by the inability to bounce rams it home.

I'd be happy to let that tradition die off for the sake of more umpires of a better quality.

To appease the traditionalists, put the goal umpires back in ong coats with their silly little hats.

Agree 100%. Every sport has some kind of element of chance and luck in it, ours is the shape and bounce of the ball. Every sport has unique features about it, the bounce is just one of ours. To abolish the bounce would be like abolishing the scrum in rugby. Yes, this leaves the umpires up to a vital aspect of chance in the game, but if the first bounce is shoddy, bring it back for a jumpball. Too easy.

The thing is, umpires have a tough as hell job to do without having to perfect what is quite a technical skill, I've tried it a number of times and it is very difficult, and if it is indeed a barrier to more future umpires getting into the game then it should be scrapped, because it's tough enough trying to attract them anyway. The traditionalist in me likes the idea of the bounce being a part of the game but the pragmatist says that it's really just a pointless exercise which makes things needlessly complicated.

I've always been a traditionalist and staunch advocate of keeping the bounce but must admit, have changed my tune in the past few years. Abolition of the bounce at my level has certainly given me a few more years than I would have had otherwise. I've quizzed many people over the years and the posts above are very typical - it's very polarising.

Those in favour enjoy the randomness and don't want the game to get to the point where every ball up is a predictable skill drill. Mind you, the ruckmen who want to keep it are also the first who complain if it doesn't go their way. On the flip side, this must be the only game where the skill of an official comes into play which I don't think should be the intention.

As for field bounce to be thrown and only centre bounces to be bounced, I can't understand that. Surely should be all or nothing. Out of interest, expect the standard of bouncing to possibly deteriorate over the years. These days it just about seems that the only comps bouncing the ball are VFL or AFL. Most young aspiring umpires won't actually get to bounce a ball in match conditions until they reach the VFL. When I had a turn we had all been bouncing in suburban footy since we started and got to state level with bouncing as a natural skill. Not such the case now.

I love watching the bounce it's a great start to the game I can't explain why but it makes the start so much more epic seeing the ump slam it down

It's a great little unique thing that makes footy great

Remove this Banner Ad

Back