Abolish the umpire bouncing the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

No way. Nothing better than the GF first qtr siren sounds with the crowd roaring and somebody like Matthew Ryan rocketing a huge bounce to start the contest. That's the main thing I can remember as a kid. Just because some umps couldn't do it today on the rubbish Etihad doesn't mean we need to kill it.

Not having to worry about bouncing the ball means a bigger pool of umpires to choose from means increased quality of umpiring, in addition to having the ball put into play the same way every time.

But yes, that will be death of Aussie rules footy :rolleyes:

If an umpire can bounce the ball, they should. It is a great part of the game.

When an umpire doesn't feel they can bounce the ball, be it weather or confidence, they should advise the players and throw the ball.

At the end of the day, it is a great part of the game but we don't go to the footy to watch umpires.

Not having to worry about bouncing the ball means a bigger pool of umpires to choose from means increased quality of umpiring, in addition to having the ball put into play the same way every time.

But yes, that will be death of Aussie rules footy :rolleyes:

We could get rid of throwing being outlawed as well. I mean the umpires let half of them go anyway. And we can take down the Behind posts and allow deflections off the posts to still count as goals. And have the last team to touch it give away a free kick when the ball goes out of bounds.

That would get rid of heaps more contentious issues and make it even easier to find umpires.

We can call the game Ausrugbaskeccer.

We could get rid of throwing being outlawed as well. I mean the umpires let half of them go anyway. And we can take down the Behind posts and allow deflections off the posts to still count as goals. And have the last team to touch it give away a free kick when the ball goes out of bounds.

That would get rid of heaps more contentious issues and make it even easier to find umpires.

We can call the game Ausrugbaskeccer.

We could, but i fail to see the relevance of this to the topic of the thread.

Can't believe the number of football "experts" who feel it is necessary for the umpire to bounce the ball "well." Who cares how it bounces.....the ball bounces irregularly multiple times all over the ground during the course of the game.

The requirement to have a predictable bounce simply feeds set plays and congestion and is counter to the essence of the game....the ball is oval it naturally bounces irregularly.

The unpredictable bounce at the centre requires players to spread to anticipate any occurrence...just like play around the ground. If the ruckman can't get to it bad luck somebody else will.

Teams have the option of tagging each other if they are worried about a wide bounce. Take the pressure off the umpire.... accept whatever bounce happens. If you want a predictable bounce...make it easy get a round ball or play soccer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's outrageous.
It's a bloody outrage it is! I'm gonna take this all the way to the prime minister
97.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back