AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Changes to this year's AFL Record Season Guide list

added: Terry Burgess, Gary Malarkey
removed: Don Keyter
missing: Sydney Stack, Marlion Pickett
I thought they'd end up leaving those last two off! I'm not sure how Pickett could be forgotten!

Burgess and Malarkey (2018) were in the 2019 book. See post above yours (Burgess)! Keyter hasn't been in the book for a while - not since 2017.

I can see three names they've not included here: LISTED INDIGENOUS PLAYERS YET TO PLAY A GAME
Trent Burgoyne (Port Adelaide), Jy Farrar and Malcolm Rosas (Gold Coast). Burgoyne should have been hard to miss as well! Only a few pages away he's listed in the family links section as being the son of Peter Burgoyne.

I make it 87 indigenous players on 2020 lists.
+ 1 for Harley Bennell (Melbourne)!

Last edited:

Ron The Bear

Come on Sydney, come on!
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought they'd end up leaving those last two off! I'm not sure how Pickett could be forgotten!

Burgess and Malarkey (2018) were in the 2019 book. See post above yours (Burgess)! Keyter hasn't been in the book for a while - not since 2017.

I can see three names they've not included here: LISTED INDIGENOUS PLAYERS YET TO PLAY A GAME
Trent Burgoyne (Port Adelaide), Jy Farrar and Malcolm Rosas (Gold Coast). Burgoyne should have been hard to miss as well! Only a few pages away he's listed in the family links section as being the son of Peter Burgoyne.

I make it 87 indigenous players on 2020 lists.
+ 1 for Harley Bennell (Melbourne)!
You're way ahead of me.

Stack and Pickett were recruited after the 2019 edition was printed. They must've referenced against an outdated list of players when compiling this year's list.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
You're way ahead of me.

Stack and Pickett were recruited after the 2019 edition was printed. They must've referenced against an outdated list of players when compiling this year's list.
Yeah, that's a likely explanation. Yet late-comers to last season like Collingwood's John Noble and Fremantle's Dillon O'Reilly have made it into the family links section, so they haven't been forgotten.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
There have been several posts in this Footy History thread recently regarding George Simmonds, the 1924 Melbourne player. It has been established that he was not indigenous, and his name can be removed from the list of all-time AFL/VFL indigenous players.

I sent an email regarding the Simmonds' story to the AFL chaps on Friday night, and have now heard from Col Hutchinson. This is the key bit from his response:
Thanks for clarifying the Simmonds situation.

I will adjust the AFL records accordingly.

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
Forty-six former Clontarf students have been drafted into the AFL since 2000 including the likes of (current) Liam Ryan, Willie Rioli, Paddy Ryder, Neville Jetta, Jack Martin.
Not sure if Sam Petrevski -Seton or Joel Hambling came through Clontarf.

Sam Powell & Quintin Narkle arent Clontarf graduates.

More than six Fred.

Last edited:

freddy mercury

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Jacksonville
Forty-six former Clontarf students have been drafted into the AFL since 20 including the likes of (current) Liam Ryan, Willie Rioli, Paddy Ryder, Neville Jetta, Jack Martin.
Not sure if Sam Petrevski -Seton or Joel Hambling came through Clontarf.

Sam Powell & Quintin Narkle arent Clontarf graduates.

More than six Fred.
I see.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
What's the current number of indigenous in the afl ?
Currently I have the figure at 83, but that is definitely only an approximate number. As well as 71 (of the 88) indigenous players who were on 2020 lists another 12 that I know of have come on to the lists for 2021. There's every possibility that there are at least one or two more names that I'm not aware of, but when the AFL Record Season Guide comes out shortly (it's due on the 18th) any "unknown" names should be revealed. There's also some chance that the likes of Cedric Cox and Derek Eggmolesse-Smith will get picked up again, while Kobe Farmer and Rhyan Mansell are also training with clubs and could be snapped up as well.

Last edited:

Ron The Bear

Come on Sydney, come on!
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Additions to the list

Lindsay Gilbee (WB)
Aiden Bonar (GWS,NM)

Removed

Brad Lynch (WB)