Abortions cause breast cancer, says Senator Abetz

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There you go

Eric Abetz draws link between abortion and breast cancer before World Congress of Families
Date August 7, 2014 - 10:14PM
Saffron Howden

Senior government minister Eric Abetz has drawn a link between abortion and breast cancer in a television interview. Senator Abetz, the leader of the government in the upper house and the Employment Minister, made the comments on Channel 10 program The Project when asked if he believed the "factually incorrect" statement that abortion leads to breast cancer.

"I think the studies, and I think they date back from the 1950s, assert that there is a link between abortion and breast cancer," he said on Thursday night. When his comments were questioned, Senator Abetz said: "There are other organisations [other than the Australian Medical Association] that have differing views."

The Australian Medical Association said the comments were irresponsible. "If he's quoting papers from the 1950s, I suspect that's where he's living," AMA President Associate Professor Brian Owler said. "I think it's really irresponsible for people to be using their own ideology and projecting it on, particularly women." The abortion-breast cancer theory has been rejected by Cancer Australia, the World Health Organisation, the US National Cancer Institute, Britain's Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists and health authorities in Victoria and NSW.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...f-families-20140807-101p60.html#ixzz39hylxOfI

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who would have guessed?

Senator Abetz, who is openly anti-abortion, is involved with this this year's "World Congress of Families" event to be held in Melbourne later this month, where the one of the topics to be discussed is abortion and breast cancer.

Federal Social Services Minister Kevin Andrews, who is an ambassador for the US-based anti-homosexuality "congress", will open and close the event.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...f-families-20140807-101p60.html#ixzz39hzgUjrV

Who would have guessed?
Just watched the episode of The Project and after watching their discussion on Brandis, saw the story with Abetz. I couldn't believe what I was watching. How in the world are we going to cope with the next two years?
Even evidence from the AMA wasn't enough to convince him. Couldn't watch it again, but did he refer to studies in the 50's?

Sep 29, 2008
Between the lines.
AFL Club
West Coast
There you go
Regardless of ones moral position on abortion, surely flat out bullshitting the public on health issues is not only reprehensible, but dangerous.

Also, on Andrews, seems he isn't a fan of sex workers, or people being politically involved. Also, it is insanity to have those looking for jobs have to spend their savings, before the start of the six month waiting period.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...-dole/story-fn59noo3-1227015862350#mm-premium

SEX workers and table-top dancers who lose their jobs will not be eligible for a reduction in the number of months they have to wait before they can get the dole, sparking accusations the Abbott government is imposing moral judgments on the social welfare system.

Even unemployed people who claim they have worked by running for public office will have to wait longer than others to get the Newstart Allowance.

Welfare Rights has written a submission to the government, declaring its outrage at the “moral judgments” being made in new rules.

Other concerns raised by Welfare Rights in its submission include new rules that make unemployed people spend their savings — before the six-month waiting period for the dole even begins. Welfare Rights says the treatment of the Liquid Assets Waiting Period (LAWP) is particularly unfair.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...-dole/story-fn59noo3-1227015862350#mm-premium

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Abetz is a Catholic, yes??

He covered himself in so much glory in the Godwin Grech thing.

I think even the rusted on Lib 'supporters' must be starting to cringe whenever 'Wreckless Eric' Abetz opens his trap.
You might think Jaqui Lambie is a worry, but Abetz is definitely the biggest FWIT in any level of government in this country.
Closely followed by Brandis & Pine. Then you add Hokey Pokey & the Mad Monk, OMG.:eek:

We're DOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMEEEDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!:cry:

:D

mottrain

Premiership Player
Suspended
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I think even the rusted on Lib 'supporters' must be starting to cringe whenever 'Wreckless Eric' Abetz opens his trap.
You might think Jaqui Lambie is a worry, but Abetz is definitely the biggest FWIT in any level of government in this country.
Closely followed by Brandis & Pine. Then you add Hokey Pokey & the Mad Monk, OMG.:eek:

We're DOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMEEEDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!:cry:

:D
Kate Ellis is still the member for Adelaide yeah.

Stumpy Pete

Premiership Player
Sep 2, 2003
At the Butterfly Ball
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why are the Liberals turning into Tea Party Republicans?

Exactly. I'm a 15+ years union member who voted for the Coalition in the least election because of a range of reasons. I look through the Coalition ranks and there is some genuine talent there (including Abbott IMO) but I'm struggling not to have some buyers remorse.

Regards

S. Pete

Back