Absurdity of the 'Country' game

I think you are taking the name a little too literally. It is a game to celebrate the country and the farmers. Also, maybe expose some of these city folk to some country life and get them to care about it.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
In a round where the afl has a match in Shanghai they inexplicably schedule Sheedy's brain fart at the mcg. How the hell can a country themed game be played in the most populous city in the state? Would it be so hard to fixture the country game in a rural town?

With all the stuff on outside the ground the idea is “bring the country to the city”, to showcase things a bit like the Royal Show.

It makes a bit of sense from that point of view.

It’s a weekend off for many country footy leagues so the timing is right. The curtain raiser is a country interleague game.

Hopefully they’ve done free transport and tickets through country footy clubs, not sure about that.

Hosting at Geelong would make some sense though it doesn’t really work for Gippsland etc.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
It's clearly silly. As is the Bulldogs pretending that playing to 6.5k people in Ballarat is feasible. It needs a rethink on exactly what you're rying to achieve I think.

I think it would be a good option to take one game a year to smaller places. Victoria isn't that big and the major regional centers are in fairly easy reach of Melbourne games.

The smaller centers further from Melbourne would take the game to places that dont usually get an opportunity to see top level football. As a spectacle it would draw a high percentage of the local population regardless of the clubs involved.

Note that it would be a "one off" with no intention of an AFL team based in Mildura for example, simply taking AFL to the grass roots. The stadium surfaces might be an issue but fundamentally if they are not safe then they shouldn't be used for local comps anyway.

Franc de Borges

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 5, 2010
Behind Sunglasses
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Australia
I think you are taking the name a little too literally. It is a game to celebrate the country and the farmers. Also, maybe expose some of these city folk to some country life and get them to care about it.

I think taking the 'country game' too literally by thinking it might be in the country is a reasonable thing to do.

Is the Shanghai game at Adelaide Oval with a bunch of noodle and dumpling stands outside?

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Hilarious that the game was a night game last year and a twilight fixture this season.

Anybody who actually lives in the country won't be getting home until well after 10pm - great if you've got young kids or an early start the next day I imagine.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
I think taking the 'country game' too literally by thinking it might be in the country is a reasonable thing to do.

Is the Shanghai game at Adelaide Oval with a bunch of noodle and dumpling stands outside?
That would be sick. Maybe some Bao's as well

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It's utter guff.

It's the bad aftertaste of Sheedy losing his marbles, but just before anyone realised it. This was in that phase when people still thought he was some sort of crazy genius - except that the genius bit had actually already passed.

His pre-match address to GWS before their first game was when everyone finally realised he'd lost his mind and that it was time for him to shelved. Unfortunately, this 'country game' s**t came before then.

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
In a round where the afl has a match in Shanghai they inexplicably schedule Sheedy's brain fart at the mcg. How the hell can a country themed game be played in the most populous city in the state? Would it be so hard to fixture the country game in a rural town?
Mark Fine is fine with this.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Would think so though dogs players said ballarat was one of the best surfaces theyd played on.
Just a thought from my point of view. In the past pre-season trial games were taken to to small country towns but this no longer happens. We did play a JLT game in Leeton which is another indicator, a long with reserves curtain raisers st Spotless, we are a lot more old fashioned than most would think.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Why should we celebrate farmers? Why not doctors? Teacher? Financial advisors? Lawyers. Farmers are not special.

Back