Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

Bolded bit is the key. Rarely happens, players are more likely to stick around in Victoria rotating between clubs as their home base is set. It provides them post-footy career opportunities as well, much higher than what's available in QLD.
Not just post career.

There’s f’all commercial or sponsorship opportunities up here for players during their playing career.

No jobs for the missus or dad arranged by the club president or coteries. No cheap house and land packages available from a club sponsor.

Plenty of critical Father/Son pieces in the Geelong teams, Brayshaw was a compensation pick 3 for them losing Frawley.

Sydney and Richmond were effectively assembled teams with via the draft and trades without a leg up. Fair play to them.
So we’re getting rid of father sons and compensation picks as well.

Neither of those leg ups are/were up for discussion.

You must have missed the memo, the whinging is about academy kids.

If only it actually worked like that. Player nominates which club they want to join, then we’re left dealing for whatever picks they hold.

If we could trade a player to which ever club offered the best deal, in terms of compensation, that would be better.

Isn’t this just basic trading 101. We were in the exact same position losing Kosi and Brockman? It’s not something that exclusively disadvantages the Lions. I’m just saying if any player wants to come to a vic club, we quite often have 4 or 5 clubs to bid against

Until you sacked him, North had more top 10 drafted academy kids on your clubs list, than the Lions do.

I’m guessing you were pretty loud on the North board, that North didn’t deserve to have access to Tarryn Thomas.

As I’ve said many times in this thread, there are many inequities in this competition that benefit all Victorian teams, that none of the Northern academies benefit from.

His father didn’t play AFL, he grew up playing league in NSW before moving to Tassie.

Unlike the northern academies we could only draft indigenous kids, or kids from a non footballing background. We missed out on Sanders in last year’s draft because he was too good, going in the first round, something the Northern academies don’t need to worry about.

Why were the southern academies watered down btw? Was it because of sooking coming from up North after the dogs landed JUH?

Richmond & Melbourne both had priority picks, they just traded them.
That wasn’t what you claimed.

Which picks did Richmond and Melbourne trade?

Richmond used theirs to get Deledio and Rance (who played in 2017 thus I didn’t claim that)

Melbourne took Silvia, Scully & Blease.

🤷‍♂️

Plenty of critical Father/Son pieces in the Geelong teams, Brayshaw was a compensation pick 3 for them losing Frawley.

Sydney and Richmond were effectively assembled teams with via the draft and trades without a leg up. Fair play to them.
Neither of which were actually what was being claimed. Nor was COLA. Nor compensation picks for FA moves.

The claim was:

Academy and priority pick players (for finishing with horrendous results) were involved in every flag in the past 20 years.

It’s simply incorrect.

That wasn’t what you claimed.

Which picks did Richmond and Melbourne trade?

Richmond used theirs to get Deledio and Rance (who played in 2017 thus I didn’t claim that)

Melbourne took Silvia, Scully & Blease.

🤷‍♂️

I was just going off the top of my head. So it’s just over half the premiership sides have received priority picks.

Williams & Kennedy - Carlton
Flynn - West Coast
Steele - St Kilda
Hopper - Richmond
Finlayson - Port

So over half those Academy guys “gifted” to GWS are now playing for other (mainly Victorian) clubs. 😉
Which those clubs paid fair trade value for, leading to GWS having more draft pick currency.
We bottomed out when GWS and GC were brought in to the competition, with compromised drafts, and a couple of years of the best 17 year olds being pulled out of the draft entirely.

Spent a decade outside the 8.

Every team cops a whack for “the good of the game”.

You’re hardly alone in what you’re going through.

How do think the clubs at the bottom when Tassie is brought in are going to feel.
And you were given more handouts to get you back up the ladder when you were s**t for years. Brisbane and Sydney are foundation clubs over 120 years old, they need to stop putting their hand out for gifts. At the moment, West Coast and Hawthorn are going it alone with just the standard draft picks and that get diluted. North and Gold Coast get bonus pick gifts for being bad at football.

Don't worry about us, we'll be fine and do it the hard way getting mid season draft picks that are worthy of being number 1 picks.

Not just post career.

There’s f’all commercial or sponsorship opportunities up here for players during their playing career.

No jobs for the missus or dad arranged by the club president or coteries. No cheap house and land packages available from a club sponsor.
Tell that to Tom Scully's dad.

Isn’t this just basic trading 101. We were in the exact same position losing Kosi and Brockman? It’s not something that exclusively disadvantages the Lions. I’m just saying if any player wants to come to a vic club, we quite often have 4 or 5 clubs to bid against
I wasn't thinking of the Lions. More thinking of GWS and GC.

I find it hard to believe a player sets out with 4 or 5 teams potentially in mind, if he's considering a move. Someone like Scrimshaw was only heading home to one club.

At most, there might genuinely be three clubs in such a race, most often two. However, in most cases it's probably a one horse race. When McStay left us for Collingwood, there weren't any other clubs in the race.

I don't have an issue with clubs losing players via free agency (except for compensation picks, those need to be scrapped), or in trade.

I did have a big issue when it was particularly Gold Coast, and to a lessor extent GWS, being raided year after year, and it was debilitating to those clubs chances to actually compete, then you had numpties calling into question the viability and existence of those clubs. If GC wasn't continually stripped of their good players, and allowed to mature organically, they would have been competitive now. (And probably not going to turn in to the juggernaut they will be in two seasons time).

His father didn’t play AFL, he grew up playing league in NSW before moving to Tassie.

Unlike the northern academies we could only draft indigenous kids, or kids from a non footballing background. We missed out on Sanders in last year’s draft because he was too good, going in the first round, something the Northern academies don’t need to worry about.

Why were the southern academies watered down btw? Was it because of sooking coming from up North after the dogs landed JUH?
No. It was the sooking of the other Vic clubs, and the AFL figuring out that if AFL is the one and only footy code in your state, and played in every school, then there's not really many kids not exposed to footy from a young age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which those clubs paid fair trade value for, leading to GWS having more draft pick currency.

And you were given more handouts to get you back up the ladder when you were s**t for years. Brisbane and Sydney are foundation clubs over 120 years old, they need to stop putting their hand out for gifts. At the moment, West Coast and Hawthorn are going it alone with just the standard draft picks and that get diluted. North and Gold Coast get bonus pick gifts for being bad at football.

Don't worry about us, we'll be fine and do it the hard way getting mid season draft picks that are worthy of being number 1 picks.
Give me a list of the handouts we received.

(I know what we received, I want to see your blushes when you realise it was one step up from SFA)

No. It was the sooking of the other Vic clubs, and the AFL figuring out that if AFL is the one and only footy code in your state, and played in every school, then there's not really many kids not exposed to footy from a young age.

So what’s the point of southern clubs having academies at all?

They kicked up a stink. Ask your own club why. Each Vic club was handed a slice of the NT as an academy zone (not North, they were handed Tassie). I'm sure you all built facilities up there, staffed them and do fantastic work with the local communities.

Community perception…..that clubs have some level of interest in developing players at lower levels.

Oh and that the northern academies are somehow the same as these local NGAs (which they aren’t). Victorian clubs have no desire or need to develop players from non-traditional backgrounds.

Whereas the AFL and QLD / NSW clubs have to foster talent and funnel it into AFL pathways due to the dominance of rugby as a code north of Canberra.

NGAs are simply window dressing to give the perception we are all equal.

Give me a list of the handouts we received.

(I know what we received, I want to see your blushes when you realise it was one step up from SFA)
Priority access to an Academy of players. - This includes
Jaspa Fletcher *Played in 2023 GF
Blake Coleman
Keidan Coleman *played in 2023 GF
Connor McFadyen
Connor Ballenden
Jacob Allison
Eric Hipwood *Played in 2023 GF
Ben Keays
Harris Andrews *Played in 2023 GF
Liam Dayson

End of first round Priority pick in 2016
Traded as part of 3way Hanley trade that bounced around alot but ended up at Sydney for Will Haywood.

Brisbane traded out Hanley and Priority P19 > Pick 22 (Cedric Cox) 2017 R1 Pick (Port Adelade P12).

In 2017 they traded Pick 12 to Adelaide for: Charlie Cameron* *Played in 2023 GF

Handouts still to come
Priority access to future academy players including FS selections from other clubs* players have choice but that choice should be FS or draft, not academy.

Priority access to an Academy of players. - This includes
Jaspa Fletcher *Played in 2023 GF
Blake Coleman
Keidan Coleman *played in 2023 GF
Connor McFadyen
Connor Ballenden
Jacob Allison
Eric Hipwood *Played in 2023 GF
Ben Keays
Harris Andrews *Played in 2023 GF
Liam Dayson

End of first round Priority pick in 2016
Traded as part of 3way Hanley trade that bounced around alot but ended up at Sydney for Will Haywood.

Brisbane traded out Hanley and Priority P19 > Pick 22 (Cedric Cox) 2017 R1 Pick (Port Adelade P12).

In 2017 they traded Pick 12 to Adelaide for: Charlie Cameron* *Played in 2023 GF

Handouts still to come
Priority access to future academy players including FS selections from other clubs* players have choice but that choice should be FS or draft, not academy.

The arguments with this Bris guy are tiresome and boring. He came in here basically trying to justify Cooper Hodges eligibility in the Lions academy and has ended up arguing over everything but (and the arguments have not been good).

Bottom line, academies are a good thing, but are becoming a bit of a pisstake

The arguments with this Bris guy are tiresome and boring. He came in here basically trying to justify Cooper Hodges eligibility in the Lions academy and has ended up arguing over everything but (and the arguments have not been good).

Bottom line, academies are a good thing, but are becoming a bit of a pisstake
I second this! Exactly, I feel he has warn out his welcome. This is not the Main board!

Hodges are Hawks FK off Lions!

Cooper is for the 2026 draft. I'm willing to make a bet you won't be close to making a GF then. Maybe, just maybe, squeaking in to the top 8.
With respect, why don’t you piss off?

Seriously, to come to this board and beat your chest about how the Lions have the right to pluck the son of a Hawthorn legend from a northern academy is the height of utter rudeness, but to then try to make some bet about the clubs fortunes… take a walk.

Don’t bother posting here again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back