Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

I would consider it unlikely in the extreme considering you can't even find a fixture list anywhere .

I saw a list on the GWS board earlier this week but I think it disappeared in the rollback. Three games out at BISP this weekend, and then spreading out all over the place. I'll see if I can find it again.

2018 U18 ACADEMY SERIES

Match Venue Date

Rd1 Gold Coast Suns vs Tasmania Blacktown International Sports Park Sat, Apr 14, 10am
Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions Blacktown International Sports Park Sat, Apr 14, 1:30pm
GWS Giants vs Northern Territory Blacktown International Sports Park Sat, Apr 14, 4pm

Rd2 Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants Blacktown International Sports Park Sat, Apr 21, 1pm TBC
Tasmania vs Northern Territory Shepley Oval, Dandenong Sun, Apr 22, 10am
Brisbane Lions vs Gold Coast Suns Southpine Sun, Apr 22, 9:30am

Rd3 Brisbane Lions vs Tasmania Broadbeach Sat, Apr 28, 10:30am
Gold Coast vs GWS Giants Broadbeach Sat, Apr 28, 1pm
Northern Territory vs Sydney Swans Alice Springs Sat, Apr 28, 5pm

Rd4 Tasmania vs Sydney Swans Glenorchy KG5 Sat, May 5, 10:30am
Brisbane Lions vs GWS Giants Burpengary Sun, May 6, 10:30am
Northern Territory vs Gold Coast Suns Burpengary Sun, May 6, 1pm

Rd5 Sydney Swans vs Gold Coast Suns Blacktown International Sports Park Sat, May 12, 10am
Tasmania vs GWS Giants Kingston Sat, May 12, 10:30am
Northern Territory vs Brisbane Lions TIO Stadium Sat, May 12, 6pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/game-development/nab-afl-rising-star-program/u18s

2018 U18 ACADEMY SERIES

Match Venue Date

Rd1 Gold Coast Suns vs Tasmania Blacktown International Sports Park Sat, Apr 14, 10am
Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions Blacktown International Sports Park Sat, Apr 14, 1:30pm
GWS Giants vs Northern Territory Blacktown International Sports Park Sat, Apr 14, 4pm

Rd2 Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants Blacktown International Sports Park Sat, Apr 21, 1pm TBC
Tasmania vs Northern Territory Shepley Oval, Dandenong Sun, Apr 22, 10am
Brisbane Lions vs Gold Coast Suns Southpine Sun, Apr 22, 9:30am

Rd3 Brisbane Lions vs Tasmania Broadbeach Sat, Apr 28, 10:30am
Gold Coast vs GWS Giants Broadbeach Sat, Apr 28, 1pm
Northern Territory vs Sydney Swans Alice Springs Sat, Apr 28, 5pm

Rd4 Tasmania vs Sydney Swans Glenorchy KG5 Sat, May 5, 10:30am
Brisbane Lions vs GWS Giants Burpengary Sun, May 6, 10:30am
Northern Territory vs Gold Coast Suns Burpengary Sun, May 6, 1pm

Rd5 Sydney Swans vs Gold Coast Suns Blacktown International Sports Park Sat, May 12, 10am
Tasmania vs GWS Giants Kingston Sat, May 12, 10:30am
Northern Territory vs Brisbane Lions TIO Stadium Sat, May 12, 6pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/game-development/nab-afl-rising-star-program/u18s

Great work

Darcy Marsh was our best in the academy flogging at the hands of the swans. We need to be offering Blakey the world!
Why didn’t any of our highly touted bottom age kids play?

Tassie play their top bottom age kids. I’m pretty sure both Tarryn Thomas and Chace Jones have played in the U18’s since they were 16.

Tassie play their top bottom age kids. I’m pretty sure both Tarryn Thomas and Chace Jones have played in the U18’s since they were 16.

We play our bottom agers at the national championships often. Allison was AA in his bottom-age year. Keays also.

The Academy Series is obviously being viewed differently this year. Tassie probably play the equivalent of their U18.

Last edited:

Who are these "highly touted" boys you're referring to?

Having watched most of the Brisbane-based 17 yo's in the Academy play on several occasions over the years, my view is that whilst it's always been a strong age group, in the sense that there's always been a deep pool of talented boys, there's not too many that appeal as actual draft prospects at the moment.

Tozer and a couple of others go pretty well, but the one local boy from this group whom I really rate as having AFL potential is Gracen Sproule, who plays midfield/half forward.

Gracen's not tall, but he's close to elite in just about every category with the possible exception of ambition. Good kid but on the quiet side, I know the Academy boys have high hopes for him.

Which underage kids as I’m hoping to watch the next game in Brisbane ?

Having watched most of the Brisbane-based 17 yo's in the Academy play on several occasions over the years, my view is that whilst it's always been a strong age group, in the sense that there's always been a deep pool of talented boys, there's not too many that appeal as actual draft prospects at the moment.

Tozer and a couple of others go pretty well, but the one local boy from this group whom I really rate as having AFL potential is Gracen Sproule, who plays midfield/half forward.

Gracen's not tall, but he's close to elite in just about every category with the possible exception of ambition. Good kid but on the quiet side, I know the Academy boys have high hopes for him.

Heard about Tom Wischnats & Kobe Tozer from last years U16 champs as being amongst QLD’s best and both up there amongst the comps leading goal kickers.

Others who have been spoken about on the draft board are midfielder Tom Griffiths, half forward Tom Jeffereys, and utility Mac Liessi.

We play our bottom agers at the national championships often. Allison was AA in his bottom-age year. Keays also.

The Academy Series is obviously being viewed differently this year. Tassie probably play the equivalent of their U18.

So why aren’t we playing them in Academy series, seeing as the two Sydney teams played some of their bottom age kids?

Bit hard to pick kids in the Allies team if they haven’t played in the Academy series.

Heard about Tom Wischnats & Kobe Tozer from last years U16 champs as being amongst QLD’s best and both up there amongst the comps leading goal kickers.

Others who have been spoken about on the draft board are midfielder Tom Griffiths, half forward Tom Jeffereys, and utility Mac Liessi.

So why aren’t we playing them in Academy series, seeing as the two Sydney teams played some of their bottom age kids?

Bit hard to pick kids in the Allies team if they haven’t played in the Academy series.

What I'm trying to tell you is that there's no conspiracy or plan to keep these boys in cotton wool - the fact is that, regardless of what you have read, most of this year's bottom-agers aren't up to it at the moment.

Anyway, Griffiths played for the Academy against the Swans, Tozer is playing QFA Div 1 for Aspley, Liessi doesn't seem to be playing footy this year and I assume that Jefferey will be playing Seniors or Colts for Morningside when the QAFL kicks off this weekend.

What I'm trying to tell you is that there's no conspiracy or plan to keep these boys in cotton wool - the fact is that, regardless of what you have read, most of this year's bottom-agers aren't up to it at the moment.

Anyway, Griffiths played for the Academy against the Swans, Tozer is playing QFA Div 1 for Aspley, Liessi doesn't seem to be playing footy this year and I assume that Jefferey will be playing Seniors or Colts for Morningside when the QAFL kicks off this weekend.
Never thought there was a conspiracy.

Don’t believe I implied that in any of my posts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could do what I do and read between the lines. Like Judge said the one conclusion that makes sense is they’re not up to standard of the rest of the boys just yet. Another would make sense is that we see more benefit in giving the U18 the best crack at it. In reality, the handful of boys that get chosen in the Allies squad are not going to be bottom-agers.

Agree with this. Strong group of players, but that doesn’t necessarily translate into potential AFL players. Still a bit of time to play out, but I’m not sure if we’ve got any elite prospects in this group.

We’re yet to produce an elite midfielder from the academy. Been a long while since a gun mid came out of Brisbane.

You could do what I do and read between the lines. Like Judge said the one conclusion that makes sense is they’re not up to standard of the rest of the boys just yet. Another would make sense is that we see more benefit in giving the U18 the best crack at it. In reality, the handful of boys that get chosen in the Allies squad are not going to be bottom-agers.
I try to take things at face value. To easy to draw the wrong conclusion reading between the lines.

I guessed they were giving the top agers the best crack at it. I don’t know the difference in quality between the top agers and bottom agers. Allison, Keays & Ballenden all played as bottom agers in the Allies.

The one I rate is Bruce Reville

Could the reason few u17s played be due to the interstate travel?

Brisbane Academy 7.1 9.5 10.10 12.11 (83)
Gold Coast Academy 0.0 5.3 7.4 11.5 (71)

GOALS

Brisbane Academy: Franks, McFadyen, Tomkinson 2, Pettigrove, Quint, Matthews, Jeffrey, Smith, Ansell
Gold Coast Academy: Smith 3, Scott 2, Portelli, Katsiris, Haua, Wingrove, Burke, Miles

BEST

Brisbane Academy: Quint, Tomkinson, Franks, Stackelberg, Matthews, Pettigrove
Gold Coast Academy: Portelli, Smith, Scott, Gore, Stone

Brisbane Academy 7.1 9.5 10.10 12.11 (83)
Gold Coast Academy 0.0 5.3 7.4 11.5 (71)

GOALS

Brisbane Academy: Franks, McFadyen, Tomkinson 2, Pettigrove, Quint, Matthews, Jeffrey, Smith, Ansell
Gold Coast Academy: Smith 3, Scott 2, Portelli, Katsiris, Haua, Wingrove, Burke, Miles

BEST

Brisbane Academy: Quint, Tomkinson, Franks, Stackelberg, Matthews, Pettigrove
Gold Coast Academy: Portelli, Smith, Scott, Gore, Stone

Academy gettting towelled 54 to 6 by tassie at half time, Matthews looks good though. The Lions have a 204cm ruckman called Samson, hope he makes it even on his name alone.

Tarryn Thomas was amongst Tassie's best in his U16 year.

Speaks volumes to the standard of kids coming out of Tassie recently.

That kid is unbelievable, saw him tucked in the forward pocket spot a free man at chf and do a banana flat pass straight to him. North Melbourne has got a bargain

so is the academy a bit weak this year ? with tassie ripping them a new one by almost a hundred points ! bit of a worry I would think

so is the academy a bit weak this year ? with tassie ripping them a new one by almost a hundred points ! bit of a worry I would think

I think it definitely is a weak year for the Academy U18's, there's never been great depth in this particular age group and some of the fancied boys are not delivering at this stage.

I've also heard that a thick black line has been ruled through quite a few names after the Tassie game, and deservedly so.

I think it definitely is a weak year for the Academy U18's, there's never been great depth in this particular age group and some of the fancied boys are not delivering at this stage.

I've also heard that a thick black line has been ruled through quite a few names after the Tassie game, and deservedly so.

Watching them carve up the giants atm, number 38 Marango born 2000 looks like he could be prospect. Anyone know more about him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back