Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

He was named full back in the team above. I'd never heard of him before.

Listed at 190.5cm and 90kg here

http://m.afl.com.au/news/game-development/nab-afl-rising-star-program/u18s/lions

Another likely KPP type

"Looking to the future, he would love to play for the Brisbane Lions and is currently in the Hyundai Help for Kids Brisbane Lions Academy. And while it may be a long stretch down the track, Marango is determined to succeed.

“I’d love to play for the Lions. At the moment the team is going through a rough time, but they’re getting better,” he said."

http://www.aflq.com.au/20091-2/

marango-840x450.jpg

Quote "From playing Auskick and club footy, to captaining the AFL Under 16 World Team, Toara Marango has had an eventful start to his football journey."

Put on some size since this photo.

Attachments

• READER PHOTOS_ The Sunshine Coast sporting life _ Fraser ___.jpg
    READER PHOTOS_ The Sunshine Coast sporting life _ Fraser ___.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 104

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which academy ever player North Melbourne bids on.

We have a couple of kids who could be late chances. We'll probably know better after the U18 champs.

Just bid our first pick on Tarryn thomas out of spite.

Genuinely interested where bids could potentially come in for our largely unheralded academy kids this year, or if we'll draft some in the rookie draft as Cat B rookies.

At previous drafts we have seen Allison and Ballenden bid on late, and the club actual draft one of our own in Payne. All had received much more hype than this years academy kids.

Only two over agers selected in the first U18 game for the Allies, one being Lions U19 Academy ruck Jack Tomlinson. I wonder if the Allies team selectors will focus on the 17 and 18 years, and overlook the majority of 19 year olds in the Allies squad.

They would be Cat A rookies.
Yeah, slip on my behalf. We wouldn't need to draft them in the rookie draft.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/rookie-players
ACADEMY PLAYERS – ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION

Like father-son players, under the previous AFL rules, Academy players were subject to a bidding system before the National Draft if they were nominated by an eligible club but could not be pre-selected by that club before the Rookie Draft.

Clubs with Academy programs – the Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Suns, Sydney Swans and GWS Giants – should have the chance to pre-select local talent from the pool of players in their Academy between the Pre-Season and Rookie Drafts if those players nominated for but were not selected at the most recent National or Pre-Season Drafts.

The amendment is designed to create incentives for Academy clubs to develop talent by providing opportunities for them to rookie list players for further development.

Only draft-eligible club Academy players who were nominated by their club at the designated time and played in the National Championships are eligible to be pre-selected as a Category B rookie.

Genuinely interested where bids could potentially come in for our largely unheralded academy kids this year, or if we'll draft some in the rookie draft as Cat B rookies.

At previous drafts we have seen Allison and Ballenden bid on late, and the club actual draft one of our own in Payne. All had received much more hype than this years academy kids.

Only two over agers selected in the first U18 game for the Allies, one being Lions U19 Academy ruck Jack Tomlinson. I wonder if the Allies team selectors will focus on the 17 and 18 years, and overlook the majority of 19 year olds in the Allies squad.

To add, I'm hoping we are keeping tabs on "academy to another AFL club to delisted" players as well. Declan Watson might end up here - did his ACL, hasn't played for North and may not get a chance in the near future with Durdin, Ben King waiting in the wings behind Thompson and Tarrant. Might be a good rookie option and have a developed body compared to a teenager. Wylie Buzza (contracted for 2019) might be another as Esava has gone past him along with Henry.

The club would be licking their lips over getting Fullarton to add to their 2019 list. I hope Coleman really blitzes the carnival, the kid is a serious footballer.

Couple who might turn out to be useful AFL standard players, but no top end talent to get excited about. Coleman has some nice attributes no doubt, his testing numbers will play a big factor in where he ends up ranked I think, in particular his aerobic capacity. I’m a McFayden fan and I like Stackelberg too but not sure he’s draftable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back