Analysis Accountability, excuses/reasons thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with Blighty cats is that everything according to you is bad....with the exception of Lloyd. Doesn't matter if it's the coaching, the recruitment in FA, the drafting or the administration. You shoot from the hip, and half the hit a bloke with his head down doing a good job.

Don't get me wrong I think the match committee ****** up royally with team selection against Sydney. Not covering up for that but we got to a Prelim Final and IMO had the cattle to potentially get further. It's not that bad a situation, only one team each year gets to win. I'll settle for questions being asked and fixes being implemented rather than head rolling. I think the club is moving in the right direction, and generally I thought the game plan was good last season with the team selection in that Prelim deplorable.

I don't get why we're bagging recruitment, the drafting or the administration. I don't even think we need a coaching change, we just need to recognise what we did wrong and make changes. Use a scalpel rather than Blighty's axe.

this.

Go Catters

I wouldn't just because, but I can understand a view of dropping Hawkins. We played very well without him last year.
Not something I would personally want but I still see the value in the view.

I don't think we could move Hawkins on, primarily because there's absolutely no replacement. If he had said Taylor, when we do have other capable key defenders already, that argument would have more merit.

Agree with you mostly. Even if we did put a lot effort into a woman's side fair chance we wouldn't of got one anyway. But it's still a fact we didn't. I'm not upset about it but I wouldn't ridicule someone just for stating a fact.
Same with the recruiting thing. I don't think it's great but I can see why it is what it is but it's still a fact.
I wouldn't just because, but I can understand a view of dropping Hawkins. We played very well without him last year.
Not something I would personally want but I still see the value in the view.
I love Cook but I don't mind anyone questioning him. It's just an opinion.its not like he'll leave because someone on here doesn't like him.
Dunno, I skip most of the Scott thread posts but it just seems like people just got sucked in a bit and started playing the man, so he started doing it back.
Now it's a s**t fight. I don't use it but there is an ignore option.

We did. As a one off.
Find another Geelong footballer with 100+ goals in 3 seasons just gone. Then that view has weight. For the record, Hawkins has 167.

By sheer weight of numbers comparative to everyone else on the list imo there's no credible argument to be made for permanently removing Hawkins.

I don't think we could move Hawkins on, primarily because there's absolutely no replacement. If he had said Taylor, when we do have other capable key defenders already, that argument would have more merit.
I agree. I know we'd never ever move him on anyway. It's just I could read a view like that, not agree with it but still understand it.

We did. As a one off.
Find another Geelong footballer with 100+ goals in 3 seasons just gone. Then that view has weight. For the record, Hawkins has 167.

By sheer weight of numbers comparative to everyone else on the list imo there's no credible argument to be made for permanently removing Hawkins.
Must of read me wrong. I said it wasn't something I'd want.

started playing the man
Yep, I had an initial post expressing my concerns over what I'd heard regarding the women's team only to have Daz fire back some irrational personal attack (despite the fact I didn't mention him at all in my initial post) then after that, one of the minions in his cavalry arrived with this beauty (completely out of the blue and unprovoked in any way).
Great post Daz. You've highlighted BC's super negative neatly. Can you just imagine what he must be like when he goes to a restaurant; complaining about the food, complaining about the table service, complaining about the music, complaining about the decor, complaining about the prices, complaining about the drinks menu yet all the while telling everyone within ear shot that this is his favourite place to eat.
From there I decided to fight back and it got personal. Regrettable set of circumstances really, it certainly would've been nice to just discuss the initial points I raised in a somewhat civil manner. I wonder if Daz or Sticksman signed the 'Clean Slate pledge?'

Don't know where all this stuff about our submission for the AFLW being sub-standard has come from. IIRC, it was mentioned ours was one of the better submissions presented, but the reason we weren't successful was that the AFL felt there wasn't enough talent in Geelong and surrounding areas to support a women's side being introduced this year. As it stands now, only 2 female players from the Geelong area are playing AFLW this year (Lily Mithen and Madeleine Boyd). With the introduction of the VFL women's team plus a Falcons squad being set up this year, we've already started to address this issue.

Is there any evidence regarding the big that the GFC put in for the womens team being inadequate other than Chinese whispers? The club started looking into it by commencing the partnership with AFL Barwon in late 2015 and the bid video is actually fairly reasonable. I'm not saying that the club deserved the license necessarily - probably the other bids had more of the back office logistics and support in place coupled with the natural bias shown towards big Melbourne clubs but I can't imagine any organisation that would invest three years (and counting) of work including employing a professional full time coach, developing a multi-year relationship and putting together a pitch video with clearly high production quality as a face saving box ticking exercise in insincerity.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...d/news-story/a6df15b455fe1ce05bc5dcda753fca7f
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2016-05-02/our-womens-team-bid

Don't know where all this stuff about our submission for the AFLW being sub-standard has come from. IIRC, it was mentioned ours was one of the better submissions presented, but the reason we weren't successful was that the AFL felt there wasn't enough talent in Geelong and surrounding areas to support a women's side being introduced this year. As it stands now, only 2 female players from the Geelong area are playing AFLW this year (Lily Mithen and Madeleine Boyd). With the introduction of the VFL women's team plus a Falcons squad being set up this year, we've already started to address this issue.
I remember half way through last year the amount of effort Carlton was putting in.
They even had a women's player working full time at the club and was also their ambassador for their bid.
I dunno what the other clubs did to get in but I know we didn't even do half as much as them at least.
Not really fussed however as i dunno if we would've got in anyway.

Must of read me wrong. I said it wasn't something I'd want.

I saw it. To back over it slightly, it's not the suggestion that annoys people, back in November I posted my first best 22 team and wanted it to be smaller and faster just like the North game where it was dynamic... it had Hawkins as the focal point.

No one has an issue with thinking outside the box, it's the scowl that accompanies if you rebut that thought process. Personally, just from this thread, I find the claim that Cook isn't being held accountable to be baseless and implies that the likes of Carter, Gartland and co are incompetent as board members in doing their jobs.

I saw it. To back over it slightly, it's not the suggestion that annoys people, back in November I posted my first best 22 team and wanted it to be smaller and faster just like the North game where it was dynamic... it had Hawkins as the focal point.

No one has an issue with thinking outside the box, it's the scowl that accompanies if you rebut that thought process. Personally, just from this thread, I find the claim that Cook isn't being held accountable to be baseless and implies that the likes of Carter, Gartland and co are incompetent as board members in doing their jobs.
I actually reckon I might remember that post and thought it was an alright idea.
I hope Cook stays forever and he saved our club. But I can deal with people questioning him if things don't look quite right from the outside. As long as their not stated as facts or anything if they aren't.

Hmmm...

My gut reaction to the HC not being involved in exit interviews of with players seems odd - meaning IMO he should be involved.

The flip side is that if Lloyd was tasked, as part of his gig, to take over that role and engage the players as the club's representative... then I could see that working too.

GO Catters
My views are solely based on reading that the players were surprised to not see Scott there... that to me says things were poorly communicated.

Communication has popped up a few times as something apparently NQR and this sort of further had me wondering

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Furthermore, if the size of said department was a directly correlative to on field success, then surely these BigFooty Dept teams would have been more successful last year. Pies, Hawks, WC..... all covered by us in terms of ladder position.

GO Catters

perhaps not last year but how about in 3-4-5 years time?

Considering the article talks about the local talent pool it's probable that our bid focused on the culture, practicality and logistics without meeting enough of the specifically football criteria.

The club acknowledged the error and has been working to improve on the problem by growing local pathways and developing a VFL side. It's fair enough to say that we could have done better but it doesn't seem like there's any proof for lack of intent outside of what you might like to infer.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back