'Acknowledgement of Country' in the workplace

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with the rest of what you say. My remark about "so what if they were first" is a subtle take I have that is bit hard for me to explain to be honest, but I think it's rooted in my loathing of things like inheritance and birth rights in general. I suppose it is an easier concept to sell if you think of a country where the original inhabiting "race" still holds most power - (I dunno, England? France?) - do the descendants of that tribe, hundreds of years later, deserve preference over say, African immigrants or ethnic groups who came say 800 years ago?
Forgot to mention that the issue with comparing to England is that England has done this to half the ******* world, you're not comparing apples to apples.

We currently have the exact same system as England here where white people have preference over everyone else. Look at all the go back to where you came from comments you see anytime someone who isn't white speaks up, or just plays sport the wrong way.

If you want to have treaty and reparations and land back you have to acknowledge that this land was invaded and the British stole it from the people who lived here.

If it continues to happen, and more and more so, people who dislike it will continue to do so. People who like it will continue to do so.

At days end, life goes on.

What this has shown as that certain sections of community who state people being offended by racism are snowflakes/stop complaining, are now using the same strategy - complain that what "they" are doing is racist against us.

Is it pointless and meaningless? Its a debate to be had/having. some say it is and $ should be invested into aboriginal communities to improve their lives (health etc). But then there are those who say stop using taxpayer funds - it's a waste of $.

A vexed issue.

We will all live.

Geez talk about different times but I distinctly remember an episode where Mike wanted to do a story on Aboriginal children and Prowsey's one word response was "Abos?"

There was one when Mike made a list of different cultural groups they wanted to do stories on. After the meeting Emma went to the list and they came up with the real story ideas "Abos?" "Drunks!" "Vietnamese?" "Gangs!" "Japanese?" "Triads!" "Chinese?" "Taking our kids uni places!"

It's satirical of course but I'm not sure that would fly today.

was it an acknowledgement or a welcome?

also why should they do it for free?
Is it a bit weird that a welcome to country is a service that can be paid for? Something that has it's origins so important to pre-European Indigenous society is just a number on a balance sheet.

Not begrudging them their cash, lever as much of it out of organisations/corporations as you can I reckon.

But then again there's the Catholic Church, sacraments are "free" but envelopes do switch hands. It does feel different but I don't know why.

Last edited:
Is it a bit weird that a welcome to country is a service that can be paid for? Something that was so important to pre-European Indigenous society is just a number on a balance sheet.

Not begrudging anyone their cash, leaver as much of it out of organisations/corporations as you can I reckon.

The last one I went to was a corporate annual prize giving. The Aboriginal elder didn't bother rocking up and sent his young niece instead. She said was 1/8 Aboriginal by birth but proudly a member of the Wurundjeri nation. She pretty much slagged off the main corporate sponsor for 10 minutes then said the ritual blah blah. I believe the cost was $880 plus expenses. Nice little earner.

Is it a bit weird that a welcome to country is a service that can be paid for? Something that has it's origins so important to pre-European Indigenous society is just a number on a balance sheet.

Not begrudging them their cash, lever as much of it out of organisations/corporations as you can I reckon.

But then again there's the Catholic Church, sacraments are "free" but envelopes do switch hands. It does feel different but I don't know why.
Bit weird that people think they should he able to arrange a Welcome to Country whenever they want really.

Last edited:
The last one I went to was a corporate annual prize giving. The Aboriginal elder didn't bother rocking up and sent his young niece instead. She said was 1/8 Aboriginal by birth but proudly a member of the Wurundjeri nation. She pretty much slagged off the main corporate sponsor for 10 minutes then said the ritual blah blah. I believe the cost was $880 plus expenses. Nice little earner.
Surely you're either indigenous or you're not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it should play on the hour, every hour, on every media device/medium in the country for all eternity.
Or people could take the time to learn the history of their own country. Thankfully schools are very proactive about this.

Or people could take the time to learn the history of their own country. Thankfully schools are very proactive about this.

Rene Hidding came to my high school and told us Australia was the only country founded without violence

Surely you're either indigenous or you're not?

If you can trace your roots to a person who was here before the Europeans then you can make that claim. But why does is it matter if you have 1/8 indigenous or 1/4 Indian ancestry? Why should we be making separate legal or even constitutional arrangements for these two groups?

Rene Hidding came to my high school and told us Australia was the only country founded without violence

Different times…

I guess it’s pleasing how quickly we evolved. I’m not even 40, but I was in primary school learning white history about “Aborigines dying out”, the fallacy of Terra Nullius, and “non-violent settlement.”

Which in Tasmania is particularly bonkers when you consider it’s colonisation. We literally learned nothing about Indigenous history apart from “Truganini being Australia’s last full-blooded Aborigine” (she was from what is now Tasmania.)

Look at that quote. Pretty much every word of it is wrong.

On acknowledgement of country, I’ve worked in unions, I’ve worked in public relations. So I’ve given a lot of them. They take 15 seconds, and they continually evolve and improve to become more and more meaningful.

I think when you consider people as young as mid-30s learned no black history at all, they’re very important in “grounding” or “centring” people that didn’t grow up with ingrained respect for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people. It’s why they don’t get old. It’s why anyone disagreeing with this 15 seconds is a jerk.

It goes to the land council, not the individual.

And you counting someone’s Aboriginality when they identify as Indigenous makes you an enormous campaigner. Its 2022 for *s sake.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I do. Its divisive and racist in its own right. I was born here, 3rd generation whose family helped build the country, like so many others. Absolutely * being made to feel like a guest in your home and its a disgrace this has become the norm tbh

Every country was invaded at some point. The grudge held here is akin to the world still hating the Germans, only that doesnt happen . Bit pointless trying to hold people accountable for stuff that happened decades before their birth.

You must fall down a lot.

It goes to the land council, not the individual.

At over $3,000 an hour it's still a nice grift regardless of who gets paid.

And you counting someone’s Aboriginality when they identify as Indigenous makes you an enormous campaigner. Its 2022 for *s sake.

Merely identifying as indigenous doesn't make you Aboriginal. You have to show some evidence of bloodline. This is demanded by all indigenous groups and established in Australian law. In any other context this would be called out as blatant racist policy reminiscent of Nazi Germany or Apartheid South Africa.

Merely identifying as indigenous doesn't make you Aboriginal. You have to show some evidence of bloodline. This is demanded by all indigenous groups and established in Australian law.
I don't think that is the case.

I think Malifice had the skinny on the prerequisites.

There's descent, identification, acceptance by the group etc.

My ancestors arrived here a couple of hundred years ago. Apparently I have some indigenous ancestor somewhere down the line. I've never looked into it or identified with it, and I doubt I would be accepted by the community.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back