'Acknowledgement of Country' in the workplace

Remove this Banner Ad

I work with a number of indigenous people and one is an elder of the land we work on. We discussed this very topic and agree that an 'Acknowledgement to Country/Welcome to Country' isn't needed every meeting/day.

Instead, it would be more impactful to have at significant events and gatherings. This could be functions, big corporate gatherings with interstate visitors..

This website is very interesting and worth a read - Putting An Acknowledgement Of Country On Your Website

Preface: I’m a privileged white person so I’m not in a position to advise anyone on reconciliation. But I want to help you if you’re thinking about putting an acknowledgement of country on your website. So, I’m sharing my research and approach in the aim of giving you ideas for how you can show respect.

As a privileged, non-Indigenous person, I’m aware that I’m not the best person to write this blog. I’m not the authority on the subject. I’m writing this to share the research I conducted while putting together my own statement. As a website copywriter, I get clients asking for my advice. So I want to share my methodology. Plus, I’ve included links to authorities who are in a better position to give you advice. It is my wish that you find this information helpful and respectful.

Before every Zoom meeting?

It is amazing how some bigger entities can piss productivity, time and money away like that. The suits in these organisations probably complain about a lack of these three elements too.

Before every Zoom meeting?

It is amazing how some bigger entities can piss productivity, time and money away like that. The suits in these organisations probably complain about a lack of these three elements too.
How long does it take? 30 seconds?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first part of Advance Australia Fair takes about 40 seconds to play. If we are going to have some short, symbolic ritual before meetings isn't the National Anthem of the country more representative to all?

The first part of Advance Australia Fair takes about 40 seconds to play. If we are going to have some short, symbolic ritual before meetings isn't the National Anthem of the country more representative to all?
not even the same discussion now

As someone above said it's just tokenism at its finest. The majority including myself couldn't care less and just chuckle about it in selected small circles.

At my job we deal with Coles a lot and everyone as it as part of their automatic signature as well as their pronouns.

The problem is if anyone objects they would be branded a bigot.

Can anyone confirm whether indigenous people actually get anything from this or is it all to tick a few boxes in HR?

As someone above said it's just tokenism at its finest. The majority including myself couldn't care less and just chuckle about it in selected small circles.

At my job we deal with Coles a lot and everyone as it as part of their automatic signature as well as their pronouns.

The problem is if anyone objects they would be branded a bigot.

Can anyone confirm whether indigenous people actually get anything from this or is it all to tick a few boxes in HR?

i think thats how it should be reacted to or dealt with, if one isnt here or there.

people now say it, and in addition the flying of the aboriginal and TSI flags are divisive.....adding more that they want us to be united and the way to do it is to fly one flag (AUS).....and say it in a way that is caring by showing concern towards the aboriginals. but it seems insincere as the crux of the matter is to take away the two flags.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back