Current ACT Legalises Personal Marijuana Use - Tells Christian Porter to bugger off

shellyg

Spec Moderator
Dec 27, 2016
No Surrender
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The new laws come into effect January 31, 2020. Well done ACT! Many who smoke/use marijuana and derivatives for medicinal purposes which is really expensive to buy I believe, can now grow their own.

So what is allowed, and what isn't?

Any adult in the ACT will be able to grow two cannabis plants per person, with a maximum of four per household.

They will also be allowed to be in possession of up to 50 grams of dry cannabis, or 150 grams of wet cannabis.

Cultivating cannabis through a Canberra winter will not be easy though, as any Canberra gardener can attest.

Amendments suggested by the Greens to allow the cultivation of hydroponic cannabis were voted down, along with amendments providing greater allowances to those growing cannabis for medicinal purposes.

There also remain plenty of rules around when and where cannabis can be consumed.

It cannot be consumed in public, or anywhere near children, and will also have to be stored somewhere inaccessible to children.

Cannabis plants will have to be grown somewhere not accessible to the public.

Enter Christian Porter, who has the power to strike the laws out.

The ACT Government has sent the Commonwealth a strongly worded defence of its cannabis legislation, warning against any attempt to overrule the contentious law and "will of the people".

The ACT Government sent two letters about the laws to the Commonwealth yesterday. The first, from ACT Attorney-General Gordon Ramsay, warned Mr Porter against any challenge to the legislation.

"The Act has been passed by the ACT Legislative Assembly as a self-governing body with the authority to make laws for people of the ACT," Mr Ramsay wrote.

"I reiterate my previous advice that this legislation expresses the will of the ACT people and convey my deep concern should the Commonwealth seek in any way to overrule and intervene in the democratic processes of the ACT."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sprockets

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
The new laws come into effect January 31, 2020. Well done ACT! Many who smoke/use marijuana for medicinal purposes which is really expensive to buy I believe can now grow their own.

So what is allowed, and what isn't?

Any adult in the ACT will be able to grow two cannabis plants per person, with a maximum of four per household.

They will also be allowed to be in possession of up to 50 grams of dry cannabis, or 150 grams of wet cannabis.

Cultivating cannabis through a Canberra winter will not be easy though, as any Canberra gardener can attest.

Amendments suggested by the Greens to allow the cultivation of hydroponic cannabis were voted down, along with amendments providing greater allowances to those growing cannabis for medicinal purposes.

There also remain plenty of rules around when and where cannabis can be consumed.

It cannot be consumed in public, or anywhere near children, and will also have to be stored somewhere inaccessible to children.

Cannabis plants will have to be grown somewhere not accessible to the public.

Enter Christian Porter, who has the power to strike the laws out.

The ACT Government has sent the Commonwealth a strongly worded defence of its cannabis legislation, warning against any attempt to overrule the contentious law and "will of the people".

The ACT Government sent two letters about the laws to the Commonwealth yesterday. The first, from ACT Attorney-General Gordon Ramsay, warned Mr Porter against any challenge to the legislation.

"The Act has been passed by the ACT Legislative Assembly as a self-governing body with the authority to make laws for people of the ACT," Mr Ramsay wrote.

"I reiterate my previous advice that this legislation expresses the will of the ACT people and convey my deep concern should the Commonwealth seek in any way to overrule and intervene in the democratic processes of the ACT."

So the ACT Government believes it's exempt from Federal laws? And the Greens want people to be able to grow it hydroponically, meaning bigger plants? No surprises there.

Now, who controls the dosage and who should and shouldn't be using it for medical purposes?

""It is the Government's view however that the outright prohibition of cannabis is of limited, and often negative, effect when seeking to reduce the harms caused by cannabis use."

Mr Barr made it clear the ACT Government neither condoned nor encouraged cannabis use, and did not expect its use to increase once it was legalised next year.

He said research from Europe indicated no relationship between changing penalties for cannabis possession and the drug's use.

"The health risks you have outlined, and which the Government is aware of, already exist for the 8.4 per cent of Canberrans that have reported using cannabis in the previous 12 months," he wrote.

"The change will assist cannabis users to reduce or stop their use of the drug by reducing stigma and the risk of punishment associated with criminal penalties for possession."

What a crock.

shellyg

Spec Moderator
Dec 27, 2016
No Surrender
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The judge said this woman's supply of cannabis oil helped her customers, her property was raided in 2017 she was charged and pled guilty to possession and manufacture.

He said it was clear Hallam had been making the oil at a financial loss, adding that there was no evidence any harm had been caused to any recipient of the cannabis oil and that the evidence was "strongly to the contrary".

PoppedCorn

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 29, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
West Ham 76ers
Saw her at the last hemp show and grabbed some fliers
Wife knows someone who had a tumor completely clear up from pure oil.
Was not far off going in to smash it with radiation and tried oil.

I'm all for it
It does help some people

shellyg

Spec Moderator
Dec 27, 2016
No Surrender
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Saw her at the last hemp show and grabbed some fliers
Wife knows someone who had a tumor completely clear up from pure oil.
Was not far off going in to smash it with radiation and tried oil.

I'm all for it
It does help some people
An old crush injury gives a friend hell with pain. He's anti smoke but has just ordered some of the oil for his legs.

I was on a lot of high end pills which I hated after a similar injury. The pills the doctors kept pushing on me were disgusting, sent me into a hole. Threw them out and started to have a smoke every now then before bed, started to improve straight away. I still have crappy days if I push too hard but running which they said I wouldn't do again. Go figure.

Top Bottom