3) Lewis Stevenson
4) Jay Nash
5) Aaron Shattock
6) Ben Eckermann
7) Glenn Dawson
8) Adam Cockshell
9) Ryan Willits
10) Elijah Ware
I am upset and angry that you've included John Butcher in this list and I'm going to punish you by not liking the next 5 posts of yours that I'd otherwise have liked.

I am upset and angry that you've included John Butcher in this list and I'm going to punish you by not liking the next 5 posts of yours that I'd otherwise have liked.

You are assuming i'm being facetious.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Compare Burgoyne to Rockliff, or Travis Boak and he is easily better IMO.

I fundamentally disagree.

When Shaun Burgoyne had the chance to be what Boak has been over the past 7 years, he spent most of his time unwilling to work his way through a tag, and then forced a trade somewhere he could play 10th banana bruise free footy off the half backline.

If Travis Boak had forced a trade to Hawthorn in 2009 instead of Burgoyne, he'd be alongside Hodge and Mitchell in their holy midfield triumvirate and a unanimous first ballot Hall of Famer.

This thread should be called All time Port Adelaide Top 17 players that would have made John Butcher the god that we know he is.

This thread should be called All time Port Adelaide Top 17 players that would have made John Butcher the god that we know he is.

Easy - Jessie Laurie and Tom Rischbieth

And if we can address the elephant in the room, Salim Hassan was clearly MVP of the post-siren 2004 premiership celebrations.

Work a chunk and clear the mechanism, T-Chap.

0 x B&F
0 x AA
0 x Other individual awards and medals

Technically-gifted and played in quite a few games, sure.

The only difference between the career honour rolls of Shaun Burgoyne and, say, Grant Birchall, is one Showdown medal, which Birchall obviously never had an opportunity to compete for. 4 premierships, 1 AA, 0 B&F, 0 other individual honours. If a Hawks fan ever said that Grant Birchall was in their top 10 of all time, they'd end up committed. And he has one more premiership and AA at the Hawks than Shaun does.

Last edited:

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
The only difference between the career honour rolls of Shaun Burgoyne and, say, Grant Birchall, is one Showdown medal, which Birchall obviously never had an opportunity to compete for. 4 premierships, 1 AA, 0 B&F, 0 other individual honours. If a Hawks fan ever said that Grant Birchall was in their top 10 of all time, they'd end up committed. And he has one more premiership at the Hawks than Shaun does.

There's also this myth that Hawthorn made Shaun Burgoyne and his career prior to joining them is mostly forgotten.

He was a better player at Port up until the point where he decided that being a genuinely elite player was all too hard.

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don’t think it’s fair to write junior burger off as lazy. You don’t play that many games by being lazy, he also had a knee injury that we all thought would be career ending 10 years ago.

Sure, he looked like he could’ve been Judd like but instead he became a role player who stepped up in certain clutch moments.

I think you people are right that Boak might end up having had the better career, but I just think Shaun is a lot better than it’s been made out. The longevity is a huge deal IMO. Even Boomer Harvey and Fletcher weren’t particularly amazing in individual games, but playing as long as they did is an incredible feat and deserves recognition.

I don’t think it’s fair to write junior burger off as lazy. You don’t play that many games by being lazy, he also had a knee injury that we all thought would be career ending 10 years ago.

Sure, he looked like he could’ve been Judd like but instead he became a role player who stepped up in certain clutch moments.

I think you people are right that Boak might end up having had the better career, but I just think Shaun is a lot better than it’s been made out. The longevity is a huge deal IMO. Even Boomer Harvey and Fletcher weren’t particularly amazing in individual games, but playing as long as they did is an incredible feat and deserves recognition.

No one doubts he can play.

But the second coming he ain’t.

And a bit harsh on Harvey who tore us a new one on more occasions than I care to remember

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Couldn't separate some to not make the the top 10, so I did a Top 15 (to acknowledge our 150th birthday next year):

1. Russell Ebert
2. Warren Tredrea
3. Bob Quinn *
4. Greg Phillips
5. John Cahill
6. Gavin Wanganeen
7. Robbie Gray
8. Harold Oliver *
9. Scott Hodges
10. Craig Bradley
11. Tim Evans
12. John Abley *
13. Geof Motley
14. Martin Leslie
15. Chad Cornes.

* denotes that I never saw them play - just selected them on the basis of deeds and reputation.

Apologies to the following, who never quite played enough games of footy for Port, but went on to be great players nonetheless:

Bob Hank
Hadyn Bunton Snr
Nathan Buckley
Andrew McLeod
Corey Enright.

And to these guys who just missed out (many of them real larrikins, whom we loved as well):

Travis Boak
P & S Burgoyne
Tim Ginever
Bruce Light
Batman and Robin
Bomber Clifford
Summo
Fos
Fritzy Freeman
Bucky
Bubbles & Pickets Obst
Kane Cornes
Choppy
Roger James
Ted Whelan
Chicken Hayes

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
There is a massive underrating of Matthew Primus here. The greatest ruckman ever to play for Port. Russell Johnston was named ruck in our Greatest Ever team (1870-2000) and I watched both his entire career as well as Primus’.

Johnston was never the best ruck in the SANFL. Primus was so dominant in the AFL they changed the rules to help combat him. He was a natural leader who was only ever beaten by two things- 1. The AFL Rules Committee and 2. Injuries.

He has to be in the top 10.

Back