Ad Free Grand Final

LadyPants

Cancelled
Jun 14, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Would it take the Grand Final being on Fox Sports to have ad free coverage? Unlike the Super Bowl for NFL, the ads during the Grand Final are just the same boring crap as everyday. When will we have complete ad free Grand Finals?

PortBrillance

Trump Donor - 16' 20' 24'
Jul 9, 2009
TRUMP WON 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal, Adelaide City
EPL is different to a cup final, the FA Cup is shown on free to air in England.

Your comparison is flawed

PortBrillance

Jul 9, 2009
TRUMP WON 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal, Adelaide City
Not at all. If the EPL had a grand final, it wouldn't be on free to air.

FA cup is a whole other competition.

The FA Cup is their cup (grand) final. Clearly you know nothing about english football so don't even share your opinions on it.

Not at all. If the EPL had a grand final, it wouldn't be on free to air.

FA cup is a whole other competition.

Is there any reason you're comparing our broadcasting to the UK's?

Their rules have been far more lax in terms of broadcasting sport, and I suspect their's are going to become more stringent.

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Is there any reason you're comparing our broadcasting to the UK's?

Their rules have been far more lax in terms of broadcasting sport, and I suspect their's are going to become more stringent.

Because eventually money wins out and as Foxtel gets stronger, you can bet News Corp will pour on the pressure more than they're doing now and no amount of belief that "we're Aussies, it'll never happen here.

And for the pompous Port Power arse upthread, I understand that they're two different competitions. I was comparing EPL which is more the equivalent of AFL in relation to how they sit within their respective societies.

Eventually, Foxtel will outbid the others to such an extent that the AFL can't resist and you can't tell me that News Corp will show all the games except the Grand Final. Yeah, because a Federal Government is really going to stand up to both News Corp and the AFL.

Because eventually money wins out and as Foxtel gets stronger, you can bet News Corp will pour on the pressure more than they're doing now and no amount of belief that "we're Aussies, it'll never happen here.

And for the pompous Port Power arse upthread, I understand that they're two different competitions. I was comparing EPL which is more the equivalent of AFL in relation to how they sit within their respective societies.

Eventually, Foxtel will outbid the others to such an extent that the AFL can't resist and you can't tell me that News Corp will show all the games except the Grand Final. Yeah, because a Federal Government is really going to stand up to both News Corp and the AFL.

How many more assumptions do you want to make?

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Well, you tell me, what's been the pattern with sports on TV broadcasting for the past 20 years all over the world, towards free access for all or towards pay per view?

PortBrillance

Jul 9, 2009
TRUMP WON 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal, Adelaide City
It's called English Football, just like its Australian Football and American Football. Yet all are different sports

seysearles

Supreme Leader
Oct 5, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's all about the money $$$.

It wouldn't bother me if the ads were half-decent though.

Australian TV and particularly radio advertising is truly cringe worthy. In no other developed country would you see or hear on national broadcasters owners of businesses spruiking their product dressed as chickens or have to listen to such painfully low brow jingles being repeated over and over again in hammed up comic voices. I really find it hard to listen to commercial channels for this reason.

Australian advertising = utterly utterly utterly sh!t.

InCase

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast

No it wouldn't. England has a list of protected sporting events that can not be shown solely live on pay tv.

Fifa World Cup finals are on this list. FA cup finals. And quite a few more.

If pay tv can't win out on the world cup, they wouldn't get a grand final..

Australia would do the same. If they haven't already.

I'm not 100% sure if this is true, but from memory that "go daddy" ad that kept appearing actually debuted at the superbowl earlier this year. :p

Any government that even considered dropping the anti-siphoning agreement would be out on their ass pretty quick.

Back