Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Freo get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP by La Dispute:

OOC at the end of the year, and likely to generate a lot of interest from Vic-based clubs.

What's he worth? One top 5 pick?

I can see a club like Hawthorn offering him a decent deal, and they'll have the collateral to get a trade done.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Doubt he'd want to go to a (likely) bottom 4 team when he could probably have his pick of any of the Vic teams.

I'm thinking any rebuilding club is going to have a hell of a lot cap room, and won't necessarily be cellar dwellers for long.

North have a very decent list going forward (IMO), and Hawthorn still have the Clarko factor plus a handful of decent young players to build around.

Cerra is the kind of player you can chuck a decent contract at, and he'll end up holding up his end of the bargain as he transitions into a genuine star of the competition.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
If he forces a trade a top 3 pick and a player.
But his not going anywhere only the clubs that are further back then the anchors could afford the capital required.
Would he really jump off a rising anchor back on a sinking ship??

How does that work if the club he nominates doesn't have a Top 3 pick? Given he's OOC there's not a whole heap Freo can do if he wants to head to St Kilda. They'd maybe swap some later picks and that'd be it.

There's also no way Cerra is worth a Top 3 pick AND a player, and no guarantee Freo rise up the ladder with their current forwardline.

He might cop taking 1 step back (ladderwise) to move 2 steps forward (more money, and back home).

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
How does that work if the club he nominates doesn't have a Top 3 pick? Given he's OOC there's not a whole heap Freo can do if he wants to head to St Kilda. They'd maybe swap some later picks and that'd be it.

There's also no way Cerra is worth a Top 3 pick AND a player, and no guarantee Freo rise up the ladder with their current forwardline.

He might cop taking 1 step back (ladderwise) to move 2 steps forward (more money, and back home).
Isn’t it funny how people totally change their narrative/argument when talking about opposition players as opposed to their own.
If I used your quotes but changed Cez name to Cripps you’d shoot down all 3 points quick as a flash.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Isn’t it funny how people totally change their narrative/argument when talking about opposition players as opposed to their own.

Why do you think Cerra is worth a Top 3 pick AND a player? Do you remember the last time an OOC player went for that much?

As good as he is Freo have their hands tied if Cerra nominates a club without a Top 3 pick, and if he wants to go to a club closer to premiership success those are his likely suitors.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
If I used your quotes but changed Cez name to Cripps you’d shoot down all 3 points quick as a flash.

Well firstly Cerra isn't currently as good as Cripps, and may never be.

Secondly Cripps is an FA and goes through a slightly different process. If for example we finish in the bottom 5 we might choose not to match, but if we did and Freo only had Pick 10 and a future first we'd have to accept it.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why do you think Cerra is worth a Top 3 pick AND a player? Do you remember the last time an OOC player went for that much?

As good as he is Freo have their hands tied if Cerra nominates a club without a Top 3 pick, and if he wants to go to a club closer to premiership success those are his likely suitors.
I’ve been reading to many blues post in Cripps thread( 5 first rders, 2xtop 10 picks and cerra)
If Cripps wants to go home and freo don’t have the picks we will finish below blues by your rating of us and we will pick him up in preseason draft for nothing.
Same as cerra we finish below saints we still have the hand.
No cerra isn’t Cripps but I find the only way to get any point across with a blues supporter is reference their own players otherwise it all goes over your head.

Last edited:
This thread should be fun over next few months...

If he wanted out his value will depend a lot on how he goes this year. Massive breakout year and we’d rightfully demand a kings randsom for a 22 year old star with nearly 100 games already under the belt.

If he has a breakout year though and wants to leave then I might cry myself to sleep for a while.

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
Right on the money Ronnie.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
If he was a GWS player what would be the expected draft pick be for him ?

#10-#15

OOC thats what he is worth no chance a top 5 pick
He was a pick 5 and his looking everbit of his pick so far.
After 2 years of tough love from RTB on the half back line his first year in the midfield he was 3rd in the bnf as a 20yr old(turned 21 in October)
GWS players were looking for game time and wanted to go to rebuilding teams who had picks in the Preseason draft before gws.
Gws players that were midfield starters got 2 first rders.
Cerra is starting midfield if he wants to go to a better team freo will have a pick before them.
If he wants to go to a btm 4 team to line his pockets we may not get what his worth.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lol, as if Freo would risk trying to redraft him in the PSD, if they have a pick in the 5-10 range there (most likely).

What an absurd suggestion!
Where’s the risk it would be a threat it wouldn’t get to that.
I’m just talking about leverage in a trade deal with teams above us that don’t have the required trade capital.
Oppo supporters all think we are not a finals team yet so the teams below us should have good draft capital.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Where’s the risk it would be a threat it wouldn’t get to that.
I’m just talking about leverage in a trade deal with teams above us that don’t have the required trade capital.
Oppo supporters all think we are not a finals team yet so the teams below us should have good draft capital.

The threat would be redundant because you'd likely have all of Essendon, Hawthorn and North before you in the PSD who'd happily take on Cerra for free, and if Cerra's primary motive is being back home he wont be too fussed where he ends up.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
The threat would be redundant because you'd likely have all of Essendon, Hawthorn and North before you in the PSD who'd happily take on Cerra for free, and if Cerra's primary motive is being back home he wont be too fussed where he ends up.
And if you read what I posted earlier that’s what I said if he wants to go to a cellar dweller we have to take what we can get not what his worth.
But if hawks want him and north have first pick and want him hawks would happily give their first pick.
Sorry I’m not all over tech so sometimes hard to articulate through the touch of a thumb.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
And if you read what I posted earlier that’s what I said if he wants to go to a cellar dweller we have to take what we can get not what his worth

You were talking about leverage, but there's absolutely nothing to leverage out of the PSD because Freo aren't just going to lose one of their young gun guns for nothing.

Once a player nominates a club they deal exclusively with that club and try to wrangle as much as they can.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
That is absolutely true. All 3 Vic clubs wouldn't complain one bit getting a player like Adam Cerra for free

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
That is absolutely true. All 3 Vic clubs wouldn't complain one bit getting a player like Adam Cerra for free

And equally if you're Cerra at that point in time you chuck 800k per year on your head and wait for North to pick you up.

It'd never come to that, but unfortunately Freo can't use the threat of the PSD in their trade negotiations if/when Cerra did decide to leave.

Back