Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Freo get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe he thinks Carlton has stifled his development and if he had been drafted to Fremantle he'd still be worth pick 3 and a 4 year $700000 contract.

Yeah doubt it. Freo is a basket case and he has 9 other clubs in Victoria to choose from.

WA are pricks with the border as well so getting to see his family and friends would be an issue.

From an independent POV I don’t think you overpaid for either of them, it usually takes a year for players to completely fit in.

Williams is not the midfielder he was imagined to be, he is a half back flanker.
Both players will improve this year if Voss is worth his salt.
He is on A grade midfielder coin, if he is never going to be 1 then of course we over payed.

Suspect this deal is going to go down to the wire. Not necessarily because it will be overly complex just a bit of posturing and typical afl / fox prime time bullshit.

All I’m looking forward to is the slow incremental increased traffic from North supporters on this thread as we inch closer to deadline day increasingly excited about getting Cerra for free in the pre season draft before the trade gets done at the death. Like every year.

This is a list of the players that were taken using pick 8 since 2000. No point discussing pick 6 as it is pick 8. This is why it is not a 50/50 chance of getting someone better and hence why he is worth more than pick 6 (pick 8) only.

Feel free to debate the categories, but it clearly isn't 50/50

Players That You Would Take Over Cerra
Jimmy Bartel
Dyson Heppell

Players That Are 50/50 Too Early To Tell
Caleb Serong
Tarryn Thomas
Nik Cox
Nick Coffield

Players With Some Sort of Argument
Daniel Motlop
Ben Reid
Lachie Henderson

Players That you definitely Wouldn't Take Ahead of Him
Luke Brennan
Raphael Clarke
John Meeson
Jarrad Oakley Nicholls
Ty Vickery
John Butcher
Billy Longer
Sam mayes
Luke McDonald
Peter Wright
Callum Ah Chee
Griffin Logue

2000North MelbourneDaniel Motlop130 (47)20821AA40: 2008
2001GeelongJimmy Bartel305202116AA: 2007, 2008; Brownlow: 2007; Norm Smith: 2011; AA40: 2009; Prem: 2007, 2009, 2011
2002HawthornLuke Brennan28 (19)120
2003St KildaRaphael Clarke8590
2004AdelaideJohn Meesen6 (2)00
2005RichmondJarrad Oakley-Nicholls1310
2006CollingwoodBen Reid152739AA: 2011; Prem: 2010
2007BrisbaneLachie Henderson206 (15)11717
2008RichmondTy Vickery125 (119)1608
2009Port AdelaideJohn Butcher31411
2010EssendonDyson Heppell1916271AA: 2014; Rising Star: 2011; B&F: 2014; AFLCA Young: 2012; AFLPA 1st: 2011
2011BrisbaneBilly Longer66 (9)40
2012BrisbaneSam Mayes118 (101)325
2013FSNorth MelbourneLuke McDonald137162B&F: 2020
2014Gold CoastPeter Wright87 (66)1148
2015Gold CoastCallum Ah Chee84 (45)340
2016FremantleGriffin Logue4410
2017St KildaNick Coffield5220
2018North MelbourneTarryn Thomas47435
2019FremantleCaleb Serong36106Rising Star: 2020; AFLCA Young: 2021; AFLPA 1st: 2020
2020EssendonNik Cox
Every year this argument gets trotted out, it's no lock for the F/S's to be bidded on before pick 6 especially when they have had limited exposure and its largely irrelevant when you and west coast are the only ones to have seen the WA talent all year and the pick still falls before their 1st pick be it 6, 7 or 8.

Suspect this deal is going to go down to the wire. Not necessarily because it will be overly complex just a bit of posturing and typical afl / fox prime time bullshit.

All I’m looking forward to is the slow incremental increased traffic from North supporters on this thread as we inch closer to deadline day increasingly excited about getting Cerra for free in the pre season draft before the trade gets done at the death. Like every year.
Im already here.
LOL

After hearing sos on trade radio, you freo fans are very lucky he is no longer our list manager. He said pick 6 or we grab him in the draft.

Our current list manager seems much more lenient, I'd suspect he will agree to pick 6 and probably either our 2nd round pick or whatever we get for sps from west coast.

If we do somehow manage to get pick 30-40ish from west coast, would that pick and pick 6 not be sufficient enough?
You mean the same guy that traded pick 13 for McGovern on a 5 year deal, the same guy that selected SPS with 6 and Lachie O’Brien at 10, Paddy Dow at 3. The one that kept on picking up GWS rejects year after year?

We’d be stoked if he was still lost boss. He’s all huff and puff now his reputation isn’t at stake.

Every year this argument gets trotted out, it's no lock for the F/S's to be bidded on before pick 6 especially when they have had limited exposure and its largely irrelevant when you and west coast are the only ones to have seen the WA talent all year and the pick still falls before their 1st pick be it 6, 7 or 8.
You're kidding. Like, actually, joking here, right?

Every single club would have seen every possible draftee's games. All of them. It isn't the 90's anymore. WAFL clubs provide vision for any clubs that didn't get to see the game live. Same with SANFL clubs.

Yep. There are only really two big ticket trades this year with this and Dawson.
And let's be honest, neither is 'big ticket' in the same way as Jeremy Cameron and Adam Treloar last year. They're more in the Saad/Williams boat.

Remove the F/s From it then and look at the history of pick 6's. A clear argument for your "You are going to be 50/50 to get someone better than Cerra"... if this was the case why not take your draft pick and use it to pick someone 50/50 better?

Now in saying that, we might end up with someone better, but more than likely we won't.

LOL at the argument that it is irrelevant due to west coast having a later pick... its isn't the AFLW draft, players can be selected from anywhere they want.

This thread is all over the place. Is the general accepted value for Cerra 6 and a 2022 2nd, or something like 6 and 25 with a future 3rd or 4th going back. I'm so lost as to what everyone values Cerra at.

This thread is all over the place. Is the general accepted value for Cerra 6 and a 2022 2nd, or something like 6 and 25 with a future 3rd or 4th going back. I'm so lost as to what everyone values Cerra at.
According to Sam Edmund (who is a Blues supporter and said this on Trade Radio today) it’ll be Cerra & a R3 or R4 pick for 6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo have given 4 years for cerra to hone his skills to be a bonafide a grade player.they took him pick 5, his nearly played every game since he was drafted.

Freo need to make a stand like the power did with Nick Stevens, if they just allow pick 6, any Vic will think after 4-5 years, I'll head back now, I'll choose where and Freo will just take it.

They need to be asking overs, I'd be asking 6 and dow. Dows ready for mid minutes and ready to step up.

Cats need to keep Clark, no scarlo coaching there now and play him off half back all next year.
Cerra was open to joining several clubs the vast majority just don't have the salary cap space or want to hold their draft picks.

I'm a little surprised Essendon aren't having a go but I can see why they'd rather survey the field than get burnt going hard at another midfielder, that would be a luxury. Same with Hawthorn I guess, no point accelerating a midfield before your new coach has set a path for the list.

Melbourne clearly had a try. but can't get anywhere. Tigers thought about it but I can see the thinking behind clearing cap space and bringing in picks. Coll don't have any picks. St Kilda probably don't have any cap space. North are loaded with mids. Dogs don't have cap space either.

It's Carlton or bust and at least the start of a deal is seemingly on the table with pick 6.

I understand your point on Clark but is Chris Scott not the senior coach? Doesn't he overrule Scarlo and tell him to stick with the kid? Seems optimistic to believe an assistant gone will suddenly fix things. Wells is usually just as good with pick 25 as pick 15. If there's something in the range of his worth it's not worth the Cats saying no.

Remove the F/s From it then and look at the history of pick 6's. A clear argument for your "You are going to be 50/50 to get someone better than Cerra"... if this was the case why not take your draft pick and use it to pick someone 50/50 better?

Now in saying that, we might end up with someone better, but more than likely we won't.

LOL at the argument that it is irrelevant due to west coast having a later pick... its isn't the AFLW draft, players can be selected from anywhere they want.
I am happy to go to the draft and pick whoever, Cerra isn't a make or break for me

You mean the same guy that traded pick 13 for McGovern on a 5 year deal, the same guy that selected SPS with 6 and Lachie O’Brien at 10, Paddy Dow at 3. The one that kept on picking up GWS rejects year after year?

We’d be stoked if he was still lost boss. He’s all huff and puff now his reputation isn’t at stake.
You left out Harry, Curnow, SOS, Cunningham, Weitering and Walsh. Why?

You left out Harry, Curnow, SOS, Cunningham, Weitering and Walsh. Why?
I like how you've hidden the two average players in the middle there around your quality.

And let's be honest, neither is 'big ticket' in the same way as Jeremy Cameron and Adam Treloar last year. They're more in the Saad/Williams boat.

Cerra will end up better than Williams/Saad

Cerra and Hewitt will take mid minutes away, he's from country Vic, so he's not likely to get homesick and you get a player slightly behind cerra in development and pick 6.

By the way Clark is also a first round pick contracted player, Geelong need to keep, unless it's pick 15, we aren't trading, he'll improve under Kelly's tutorledge at Geelong this year

He's from Victoria, why would he choose to go WA when he is in a side that is screaming out for midfield class / depth? Especially if as you say he is ready to take a step up.

Secondly, why would Carlton let him go? Especially if as you say he will be good.

It makes no sense.

Suspect this deal is going to go down to the wire.

This trade really should go down on day 1. Cerra wants Carlton, Carlton wants Cerra, Carlton have pick 6 which is the key trade asset. It's not like Hawthorn and Richmond have shown interest and Carlton only have pick 17 or something.

Freo have been linked to Clark, Lobb has been rumoured to want to leave, Carlton have been linked to Hewett etc.

I would like to think the two clubs can just get it done early and move on to other business but history says they won't and it will drag on and end up being one of the pick 6 + something trades mooted on here weeks ago.

Cerra and Hewitt will take mid minutes away, he's from country Vic, so he's not likely to get homesick and you get a player slightly behind cerra in development and pick 6.

By the way Clark is also a first round pick contracted player, Geelong need to keep, unless it's pick 15, we aren't trading, he'll improve under Kelly's tutorledge at Geelong this year

I would say Dow is significantly behind Cerra in development. And he is zero chance of leaving, especially not to Freo.

Geelong should 100% hold onto Clark. His value is rock bottom at the moment and whatever compensation you get for him this year is not going to help Geelong immediately.

I'm not sold that he will improve either.

Back