Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Freo get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hogwild

Team Captain
Oct 10, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
You think I have any control over who my club targets or what they trade for them? Cerra isn't what our midfield was most in need of and it still has a glaring hole with him in it.

Once he was coming for sure it was a pretty simple equation for me, don't give up 6+25 to bring him in and.after paying pick 8 for Saad I was concerned we would.

So happy you ask? Content perhaps with the trade itself, happy every Freo fan who posted in here was wrong about the trade value.
"You will take pick 6 only and you will like it"
Skull Face

Kings of Lygon

All Australian
Aug 31, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Serong moved from Gippsland to Geelong grammar as 16 year old to board. I think the go home factor isn’t as strong as the Melbourne kids who get pampered there whole junior life.

It is a noticeable difference I must agree.

Being from the country, I found it very strange to move to Melbourne, meet people and play football here (in the amateurs) from this perspective - but I think it only or at least mostly relates to private school folk. Even older men still regularly refer to themselves by where they went to school in Melbourne, which I think is rather strange and are more likely to stay in the suburb(s) they grew up in - literally and from a social and class point of view.

If you're from the country and playing good/elite sport - it's just accepted that you will travel. You want to play rep basketball? Travel. Want to be a good tennis player? You're travelling. We were always sitting on buses to play sport. It's not uncommon for elite sporting kids families to uproot and move in some cases, just for the opportunities that may not be available to them.

Hell, in some cases just to play any sport you will probably travel unless you're in a major regional city like Ballarat, Bendigo etc. The nearest town to play footy against for some people I knew growing up was half an hour and other teams in the league you were driving an hour plus. It's a mentality thing and I think it's probably well documented, when it comes to AFL and drafting country kids.

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
It is a noticeable difference I must agree.

Being from the country, I found it very strange to move to Melbourne, meet people and play football here (in the amateurs) from this perspective - but I think it only or at least mostly relates to private school folk. Even older men still regularly refer to themselves by where they went to school in Melbourne, which I think is rather strange and are more likely to stay in the suburb(s) they grew up in - literally and from a social and class point of view.

If you're from the country and playing good/elite sport - it's just accepted that you will travel. You want to play rep basketball? Travel. Want to be a good tennis player? You're travelling. We were always sitting on buses to play sport. It's not uncommon for elite sporting kids families to uproot and move in some cases, just for the opportunities that may not be available to them.

Hell, in some cases just to play any sport you will probably travel unless you're in a major regional city like Ballarat, Bendigo etc. The nearest town to play footy against for some people I knew growing up was half an hour and other teams in the league you were driving an hour plus. It's a mentality thing and I think it's probably well documented, when it comes to AFL and drafting country kids.
The sort of people who put "Year 10 Student Councillor"on their resumes when applying for jobs at age 40.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
the key word was Cerra was out of contract. That is the key situation.

Had cerra been still contracted, Freo would of asked for a couple of 1st rounders or a 1st rounder and 1 or 2 second rounders
In the end you guys still had a very good trade period. Fyfe/Mundy/Serong are all better than Cerra anyway, so really you haven't lost a top 3 mid but get to keep a very strong draft hand.

The GC trade was a steal.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
In the end you guys still had a very good trade period. Fyfe/Mundy/Serong are all better than Cerra anyway, so really you haven't lost a top 3 mid but get to keep a very strong draft hand.

The GC trade was a steal.

well I posted on the Carlton board on how gutted I was that he is going.

Carlton has a bloke that can play bot inside and outside mid. got him on his 22nd birthday too. So enjoy 10-13 years or 200-250 games out of him

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
What a fabulous first hit out for the Baggers yesterday. Exceeded my already high expectations of him.

Way to early to say this but he could well be the best player we picked up from another club since Judd (and I love Sam Docherty lot btw)

I do feel like we got him for a bargain/unders. I honestly feel like we are at least a 2 goal better team with Cerra in it.

Really hope the player Freo got with our first round pick ends up to be a gun too

Aug 21, 2009
The Superego’s Palace
AFL Club
Carlton
What a fabulous first hit out for the Baggers yesterday. Exceeded my already high expectations of him.

Way to early to say this but he could well be the best player we picked up from another club since Judd (and I love Sam Docherty lot btw)

I do feel like we got him for a bargain/unders. I honestly feel like we are at least a 2 goal better team with Cerra in it.

Really hope the player Freo got with our first round pick ends up to be a gun too
Ummmmm, fair kick in the guts for Daniel Gorringe.

People really don’t really appreciate the difference his kicking makes and how it takes years for even the best kicks to hit their stride. Cerra may never even win a b&f or come close to winning a best in comp award but he’s the perfect complimentary piece to a midfield. That’s a lot harder to find than bulk contested ball winning tanks.

And, you got him at like 22 with all the risk gone. It’s a player lost I’m going to be salty about forever unless Amiss proves to be a gun

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks

Great pick - he is quality but if your 2022 expectations was he plays well in a scratch match in Feb then you maybe need to set the bar higher. ie top 3 in the B&F etc.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Great pick - he is quality but if your 2022 expectations was he plays well in a scratch match in Feb then you maybe need to set the bar higher. ie top 3 in the B&F etc.

Yeah I am impressed and delighted he performed we in a practice match, especially when several of our other good players like Cripps etc looked Rusty. He clearly has a strong work ethic

Call me naive, but I reckon it bodes well for his performance in the home and away season.

We paid overs for Saad, but I honestly believe even at this way too early/premature stage that we got a bargain in Cerra.

He adds much needed class and finishing skills to our talented but mostly workman like midfield.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
People really don’t really appreciate the difference his kicking makes and how it takes years for even the best kicks to hit their stride. Cerra may never even win a b&f or come close to winning a best in comp award but he’s the perfect complimentary piece to a midfield. That’s a lot harder to find than bulk contested ball winning tanks.

And, you got him at like 22 with all the risk gone. It’s a player lost I’m going to be salty about forever unless Amiss proves to be a gun

I am fairly confident he will win a B and F or two at Carlton plus other honours down the track.

As I say, I do feel bad for Freo, you put all the hard yards in drafting and developing him, which is a credit to your football dept.

I hope and believe Serong is a Freo player for life, he is a ripper of a player, that lad !

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
This is a perfect example of Lachie Neale. Ready made A grader with a mature body. I’d give up three first rounders. But hey, Cerra wanted to go home. Absolute steal for a measly pick 6 and junk

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Cripps looked up to a big season if those around him can carry their share of the load.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's such a strange set of circumstances that led a premium young prospect to come back to Victoria and instead of the usual bidding war there was so little interest.

Melb - had a genuine crack but limited by the cap and limited assets to offer.
Coll and WB committed to father sons. Pies keen on a rebuild and Dogs surely under cap pressure with the comps deepest midfield.
Saints probably capped out, especially with midfielders.
Geel - maybe both parties not interested? Cap? Need to draft?

North - already compiling a deep midfield as is and were willing to be patient.
Hawks and Ess - possibly burned by going in hard on mature mids before? Hawks going youth, Ess saving draft assets, perhaps for a bigger fish.
Richmond - the logical suitor but perhaps thought they had enough short term midfield talent for their remaining window and keen to draft for long term upside.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
It's such a strange set of circumstances that led a premium young prospect to come back to Victoria and instead of the usual bidding war there was so little interest.

Coll and WB committed to father sons. Pies keen on a rebuild and Dogs surely under cap pressure with the comps deepest midfield.

Hawks and Ess - possibly burned by going in hard on mature mids before? Hawks going youth, Ess saving draft assets, perhaps for a bigger fish.
Richmond - the logical suitor but perhaps thought they had enough short term midfield talent for their remaining window and keen to draft for long term upside.
That’s the thing that worked for Carlton. Had no choice but to satisfy Cerra. Was hoping for any ounce of bidding. Didn’t come .
Genuinely thought Geelong would come given Kelly leaving as well as old midfield plus all their first round picks. Cerra being the mummy’s boy he is, probably opted against it given its not quite Melbourne

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal

I think I remember Cerra's camp saying Carlton being one of the few clubs who could give up a fair deal was a factor as well.

Back