Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Freo get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course. Trade period gets framed sometimes as the start of negotiations but really clubs have weighed the likely cost of a player ahead of time and then are just haggling over the exact deals.

If he was available for a 3rd rounder every Vic club would've had a nibble, but this year the cap was so tight that it ruled out a lot of clubs automatically. Then even though a 22 year old makes perfect sense for almost every club they all found ways to not be that keen.

I think it's more than defensible from every club. There's no one I can identify and say they really should've put a good pick on the table and gone after him. Although Hawthorn, Rich and Ess are probably the 3 who I'd say had good cases to get involved.

I don’t see how Essendon could have put together a trade package that trumped Carlton’s without putting two firsts on the table which Dodoro is very against doing.

I don’t see how Essendon could have put together a trade package that trumped Carlton’s without putting two firsts on the table which Dodoro is very against doing.
If Cerra nominated Essendon, then Carlton wouldn't be making offers for a player with no interest in joining them. Therefore Carlton's pick 8 would never have been on the table. Essendon could've offered pick 13 and a future 2nd and told Freo that's the best it's going to be. No different to Adelaide with Jordan Dawson. The deal might've been able to be combined for picks 8, 9 or 11.

Essendon might've done the calculations that Freo just weren't going to accept that and decided not to get involved. Or that the prolonged drawn out negotiations might've led Cerra's camp to look else where. But overall it sounds like Cerra chose Carlton with not a lot of other interest aside from the Demons have a late throw at the stumps with little to get it done, which, as I said, given the tight salary caps around the league and other priorities for a lot of sides made plenty of sense.

Time will tell but so far this year’s 1st round draft crop looks very strong. With less games played and exposed form over the last few years it also means top talent slipped. Cerra is a good player don’t get me wrong but I’d be keeping my 1st and use my 2nd as a chance on a slider that was rating highly before covid. I get 2 good kids and save $400k on my cap. I do not get the sentiment here that the Cerra decision is a no brainer. I’m more than happy with Richmond’s approach.

If Cerra nominated Essendon, then Carlton wouldn't be making offers for a player with no interest in joining them. Therefore Carlton's pick 8 would never have been on the table. Essendon could've offered pick 13 and a future 2nd and told Freo that's the best it's going to be. No different to Adelaide with Jordan Dawson. The deal might've been able to be combined for picks 8, 9 or 11.

Essendon might've done the calculations that Freo just weren't going to accept that and decided not to get involved. Or that the prolonged drawn out negotiations might've led Cerra's camp to look else where. But overall it sounds like Cerra chose Carlton with not a lot of other interest aside from the Demons have a late throw at the stumps with little to get it done, which, as I said, given the tight salary caps around the league and other priorities for a lot of sides made plenty of sense.

I don't know why Essendon were not more keen on Cerra, a contested ball winner with elite kicking skills could have possibly pushed them into top 4 contention.

Sensational Debut for the Baggers tonight, and dare I say it, aside from Cripps,the one who brought Carlton back into the game and swung the momentum in our favour.

He is a gem.
sad day GIF

I give it 3 weeks before Blues fans in this thread take a turn and realise they got him for a steal

I give it 8 weeks before they say he never would have been as good at Freo and that Carlton made him into a gun
Could copy and paste this the day Neale left for Brisbane..
Its depressing, because Cerra was already doing this, under the radar. Yet he goes to an old traditional VFL club, suddenly he’s a gem

Thought Adam Cerra was gonna be a star when watching his 3rd year. Just oozed classed. Fremantle defintely got the rough end of the stick.

Brayshaw/Cerra/Serong would of carried the Freo midfield for the next decade. Brayshaw the hard running 2-way player link player. Serong the tough in an under shovel. Cerra the inside-out class.

I be punching the air right now as a Freo Supporter.

Time will tell but so far this year’s 1st round draft crop looks very strong. With less games played and exposed form over the last few years it also means top talent slipped. Cerra is a good player don’t get me wrong but I’d be keeping my 1st and use my 2nd as a chance on a slider that was rating highly before covid. I get 2 good kids and save $400k on my cap. I do not get the sentiment here that the Cerra decision is a no brainer. I’m more than happy with Richmond’s approach.
You surely can't be serious. You also don't address the issue with your aging midfield with 2 young kids unless you're rebuilding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So this years first round draft crop looks very strong on March 10 before anyone has played a game? Cerra is silky smooth. You sure that you are still happy with Richmonds approach?

Maybe tacklers should learn to roll the tackle correctly to avoid this 🤷‍♂️
I saw Cerra dive forward several times when he played for us, he did it 3 times that I
saw last night.

I think it is a tactic that he uses, it’s his momentum that pulls the tackler forward.

I’m sure there is a strong correlation between Carlton posters who ran the line of, pfft, not worth a first round pick, late second, take it or pre-season draft who are now saying they always knew he’d be a gun, man we really owned Freo getting him for pick 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As i said in here numerous times only Harry Mckay would have been fair value in a trade for Cerra

Back