Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Freo get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

So a pick 5 with 4 years under his belt, has lived up to and is now starting to exceed expectation (disposal is now elite level) is somehow not worth more than he started off as?
22 years old and ready to slot right in to Richmond's starting 18...If you were talking disposal Cerra is the silk you want
Jason castagna is in our best 18 that means * all. Good player but not worth as much as you think

This is insane...

I'm guessing you are joking?

Exaggerating a little perhaps.

But Bolton is worth a lot more than Cerra, so any trade of the two would need to include considerable picks (etc) coming from Freo to even it up.

A pick around 5 seems about right for Cerra.

That's where he was drafted and has lived up to his expectation. Looks like an AA quality mid in the making.

Richmond won't have a pick around there unless they trade up.

Their 2 firsts with a 2nd coming back seems about right to me.

If Bolton did decide to go to Freo than their values aren't that far apart. Cerra and an early 2nd for Bolton sounds close.

Last edited:

Exaggerating a little perhaps.

But Bolton is worth a lot more than Cerra, so any trade of the two would need to include considerable picks (etc) coming from Freo to even it up.
I didn't believe they are that far apart. Cerra has been in the system a year less. He looks like an AA quality mid.

The picks would have to favour Richmond but nothing close to what you are suggesting.

A pick around 5 seems about right for Cerra.

That's where he was drafted and has lived up to his expectation. Looks like an AA quality mid in the making.

Richmond won't have a pick around there unless they trade up.

Their 2 firsts with a 2nd coming back seems about right to me.

If Bolton did decide to go to Freo than their values aren't that far apart. Cerra and an early 2nd for Bolton sounds close.

2 first and a second for Cerra?

I'd answer, but you've already said what I want to say...

This is insane...

I'm guessing you are joking?

Are you guys kidding?

2x Late Firsts doesnt equite to a Top 5 Pick lols! Freo would not be giving a second back. If anything it may cost a little more from Richmond. Say the picks are 17 and 18? What then should Richmond have to offer as well?

Are you guys kidding?

2x Late Firsts doesnt equite to a Top 5 Pick lols! Freo would not be giving a second back. If anything it may cost a little more from Richmond. Say the picks are 17 and 18? What then should Richmond have to offer as well?
No, not kidding

It really depends where they all end up on the ladder.

I was factoring in the picks to end up where they are right now.

If Richmond and Geelong play off in a Grand Final then things change obviously but right now where the ladder sits it's a fair deal.

But we have been average to this point. Wasn't the question how would he go in an average team?

Hes thrived every time he's had to step up with the regular absence of cotchin and prestia (and no dusty v dogs)
Ok no worries whatever yes you have been an average team over the last 4-5 years. So you are telling me EVEN though you are in the 8 by a bit that you are an average team off the field as well? Average team doesn’t just mean results it’s a whole organisation thing.

For a case in point, have a look at Des Headland (former no1 draft pick) who came a tie for 4th in the Brownlow (Black was 1st, Voss tied 3rd) then went from a Premiership side to an "Average" side in Freo and wasnt the same player as he went to the top of the pecking order.

Last edited:
Ok no worries whatever yes you have been an average team over the last 4-5 years. So you are telling me EVEN though you are in the 8 by a bit that you are an average team off the field as well? Average team doesn’t just mean results it’s a whole organisation thing.

For a case in point, have a look at Des Headland (former no1 draft pick) who came a tie for 4th in the Brownlow (Black was 1st, Voss tied 3rd) then went from a Premiership side to an "Average" side in Freo and wasnt the same player as he went to the top of the pecking order.
Lucky Bolton isn't leaving then ;)

Plenty of very good players have left great clubs for average ones and still kept up performances. Far, far more than have gone backwards aka done a Headland.

You're currently looking at what, pick 8?

Cerra+8 for Bolton....you'd probably need to sweeten that deal a bit (assuming Bolton genuinely wanted to go and requested the trade).
If we say that Cerra alone is worth pick 13 & 16 or thereabouts. Most neutrals would think that is reasonable.
You are effectively saying that Bolton is worth Pick 8, Pick 13 & pick 16.

Seriously WTF? 😂😂😂

A 20 year old Wayne Carey would not worth that much let alone Shai Bolton!

I'm sure that I heard recently that Freo had offered Cerra a 4 year deal at decent money. It was turned down as he only wants 2 years to get to free agency. So would it be better to give him the 2 yrs and hope he stays or get what you can now?

I'm sure that I heard recently that Freo had offered Cerra a 4 year deal at decent money. It was turned down as he only wants 2 years to get to free agency. So would it be better to give him the 2 yrs and hope he stays or get what you can now?
2 years doesnt get him to free agency. Warning bells that he doesn't want to sign a lucrative 4 year deal to stay though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you guys kidding?

2 firsts with a second back is what Treloar and Shiel cost. That is the maximum you'll get, it will likely be less.

Yep and they both had Cerra covered at the same age. Shiel was under contract too.
The two firsts wouldn't be as high as either of those deals though.

The Treloar deal involved two top 10 picks

Shiel was at least one from memory.

Shiel was contracted but the Giants wanted him out due to the cap.

So seems like a fair deal at the moment if the picks land the way they are now.

The two firsts wouldn't be as high as either of those deals though.

The Treloar deal involved two top 10 picks

Shiel was at least one from memory.

Shiel was contracted but the Giants wanted him out due to the cap.

So seems like a fair deal at the moment if the picks land the way they are now.
Yeah not quite as high but he's not quite as good as they were when traded.

I reckon it'd be our first and the saints 2nd that we are holding. Or a future first involved but I reckon we'd want to take at least 1 first round pick to the draft.

Out of contract and wants to get back to family home.

If he was contracted then it would require a top 2 pick for freo to even consider it if he wanted to get home.

Unfortunately Fremantle dont have the leverage. We all know that.

Im a huge fan of his i think at best freo get the equivalent of pick 5-6 in return. I think hes worth a top 10 pick. 6-10 mark.

Pick 16+17 from say a Richmond would just about be on the money. I couldnt see much more being offered. Peter Bell would have to decide whether to let him go for nothing or take a deal like that ultimately. Feel Freo will have to blink first in negotiations

The problem is North, Hawks and Pies are all bottom 3 and would have first look in PSD and wouldnt think twice. North have huge cap room aswell.

He did tell the club he wasnt keen to go there before being drafted. Freo have got a good 4 years out of him and maybe more

Yeah not quite as high but he's not quite as good as they were when traded.

I reckon it'd be our first and the saints 2nd that we are holding. Or a future first involved but I reckon we'd want to take at least 1 first round pick to the draft.
Currently picks 11 and 25

Probably similar the other deal mentioned, seems fair to me.

I think it would actually value him higher if you look at draft points, but you'd expect Richmond to improve their position.

Think most are on or about the money with what he'd worth (with some exceptions) but pick values get lost in the explanation.

For example, a lot of neutrals are saying pick 5-10 (quite frankly, he is worth what we drafted him with every day of the week given his kicking is ridiculous) is what he's worth and that therefore Richmond's two firsts should be enough. On historical trades, there is AT LEAST (its often more) a 20% points surcharge to get higher in the draft, for example;

Pick 5 is worth 1878 points, you would there needfore at least 2,253 in points to get there, that's the equivalent of pick 12 and 17. I'll eat a hat if Richmond's two firsts end up being as good as 12 and 17.

If he chooses Richmond, I'm positive it will be at least their two firsts this year and two picks in the late teens wont cut it

Think most are on or about the money with what he'd worth (with some exceptions) but pick values get lost in the explanation.

For example, a lot of neutrals are saying pick 5-10 (quite frankly, he is worth what we drafted him with every day of the week given his kicking is ridiculous) is what he's worth and that therefore Richmond's two firsts should be enough. On historical trades, there is AT LEAST (its often more) a 20% points surcharge to get higher in the draft, for example;

Pick 5 is worth 1878 points, you would there needfore at least 2,253 in points to get there, that's the equivalent of pick 12 and 17. I'll eat a hat if Richmond's two firsts end up being as good as 12 and 17.

If he chooses Richmond, I'm positive it will be at least their two firsts this year and two picks in the late teens wont cut it

What are you expecting...them to trade to get an earlier pick? Which trade would you use as a template. Kelly. Treloar. Shiel ?

What are you expecting...them to trade to get an earlier pick? Which trade would you use as a template. Kelly. Treloar. Shiel ?
Treloar should be the template, if you want to take off 10% for performance, though I'd argue 1 Cerra kick is worth a lot more than a Treloar kick. Both would have been traded at the same age, after being a high draft pick and performing well. The others arent really applicable due to the age gap, and the fact Cerra is only 21 is a massive factor in his value.

I've said elsewhere I wouldnt be surprised if Bell said a top 10 pick is non-negotiable so he might say go get us a top 10 pick and we'll go from there.

I seem to be the Docker supporter willing to accept the least, and my minimum is a pick between 6-10 and a sweetener (6 is very different to 10) depending on where that top 10 pick lands. I think Twomey has said similar, if that makes a difference.

Treloar should be the template, if you want to take off 10% for performance, though I'd argue 1 Cerra kick is worth a lot more than a Treloar kick. Both would have been traded at the same age, after being a high draft pick and performing well. The others arent really applicable due to the age gap, and the fact Cerra is only 21 is a massive factor in his value.

I've said elsewhere I wouldnt be surprised if Bell said a top 10 pick is non-negotiable so he might say go get us a top 10 pick and we'll go from there.

I seem to be the Docker supporter willing to accept the least, and my minimum is a pick between 6-10 and a sweetener (6 is very different to 10) depending on where that top 10 pick lands. I think Twomey has said similar, if that makes a difference.

I understand 6 to 10... as geelong has not had a pick in single figures for 14 years, I doubt it will change this year.

If you can get "whoever" to do it, great... all I'll say is its easier said than done, it depends on how valued those early picks are, how good is the draft. We wanted a top pick with kelly as well.. what happens in the end , well that will be up to trade pressures.... but if Rich (for eg) offer their 2 R1's ... do you see Freo risking a no trade situation.?

Treloars disposal efficiency was higher than cerras is this season with roughly the same amount of kicks. Less clangers and more disposals too.

Treloars disposal efficiency was higher than cerras is this season with roughly the same amount of kicks. Less clangers and more disposals too.
Eh, I’m sure you rate disposal efficiency as much as I do (not at all), no one was saying Treloar was a good kick back then. Cerra’s kicks open up the game, he’s a much better kick then Treloar.

Back