Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Freo get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious question for Freo fans, where does Cerra rank right now in your midfield group?

Fyfe
Mundy
Brayshaw
Serong

I would suggest he's your 5th best mid?

There isnt another club in the comp that would expect 2 x 1st rounders for their 5th best mid. Keep in mind, hes the 5th best mid in a middle of the table club.
Remove Mundy cause hes old and having an insane season. He would rank 3rd

I dont think richmond has ended their era yet. Got injuries right now and can do damage next season in finals.
Agree. I did not say it's over but pretty close. One more year possibly. Some players getting old, tired, hunger is not as it was, injuries struck. They had amazing run.

Agree. I did not say it's over but pretty close. One more year possibly. Some players getting old, tired, hunger is not as it was, injuries struck. They had amazing run.

even when Martin and Cotchin decline and eventually retire, I still see them making elim finals and winning the occasional one as well. But yeah they had a good run

Geelong did ok in the Kelly trade.
Of course Freo have choices.

also, still hasn’t committed either way. Sam Edmond is guessing as much as anyone else
Kelly was desperate to get to the eagles and the eagles only. Eagles were desperate to have him. A trade had to get done. That's why they got bent over by the cats on the trade table.
clubs aint in the business of reeming each other. What comes around goes around
Mostly yeah. 'a top 5 pick plus another pick in the late teens' is a reaming....by Freo.
I’d agree if he was a free agent, but he isn’t. Everyone would love a great talent on a free but it just doesn’t happen.
They can demand a silly asking price all they like but if it's not within reason they will lose him for nothing if it's true that he is desperate to get home to Vic.
The difference between Tim Kelly and Cerra is that Tim Kelly couldnt get to a WA club in any other way than a trade. PSD wasn't in question.

The bottom 3 sides currently are all victorian.

Its highly unlikely to come to PSD and i dont think it will.

But anything around pick 5-6 is very fair value

Kelly essentially went for pick 1-2 in the end
This.
I rather Cerra goes to the tigers. at least richmond has picks to trade. The have WA players besides shai bolton as well.
I don't think any of the WA boys will leave but yeah if he nominates us and we're keen you can guarantee we'll come to an amicable agreement. You're not dealing with SOS or Dodo here.

He's ahead of Serong, there also arent many midfields going around that have 3 kids 21 yo or under running through it as first choice players. That's what the cost is from, the age

Yeah your age and quality of mids is envious thats for sure and whilst Cerra's ages adds value, it doesnt add an additional first rounder.

I don't think any of the WA boys will leave but yeah if he nominates us and we're keen you can guarantee we'll come to an amicable agreement. You're not dealing with SOS or Dodo here.

Sounds about right.....

Historiacally in the last 10-15 years, if they want a player in or gone, they usually get a fair deal done.

Clubs dont act in bad faith like that. Especially with someone of a Cerra calibre
Gold Coast and GWS took whoever they wanted when they were established. Sydney screwed over Adelaide and Hawthorn for Tippett and Buddy. Geelong threw in some real estate to pry Smith away. Adelaide dodged GWS like Scotty from Marketing has dodged the media so they could walk in Hately for nothing.

Clubs act in their own best interests all the time. Dodo has made a career and reputation out of it.

I'd love for Hawthorn to have the balls and say from day one of the trade period, that we won't be engaging in trade talks with Fremantle regarding Adam Cerra because he has agreed to join us via the PSD. It's a lever available to clubs at the bottom of the ladder to help them rebuild and it should be used more frequently to be honest.

Haha, like we've discussed, depends on where those first rounders are.

Yeah I mentioned a few pages back, our 1st rounder will be top 10 now and thats pretty close to a fair deal. Still plenty of Freo fans wanting that plus another one.

Gold Coast and GWS took whoever they wanted when they were established. Sydney screwed over Adelaide and Hawthorn for Tippett and Buddy. Geelong threw in some real estate to pry Smith away. Adelaide dodged GWS like Scotty from Marketing has dodged the media so they could walk in Hately for nothing.

Clubs act in their own best interests all the time. Dodo has made a career and reputation out of it.

I'd love for Hawthorn to have the balls and say from day one of the trade period, that we won't be engaging in trade talks with Fremantle regarding Adam Cerra because he has agreed to join us via the PSD. It's a lever available to clubs at the bottom of the ladder to help them rebuild and it should be used more frequently to be honest.

and you know this could backfire 5-10 years down the track as well.

and you know this could backfire 5-10 years down the track as well.
Absolutely. It already has. No club has lost more talent to Free Agency than Hawthorn. PSD is another very select form of this if you think about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are making the assumption that is something that Cerra will do.
He's not "desperate" to get back, he's actually quite happy here and with the team.
He will go back eventually, the question he hasn't decided yet is now or later.

Do you think the AFL would have anything to say about this?

Haha, yes poor old Hawthorn and their lack of success, you should stick it to us perennial winners and bullies, the mighty Freo Dockers.

None of your examples are applicable, the closest one is Hately who currently looks like he went to Adelaide on about his actual value...

Cerra to Richmond gives me huge O'Meara to Hawthorn vibes. A good young player going to a team that's at the end of their cycle and trying to ride on their coattails to one last bit of success.

Yeah I mentioned a few pages back, our 1st rounder will be top 10 now and thats pretty close to a fair deal. Still plenty of Freo fans wanting that plus another one.
Would you trade both your firsts for Cerra and Fremantles second or Future second?

The way about 4 clubs are bending over backwards to AVOID the 8, you could still literally fall into 8 because everyone else was shitter.

You and I are reasonably close, unless he keeps putting out 30 touch, 2 goal games the last month then I might move to the whole 2 good 1sts with a 2nd back package =p

Would you trade both your firsts for Cerra and Fremantles second or Future second?

I genuinely think a top 10 pick is fair. He doesnt scream star to me, but he does appear to have the makings of a very good player.

The way about 4 clubs are bending over backwards to AVOID the 8, you could still literally fall into 8 because everyone else was shitter.

You and I are reasonably close, unless he keeps putting out 30 touch, 2 goal games the last month then I might move to the whole 2 good 1sts with a 2nd back package =p

Its ridiculous how the results have kept falling our way to give the 8 a shot, yet we continue to try our best to close that door haha.

He had a good second half on the weekend. Did he man Heeney on the wing for the whole game or am I confused?

Haha, yes poor old Hawthorn and their lack of success, you should stick it to us perennial winners and bullies, the mighty Freo Dockers.

None of your examples are applicable, the closest one is Hately who currently looks like he went to Adelaide on about his actual value...
They are all applicable mate. I'm not sure what you are talking about. Clubs do and will continue to use whatever levers they have at their disposal to improve their list. If Adam agreed to join us, Hawthorn would not be breaking any rules by refusing to entertain a trade.

Do you think Sydney gave a s**t about how we felt by putting in an offer that we just couldn't match so they'd get Franklin for free? Do you think we wouldn't sit down with Sydney as a club to work out a trade deal now if there was mutual benefit involved? Of course we would. I know the thought of potentially losing him for no compensation is uncomfortable but it's a scenario that could play out.

Do you think the AFL would have anything to say about this?
What can they say? What particular rule is being broken? Just like the AFL weren't happy with GC handing over pick 2 for Weller, there wasn't really anything they could do about it because no rules were broken.

What can they say? What particular rule is being broken? Just like the AFL weren't happy with GC handing over pick 2 for Weller, there wasn't really anything they could do about it because no rules were broken.
When your offering far unders or walk to pre season draft they will have something to say.

Back